Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to swintec

Re: [Cable] Welp, my first TSI rant - looking for help

Nods. You know this, I know this. Other end users know this.

But its tricksy... incumbents and tariffs stipulate the units (new modems) MUST go through an approval proccess. And for rCable for instance it costs around $8,000 something just to submit a unit for testing... I think three units or something has to be put in each time and run the testing gamut.
The end results isn't guaranteed either if they choose not to approve then thats $8K+ down the drain...

Each incumbent vendor has a different modem approval cost and rating as outlined in the tariffs each submitted to the CRTC. I think cCable was the more expensive one out of them all.

Anyways, more on that here: TPIA Modem Testing (CanadianBroadband) and various other threads via the main DSLr Search tool at the top of the boards.
--

!- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -!
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = @TwiztedZero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

KPaul

join:2007-02-08
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to KPaul

So an update...

After a level 3 escalation because both Rogers system was down, and they never bothered to get back to TSI, they are now saying essentially "you can have UP TO" the speeds of 45/4... even though my original 28/1 was much more stable, consistent, and times, faster....... I've been told to do a NEW top to bottom "full troubleshooting", and because it will be a new ticket, my priority will be back to C1, vs C3 (high priority). The thing that's odd is that my ping and everything is ok (10-40's (the 40's shouldn't be that high I have heard)). However, there are times when download speeds go from 10, to 35 (never 45) down, while uploads peak at 3.75, and are usually 3.7.

I am at a loss as to how to get a tech out to see what's up (if anything) with the line. I will be resubmitting another troubleshooting, when I am having these wonky speeds, but to catch those at the time is hard as hell, and even when the speeds are off, my ping seems stable. How do I actually get someone out here to see if it's a line issue, if I can't reasonably show that there is an issue, aside from download speed?

wtf... (sad face)
--
Damn ATPIA...

Jayar

join:2005-01-16
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by KPaul:

So an update...

After a level 3 escalation because both Rogers system was down, and they never bothered to get back to TSI, they are now saying essentially "you can have UP TO" the speeds of 45/4... even though my original 28/1 was much more stable, consistent, and times, faster....... I've been told to do a NEW top to bottom "full troubleshooting", and because it will be a new ticket, my priority will be back to C1, vs C3 (high priority). The thing that's odd is that my ping and everything is ok (10-40's (the 40's shouldn't be that high I have heard)). However, there are times when download speeds go from 10, to 35 (never 45) down, while uploads peak at 3.75, and are usually 3.7.

I am at a loss as to how to get a tech out to see what's up (if anything) with the line. I will be resubmitting another troubleshooting, when I am having these wonky speeds, but to catch those at the time is hard as hell, and even when the speeds are off, my ping seems stable. How do I actually get someone out here to see if it's a line issue, if I can't reasonably show that there is an issue, aside from download speed?

wtf... (sad face)

Weird, I'm having a similar issue but I've been on Aggregated since McNicoll was switched over. Pings seem OK, if a little higher than I remember, but down speeds are 1/3 of what I normally get. Uploads peak at around that area as well.

I've opened up a direct thread, but I'll report back here of any updates.

I'm using a DCM 476.

KPaul

Motorola here. Good luck!
--
Damn ATPIA...

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to TwiztedZero

said by TwiztedZero:

No its an action not wanted by the MSO network, not the manufacturer. Its a system of control because they have to look after the "health of their HFC network".

I don't buy that excuse for a second. There are American and European providers that have no problem accepting essentially any modem you bring to their network.

Jayar

join:2005-01-16
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to KPaul

said by KPaul:

Motorola here. Good luck!

Speeds as well as ping have improved over the hour. Maybe this is congestion?

KPaul

Been ongoing since the switch to atpia
--
Damn ATPIA...

BTC Kevin

join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to KPaul

OP could be like I was with my old SB6121.

When I bough the modem Rogers was still pushing out firmwares. The modem came with 1.0.2.x on it from factory.

Once installed Rogers did the push to 1.0.5.x And I received it. Then a few months later they changed the req. to 1.0.6.1. But they ended up NEVER pushed the 1.0.6.1 to it before cancelling pushing firmwares to these modems. The final FW push for 1.0.6.1 only pushed to the SB6120's.

In the end I ended up with a SB6121 - 1.0.5.x modem that Rogers wont Troubleshoot. And the firmware on it was one they installed.

I've since switched to DCM47x's.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to 34764170

said by 34764170:

I don't buy that excuse for a second. There are American and European providers that have no problem accepting essentially any modem you bring to their network.

The American networks are set up differently for starters. However I've heard elsewheres on the Canadian broadband boards, talk of CNOC making a similar push to essentially allow any Docsis 3.0 certified modem to be used, since Docsis 3.0 standardized now a days.
--

!- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -!
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = @TwiztedZero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

Etobicoke, ON

said by TwiztedZero:

The American networks are set up differently for starters. However I've heard elsewheres on the Canadian broadband boards, talk of CNOC making a similar push to essentially allow any Docsis 3.0 certified modem to be used, since Docsis 3.0 standardized now a days.

There is nothing fundamentally different between these networks. The chipsets, firmware and provisioning is the same.

oceros

join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by 34764170:

said by TwiztedZero:

There is nothing fundamentally different between these networks. The chipsets, firmware and provisioning is the same.

Doesn't rogers just ignore half of the docsis 3 standard though?

Etobicoke, ON

What exactly are you getting at? The equipment we use here is exactly the same as what is utilized in the US or Europe. It's not like we're talking about Bell with their old DSLAMs with pre-spec VDSL2 chipsets and having to use Sagemcom's with custom firmware so as to be compatible with their DSLAMs.

KPaul

Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to KPaul

so back on track...

"I am at a loss as to how to get a tech out to see what's up (if anything) with the line. I will be resubmitting another troubleshooting, when I am having these wonky speeds, but to catch those at the time is hard as hell, and even when the speeds are off, my ping seems stable. How do I actually get someone out here to see if it's a line issue, if I can't reasonably show that there is an issue, aside from download speed?"
--
Damn ATPIA...

Pir8pete

join:2003-09-05
Ottawa, ON
reply to KPaul

to get a tech out, just say your cable line is falling apart, they'll come and fix you all up.
your power levels and noise are close to the limits, get them fixed, homie. The fw upgrade to 6.1 was the way to go, now just fix the line, trust me. Ex cable tech here

--
:Firmware upgrade Team:
mlord See Profile (Ottawa) - DCM475 & DCM476
Pir8pete See Profile (Ottawa) - SB6120 & SB6121
Teddy Boom See Profile (GTA) - DCM475, DCM476, SB6120 & SB6121
zinc See Profile (Waterloo/Kitchener) - DCM475 & DCM476

Fervid

join:2013-02-20
reply to KPaul

said by KPaul:

so back on track...

"I am at a loss as to how to get a tech out to see what's up (if anything) with the line. I will be resubmitting another troubleshooting, when I am having these wonky speeds, but to catch those at the time is hard as hell, and even when the speeds are off, my ping seems stable. How do I actually get someone out here to see if it's a line issue, if I can't reasonably show that there is an issue, aside from download speed?"

This is where I was at with my issue as well. Rogers said nothing is wrong with their network. I don't blame Teksavvy for the issue because it's just not their fault and they did try to escalate a 2nd ticket to Rogers. However in the end I get fed up of waiting and decided to order a DSL package instead.

There is obviously an issue as I never once had any issues before the upgrades happened. This whole experience has left a very bad taste in my mouth and Teksavvy would have lost a customer if they didn't have other options available.

KPaul

reply to Pir8pete

Falling apart? How would I word that, given that the last two tickets have been due to random download speeds? I mean, I'd have to send something to TSI so they could send it to rogers
--
Damn ATPIA...

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20

Tell them you can see physical damage on the coaxial cable. Maybe even go and make some..
Hint: alcohol can disinfect before you start chewing on it

I mean.. I don't exactly advocate sabotage. But, you clearly have a slight signal problem, and a little push to get things addressed isn't such a bad idea. Be careful though, you don't want to do something they'll have trouble finding, or that causes a lot of needless work..

--
electronicsguru.ca

KPaul

Don't know if I'm ready to go sabotage and squirrel my wires just yet, as I was hoping to inflate the issue, not cause a new one, but I see what you guys are getting at.
--
Damn ATPIA...

elitedev

join:2013-05-05
Chatham, ON

Throw a splitter on the line, should knock you out of spec and just don't mention the splitter on the call. If Rogers does their remote testing, they will see that the modem is not in spec and get you your dispatch. After you have confirmation on the dispatch date, then you can just remove the splitter and advise the tech when he arrives that the issue is intermittent, and he will notice the poor signal and hopefully improve it for you. No sabotage required =)

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
reply to KPaul

Can you post what your signal stats look like right now KPaul?