how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jrm2011

join:2013-07-28
Poplarville, MS

What exactly is the max user rate for?

I have the pro plan, which has a max user rate somewhere near 5800, but I never see speeds faster than 3.0mbps. Is this a false claim to how fast my speed could go?

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:6
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
Max rate is a measure of the frequency headroom on the line and how much bandwidth that equates to given the particular DSL protocol that your gateway is talking to your DSLAM/RT or VRAD.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to jrm2011
AT&T sells a tiered service. To qualify for the 6.0 Mbps tier, max user rate has to be, I believe, 7000, or better; but the 6.0 Mbps tier will be capped at 6016.

Your max user rate is too low for the 6.0 Mbps tier (can't reach 6016 sync), so they will only offer you the 3.0 Mbps tier.

Other providers will sell closer to the max user rate as an, "up to" speed, instead of artificially capped tiers. It is just a matter of Corporate policy.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

jrm2011

Poplarville, MS
reply to jrm2011
Charter offers a 30/4 connection to my house, but because I live so far off of the road (clear open field between my house and the road) I could never afford to get the cable run to my house itself.

hyphenated

@bellsouth.net
Did you find out exactly how much? I checked on that once in a similar situation for someone and cable co wanted, ah seems like 500-700 but it wasn't over a thousand I know. I think it was a few hundred feet. Don't know exactly. But you may want to ask again! And be sure

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3
reply to jrm2011
Is it your open field (your land from house to road)? Put a tardis near road, roofed with solar panels to a UPS, get them to hook you up there. Add your own microwave link back to house...

hyphenated

@bellsouth.net
Microwave, serious? If that was your only option a $500 install fee is nothing. Hell get your electric company to drop a meter and run your own fiber.

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
reply to brookeKrige
said by brookeKrige:

Is it your open field (your land from house to road)? Put a tardis near road, roofed with solar panels to a UPS, get them to hook you up there. Add your own microwave link back to house...

I forget where I read it - It may been in one of the forums here -- but someone actually talked their cable company into installing HSI in a little "shed" near the edge of their property (that was near the cable providers tap) and then they (customer) used professional wifi gear to get the signal to their house further back on the property -- I wish I remembered which forum it was in.

jrm2011

Poplarville, MS
reply to jrm2011
Well I was told it would be $20-50 per foor, and yes it is my field.

jrm2011

Poplarville, MS
reply to jrm2011
Oh yea, did I mention my house is 1500ft from the yard? No way I'm paying anyone that kind of money to pay for their service. 3mbps it is until something better or affordablish shows up.

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
reply to jrm2011
Yeah, I would stick a NID on the edge of the property in a shed, and then run the cable myself from the shed to the house. You could rent a ditch witch and run the cable from the shed to your house underground no problem. Get a really good cable to run the signal from the shed to your house, something like burial grade QR-320 (or if you really wanted to go full out, QR-860), in bulk, wouldn't be too bad, and it would do an excellent job of keeping the signal intact from the shed to your house.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
reply to jrm2011
A quick Google search turns up a 1000 foot spool of burial grade quad shield RG-6 for $76.39 + s/h and tax.

»www.cablingplus.com/products/rg6···e-1000ft

Another quick Google search turns up a rate of $235/day to rent a Ditch Witch trencher. I bet you could negotiate something for a partial day even. It may take you a couple hours plus loading and hauling back and forth on either end. Maybe 4 hours total.

»www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment···tid=s185

To be honest though, I'm not sure what the distance limitations are for the signal on RG-6 and if it requires amplification. There may be additional requirements. You'd also want someone to come out and mark all the utilities so you could plan where to trench and then actually measure it.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

jrm2011

Poplarville, MS
reply to jrm2011
I'll be honest, I'm in nursing school and will only be at this house with my parents for two more years. But the very first step I will be looking at in home buying is how fast the internet can get in the house I'll be looking at.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to rolande
Do you realize how much line loss there is in 1000ft of RG-6?

Note: I've tried feeding a signal through a new spool, just for grins, with a 22db amp... all I got was noise (using a power meter) at the other end.

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
said by cramer:

Note: I've tried feeding a signal through a new spool, just for grins, with a 22db amp... all I got was noise (using a power meter) at the other end.

Hence the reason why I suggested QR cabling. I bet it would work with QR-320.

TestBoy
Premium
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·tw telecom
said by Paralel:

said by cramer:

Hence the reason why I suggested QR cabling. I bet it would work with QR-320.

^^ this.
You need hardline at 1000 feet..... anything less is just crazy.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to Paralel
Negative. Look. At. The. Specs. Attenuation: 2.98db/100ft@600MHz, 3.34db/100ft@750. At his 1500ft, that's in the neighborhood of 50db. In other words, no signal at the end of it. It'll need a beefy amp, on both ends.

TestBoy
Premium
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·tw telecom
reply to jrm2011
Running coax or hardline over 1500 feet is sketchy as it is.
I have done this before on a shorter run (700 feet) and it was touchy and not that stable.

The ultimate solution was to drop multimode fiber and a pair of media converters.
Modem on one end with a computer and a computer on the other end .. worked just fine.

It also had the added bonus of not killing cable modems every time there was a strong thunderstorm.
(yes both ends were grounded... didn't seem to matter)

Not exactly a cheap project, hardline or fiber.... your going to spend a grand on it at minimum.

jrm2011

Poplarville, MS
reply to jrm2011
At the expense of sounding like a complete idiot, cable service cannot be run through my phone line run to my house can it?

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
Nope

jrm2011

Poplarville, MS
reply to jrm2011
I will keep reminding myself that I only have 2 more years then lol