Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Christopher69

join:2001-09-19
Brooklyn, NY

Router

Hello,
I come to find out I have the ultra speed for my internet. I have a old router. I have a Linksys WRT54GS. I am assuming that since this is a old router it can not give me that top speed. I tried a firmware upgrade and still the same speeds as I had before the ultra upgrade. What is the best router to get to work with the optimum ultra speed. When I connect the internet direct from the modem to my PC I get the ultra speed, but when I go through the router I get boost speeds.

I know this is asked before..and I tried reading the thread but actually made my head spin. So I am asking what would be the best router for the optimum ultra speeds? Something that is not crazy priced yet will give me the best speeds, for my PC, PS3 and wireless.

Thanks

LAter

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1

What's your budget?

Christopher69

Brooklyn, NY
reply to Christopher69

$100 to $150 but if I can get a good one for less just want something that will work and last

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
reply to Christopher69

Do you have (or plan on getting) anything that can use 5GHz wireless (vs. 2.4GHz)?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Christopher69

The ASUS RT-N66u is pretty good

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
reply to Christopher69

Linksys EA4500, Netgear WNDR3700 or higher, Apple AirPort Extreme -- seriously -- take your pick of just about any high end consumer grade router. You'll find lovers and haters of just about every one. Read some Amazon or Newegg reviews and go for it.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
reply to Christopher69

Very happy with the Asus RT-N66U loaded with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Christopher69

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/rankers/router/view
»reviews.cnet.com/best-wireless-routers/

Look at what kind of features they have and (you don't really need any of then) buy what suits you.

There's no point yet in buying router with 802.11ac. That spec is not standard yet and there's no guarantee existing hardware will be compatible with it. Stick with 802.11n.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

Christopher69

Brooklyn, NY
reply to Christopher69

Hello,
Thanks for the info. I am going to look into the Linksys EA4500 and the ASUS RT-N66U. Only thing I see with the ASUS RT-N66U, a lot of complains about the fireware. I know I could update, but it does sort of make me want to take a second look.

Price will have a little affect, I just want something that will give me the top speed with the ultra service and will work for a while. My current router is about 6 to 7 years old.

Thanks again. One I get one and set it up will post my result.

This site is the best..always get the best info from here.

LAter

Christopher69

Brooklyn, NY
reply to Tursiops_G

Hello,
now sure what you mean? Can you explain more..thanks

Christopher69

Brooklyn, NY
reply to RickNY

That fireware is that custom or from Asus?

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky
kudos:3
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Optimum Online

The complaints on the RT-N66 firmware were a long time ago with the initial/early versions that shipped. If you buy one today, and update to the latest available firmware before putting it "into service" you will not see any of those issues - ASUS has fixed them.

The Merlin firmware is a custom set based off the ASUS firmware with additional features - many people use it and like it better than the stock ASUS.

I have an RT-AC66U - and have not had the time to update it to Merlin. Frankly, I've seen no need as the stock firmware just works. YMMV
--
Ad astra per alas porci!!

blohner

join:2002-06-26
Cortlandt Manor, NY

Stock RT-N66 here with 3.0.0.4.271 Firmware. Rock solid - and handles Ultra 101 with ease...
--
I am addicted to speed --- Ultra101 speed that is ---

Christopher69

Brooklyn, NY
reply to Christopher69

Just ordered the Asus..should get it by next week. Let you know how it goes.

LAter

Christopher69

Brooklyn, NY
reply to dbmaven

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to stick with the stock firmware.

Ken Peterson
Premium
join:2000-12-08
kudos:3
reply to Christopher69

said by Christopher69:

Just ordered the Asus..should get it by next week. Let you know how it goes.

Just in case you wanted to save some coin, I've been using the Netgear WNR3500L for a couple years.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33122334

Someone built up a website when this came out to "exploit" this router's ability to support 3rd party firmwares (something us DD-WRT/Tomato, etc folks have been doing for years) but more suited for newcomers.

»www.myopenrouter.com/

They must have been in cahoots with Netgear as the box for the WNR3500L mentioned the site.

At any rate, it's an alternative less-expensive option - and might help someone else in a fairly powerful router.

Christopher69

Brooklyn, NY

Thanks for the info...I already ordered the Asus and see how it goes. I don't mind spending some coin if the product does what it should and last for a while. My router now is years old.

Will check out the the myopenrouter.com Looks a little too complicated for me. If I ever get some free time I will look into it...ah the magic words..."Free Time".

Growing up sucks...thanks again.

LAter

flatline_

join:2003-01-18

said by Christopher69:

Thanks for the info...I already ordered the Asus and see how it goes. I don't mind spending some coin if the product does what it should and last for a while. My router now is years old.

Will check out the the myopenrouter.com Looks a little too complicated for me. If I ever get some free time I will look into it...ah the magic words..."Free Time".

Growing up sucks...thanks again.

LAter

Any updates on this? How did you like the Asus? I just ordered one myself, should have it tomorrow. Will report my findings. Hereis what I tend to get on avg, with my cisco e2500:

MENINBLK
Premium
join:2000-01-25
Yonkers, NY
reply to Christopher69

I am using a Western Digital My Net N750 Router and it works great !!!
Easy to install and easy to use, plus I get full speed from my network !!

Pete...
--
VISTA - The best thing to happen to Apple!

flatline_

join:2003-01-18
reply to Christopher69

REceived the RT-N66U this evening, was up and running within a few minutes. Pretty decent increase as compared to my E2500. Wireless speed and range are much improved as well.