spc
Search similar:

uniqs

tcat007
join:2010-10-04
Austin, TX

tcat007

ViaTalk vs Ooma

I have ViaTalk, 2 months from renew. Been fairly happy for the past 3 or 4 years. One or two frequently called numbers have static, but tolerable, but the reason I'm considering options.

I ordered an Ooma Telo to try out. Gets much better reviews than ViaTalk. My question is, if I put the Ooma before my router with a temporary number, and leave my Pap2 after my router for ViaTalk... can I test both at once? ie: can I receive a call on Ooma, and another call on ViaTalk, either at same time or one after the other?

Anyone else made this switch?

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey

Premium Member

Have never used ooma but having multiple voip ata is no problem.

I think the ooma device can be placed behind the router also. In front of the router you start getting into double nat and that can cause all sorts of problems.
k2rj
Premium Member
join:2005-03-24
Cape Canaveral, FL

k2rj to tcat007

Premium Member

to tcat007
The only time I ever hear "static" is when talking to my daughter on her MagicJack phone, usually when her husband is Skyping with friends. It's caused by poor uplink QOS control on her side. Poor cellphone quality isn't even "static" anymore, but echo, dropouts and just poor audio quality. I'd be very surprised if Ooma would give you better quality (unless the problem with these calls is the upstream provider.