how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TopShelf

join:2010-06-25
reply to DevilFrank

Re: Don´t Let Browsers Store Your Passwords

The dumbest example short of leaving your usernames and passwords written on paper beside your computer is listed inside your Favorites.

For example, the username and password for Yahoo would be listed as such in the Favorites folder:

Yahoo - UN Dumbo - PW Elephant

I found these little gems on a pal's computer. And we're talking usernames and passwords to social networking sites, banks, investment firms, and their remote access to the corporate LAN.

They thought it incredibly ingenious, I thought it incredibly stupid and told them so.
--
The only thing North Korea could wipe out in four minutes is a South Korean all-you-can-eat buffet.

GuruGuy

join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA
said by TopShelf:

The dumbest example short of leaving your usernames and passwords written on paper beside your computer is listed inside your Favorites.

For example, the username and password for Yahoo would be listed as such in the Favorites folder:

Yahoo - UN Dumbo - PW Elephant

I found these little gems on a pal's computer. And we're talking usernames and passwords to social networking sites, banks, investment firms, and their remote access to the corporate LAN.

They thought it incredibly ingenious, I thought it incredibly stupid and told them so.

That's funny. I know someone who does the same thing.
--
GuruGuy

angussf
Premium
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ
kudos:4
reply to DevilFrank
NirSoft has some free tools to "recover" browser and other passwords:
Password Recovery Utilities
»www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html···rd_utils
WebBrowserPassView - Recover lost passwords stored in your Web browser
»www.nirsoft.net/utils/web_browse···ord.html
WebBrowserPassView is a password recovery tool that reveals the passwords stored by the following Web browsers: Internet Explorer (Version 4.0 - 10.0), Mozilla Firefox (All Versions), Google Chrome, Safari, and Opera. This tool can be used to recover your lost/forgotten password of any Website, including popular Web sites, like Facebook, Yahoo, Google, and GMail, as long as the password is stored by your Web Browser.
--
Angus S-F
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona, USA
»geoapps.com/
»www.linkedin.com/in/angussf
»geoapps.blogspot.com/

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
said by angussf:

NirSoft has some free tools to "recover" browser and other passwords:

They do. But..... "Currently, WebBrowserPassView cannot retrieve the passwords if they are encrypted with a master password. Support for master password will probably be added in future versions."

The advice in the linked article is still valid. Firefox with a decent master password still a good choice.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
said by Ian:

Firefox with a decent master password still a good choice.

Yup and I'm not concerned about anyone accessing FF"s password database (physically or remotely). In either case it's "game over" IMO. In the case of physical access an intruder can use anything (keys, wallet, phone etc) not just my PC's. A remote intruder can install a keylogger etc so my passwords are compromised anyway.

At the time of use any password storage mechanism (browser or otherwise) has to decrypt it's data to enter the password in clear text (e.g. into a web form that is POST'ed).
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to Dude111

Re:  

You mean like DSLreports had done for years, until a few years ago.