spc
uniqs
Dreyfus
join:2013-02-18

Dreyfus to humanfilth

to humanfilth

Re: Netflix spoofing may no longer work with Telus ADSL

said by humanfilth:

Telus is nice that you can use your own Modem or gateway. But they will not provide support if you experience any service issues when using it.

I was not given that choice. Either take the combo unit (modem+router), or else take my business elsewhere. Are you sure about this? If so, I am willing to call them again.
said by humanfilth:

If you go for Teksavvy, make sure what type of DSL you will be on(Adsl or Vdsl). The Vdsl line cards can be set to run on an Adsl signal(maximum 15Mbps for Adsl speed).

The only TekSavvy DSL service available to me is 25Mbps, so I assume it is VDSL. But I will just buy the appropriate modem whichever it is. My issue is to have complete control over the router, so I can set the private routes to use unblock-us with the PS3.
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

i have never heard telus saying u cant use ur own router, you just cant have there router/modem combo bridged, this does not mean you cant use your own router, whoever told you that did not know what they were talking about, i actually called to cancel my telus today so tmrw/30th is my last day, and when i did call to cancel i mentioned about how it sucked that telus didnt offer bridge mode, and the girl said well u can still use ur own router if u want it doesnt have to be bridged

just ordered my rt-ac66u today, cant wait to get it bridged on my shaw connection
Dreyfus

Dreyfus

said by 18286719:

i have never heard telus saying u cant use ur own router, you just cant have there router/modem combo bridged, this does not mean you cant use your own router, whoever told you that did not know what they were talking about

If you can't bridge the router/modem combo, then how can you use your own router? Are you saying that Telus will provide stand-alone modems?

Darhole
Premium Member
join:2005-06-14
Edmonton, AB
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Asus RT-AC87
Actiontec T3200M

Darhole

Premium Member

You CAN bridge the Telus gateways. They will not provide this info to you however. There are numerous locations where this information is provided. We have posted in many threads how to do so. We do not however, give out the root passwords for the devices. However, google will.

I have spoken with one Level 2 at Telus who was willing to provide bridge details when he figured out we were on the same wavelength.

You can use your own router if you have Fibre to the home. You can use your own gateway providing you configure it properly, which with Telus firmware comes pre setup.

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

humanfilth to Dreyfus

to Dreyfus
said by Dreyfus:

The only TekSavvy DSL service available to me is 25Mbps, so I assume it is VDSL. But I will just buy the appropriate modem whichever it is. My issue is to have complete control over the router, so I can set the private routes to use unblock-us with the PS3.

I'm pretty sure you can get all the speed ranges on Teksavvy(6, 15 25Mbps) and not just 25Mbps(which is Vdsl). Their service uses PPPoE to authenticate the connection. I guess when they sell you the Zyxel gateway, they have it per-configured for their settings. I guess it is stock Zyxel firmware without custom skins to hide stuff.

Maybe late 2013 for Teksavvy to get 50Mbps from Telus.
»[DSL] 50mbps telus yet?

google search terms for elevating a Telus gateway.
telus bridge gateway

You can bridge your own router to avoid double NAT and the gateway gives out the IP's, for those that need a better wireless router signal or extra lan ports.

Telus(and other ISP's) like to keep things as simple as possible for call support and 90% of their customers. Modifying the gateway to bridge mode is super duper fun, provided you don't screw things up. But thats what the reset button on the back is for to reset back to stock Telus.
[start sarcasm] Things that deviate from the call support script obviously do not exist and are impossible and we can't see your gateway to update it back to stock and please quit calling and asking why you can't use your own router and modem. [end sarcasm]
Dreyfus

Dreyfus to Darhole

to Darhole
said by Darhole:

You CAN bridge the Telus gateways. They will not provide this info to you however. There are numerous locations where this information is provided. We have posted in many threads how to do so. We do not however, give out the root passwords for the devices. However, google will.

I am not going to all that trouble, only to end up with an unsupported configuration, when I can just get the stand-alone modem from Shaw or Teksavvy DSL.
said by humanfilth:

I'm pretty sure you can get all the speed ranges on Teksavvy(6, 15 25Mbps) and not just 25Mbps(which is Vdsl).

I was told by TekSavvy that only 25mbps ports are available in my area.
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

if your on the 25 or the 50, the telus actiontec in bridge mode is actually a pretty good setup, it may seem super complicated but once u got it done it will seem simple and u can use any router u want with no double nat issues

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

humanfilth to Dreyfus

to Dreyfus
said by Dreyfus:

I was told by TekSavvy that only 25mbps ports are available in my area.

Weird. Maybe Teksavvy has to purchase a certain minimum speed from Telus for the users on each specific Vdsl system. Otherwise Telus loses out on a few bucks of the wholesale price that Teksavvy pays if the user took 6Mbps.

somrandomguy
@distributel.net

1 recommendation

somrandomguy to Darhole

Anon

to Darhole
said by Darhole:

The latest firmware batch on actiontec v1000ah cannot be, but the older ones or gigaset or the awful 2wires can still. Telus removed the higher level user accounts on actiontec. Bridge mode is not supported anymore sadly.

notsosure
@telus.net

notsosure

Anon

said by somrandomguy :

said by Darhole:

The latest firmware batch on actiontec v1000ah cannot be, but the older ones or gigaset or the awful 2wires can still. Telus removed the higher level user accounts on actiontec. Bridge mode is not supported anymore sadly.

i'm not so sure about that... it may be not be possible if you have the latest firmware but i thought if you disconnected the v1000h from the phone line, did a factory reset, you could log in using the old accounts and set bridge mode before it was pushed the newer restricted firmware?
rotohoto
join:2012-03-31
canada

rotohoto to somrandomguy

to somrandomguy
said by somrandomguy :

Bridge mode is not supported anymore sadly.

If that's true that is ridiculous, and grounds for looking elsewhere for services imo.

Darhole
Premium Member
join:2005-06-14
Edmonton, AB
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Asus RT-AC87
Actiontec T3200M

Darhole to somrandomguy

Premium Member

to somrandomguy
said by somrandomguy :

said by Darhole:

I have the latest .57 firmware bridged. The key is to factory reset after the update with the phone cable unplugged, disable tr69, and then hook it up and bridge. If done like this you have latest firmware without scrambled root passwords.

fourboxers
Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto

fourboxers to 18286719

Mod

to 18286719

(topic move) Netflix spoofing may no longer work with Telus ADSL

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 18 followups to it), have been removed.