spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

internalaudi

join:2012-02-29

Does Bell still throttle Electronic Box DSL customers?

When I run speedtest, I do see 25/9-10 but when I tested my internet connection last night around 8-9pm, I noticed that streaming of 1080p Youtube videos were not fast. Although there is a buffer (grey bar) of a few seconds over the playback (red bar), the buffer was not lengthening at all.

In addition, I ran a test by playing through XBMC a streaming file (with five file parts) that was less than 480p video and noticed that playback always caught up with the buffering. I think I had press the space bar more than 20 times for a 30 minute show.

How should I be testing my download speed aside from Youtube and XBMC video streaming, to ascertain that it's those networks that are congested and not my internet speed being throttled? Should I try downloading a large file from a huge server to test out? What file/server combination would you recommend?

Or is this Bell mainly throttling third party ISP's on its network?

I will see if I can set the Sagemcom modem as a pass through device and have my own DD-WRT router do all the heavy lifting for everything.

Thanks in advance.

GuiGQc

join:2012-02-22
Gatineau, QC
said by internalaudi:

When I run speedtest, I do see 25/9-10 but when I tested my internet connection last night around 8-9pm, I noticed that streaming of 1080p Youtube videos were not fast.

It looks like it's Youtube's servers. 8-9PM is the bussiest time of the day, you might not reach enough speed to load 1080p videos.

Sometimes, it's just bugged, and a refresh fixes it. Other times, there might just be too many people on Youtube during peak times.

said by internalaudi:

Or is this Bell mainly throttling third party ISP's on its network?

I don't think any ISP is allowed to throttle anymore, so I don't think Bell would dare doing it still.

internalaudi

Thanks GuiGQc.

I got this response from Electronic Box just now:
=====
Hi,

Unfortunately the Sagemcom bridge mode is capped. You will not get the full bandwidth.

=====
Does this mean Youtube, Netfix and other streaming services will always feel slow on Electronic Box? They weren't when I was with Bell DSL. And both modems are the same Sagemcom modem.

Do I have to resort to this to put the Sagemcom modem purely in bridge mode?

»[DSL] Sagemcom F@ST 2864 bridge mode guide

Thank you.

GuiGQc

join:2012-02-22
Gatineau, QC
reply to internalaudi
So the limitations would come from the modem?

internalaudi

said by GuiGQc:

So the limitations would come from the modem?

Doubtful. 25/10 is my subscribed speed over at Electronic Box and with newsgroup, I can almost saturate that between 2.8-3.0 MBps, of course using the same modem.

Must be throttling of some sort.

martyb

join:2013-05-18
Wemindji, QC
reply to internalaudi
said by internalaudi:

Thanks GuiGQc.

I got this response from Electronic Box just now:
=====
Hi,

Unfortunately the Sagemcom bridge mode is capped. You will not get the full bandwidth.

=====
Does this mean Youtube, Netfix and other streaming services will always feel slow on Electronic Box? They weren't when I was with Bell DSL. And both modems are the same Sagemcom modem.

Do I have to resort to this to put the Sagemcom modem purely in bridge mode?

»[DSL] Sagemcom F@ST 2864 bridge mode guide

Thank you.

why would they tell you this. And are you in bridged mode already? Because if you are not in bridge mode this capped bandwith thing doesn't even apply.

And as for bridge mode capping, I believe in bridge mode you can hope to achieve 35Mbps from what I read, so the 25Mbps should be no problem.

And lastly, when you run a speedtest you are getting 25Mbps so you can put aside the modem theory for now.

what do you see on your speedtests when you notice that youtube is slow? that is the real question

internalaudi

1 edit
^ Thanks Martyb, I've heard that speedtest can be an unreliable way to determine speed throughput since for many Rogers cable customers with those burst (whatchamacallit) feature, they will see lighting fast speed which can't be sustained anyway.

It could be youtube during primetime but even xbmc streaming of 480p video is plagued with extreme slowness. I'll test out a huge download today (500 MB files from Microsoft) and see how long it takes to get the file.

I haven't switched to pure bridge mode though and as I understand, don't really need to because I'm only at 25/10 anyway.

I'm surprise Electronic Box is blaming the modem when it should clearly be able to handle 25/10 anyway. I hope Electronic Box Tech Support doesn't turn out to become like Teksavvy's Tech Support where it's always my or Bell's fault.

martyb

join:2013-05-18
Wemindji, QC
I am sure you are not being BSed by tech support. Also, I am sure nobody is throttleing your connection. As long as you are not running torrents through your sagemcom you should be fine to stream video on your 25Mb connection, provided the sync you get is not flakey. Run some speedtests the next time your youtube seems slow to be sure.

I would ask for clarification an context on that ebox reply about the modem not being able to give full bandwith. That sounds like a misunderstanding.