uniqs

Jeff N
@198.45.247.x

1 edit

Jeff N

Anon

[Exede] 5 gig of usage in two days!

I just emailed the below to Exceed/WildBlue

The issue I am trying to understand is how I use the extra 5gigs of allowance I purchased for $50 on Sunday, July 28th in just two days when:
• I do not watch movies.
• I do not play games.
• I do not listen to music on line.
• I do not use the cloud for photos or movies.
• My cell phones are not smart phones and do not even work in our mountain community.
• I only update my Adobe CC products at work 60 miles away. It does not auto-update.
• I used the computer very little on Sunday, July 28th and worked offsite, never using the computer Monday, July 29th.
• My wife uses her iPad very little and only for reading checking the weather.

I have a laptop and my wife an iPad networked in to a 2TB Time Capsule.
• Backups are done via network cable.
• Computers are maintained by a certified MAC professional.

What my wife and I did do on the computer and iPad on Sunday, July 28th and Monday, July 29th was:
• Used the laptop for about 1.5 hours on Sunday emailing my daughter small web graphics for a website she is developing—I have been a graphic designer for 33 years.
• I did use Face Time on the iPad for no more than 10 minutes on Sunday (30 megs usage?).
• I DID NOT use the computer at home all on Monday. I worked from my second office 60 miles away.
• My wife had no attachments on emails at all Sunday or Monday
• I had a few attachments on emails totaling about 1 meg.

To use 5gigs I two days is so far beyond the realm of possibility and logic.

Any ideas?

I have contacted my MAC consulter to review my system on this issue.

Please let me know additional information you need from me to uncover this issue either on my system or yours.

Thank you for you work on this,

P.S. Please note: I know your corporate office says the Usage Graph is accurate. That seems true for the most part, but that I have found that it does not always display—anything. I looked in response to the initial email sent from Exceed on Saturday, July 27th that I was nearing my data allowance. The graph showed zero (see attached chart.pdf) even after waiting for the page to fully load and then refreshing the browser. This also happened about four months ago. I took a screen capture then of the usage page and email it to a logical email address I found on your web site, but never received a courtesy reply.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

Two possibilities come to mind:

1. Someone left a video stream running all night.
2. Your WiFi is not password protected and some neighbor is using your connection.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov to Jeff N

to Jeff N

What router are you using? And, what other devices are turned on?
ExSatUser
join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH

1 edit

ExSatUser to Jeff N

to Jeff N
I love the "somebody is stealing your internet" excuse. One would think Exede must be one of the most stolen ISP's in the country, based on this excuse often given by Viasat! Chances are there probably isn't even somebody close enough to you to see your wifi...living in remote country.

As far as the graph showing zero a few days ago. That was true for a number of users. There was some problem with the Exede meter where it "sort of" went offline. Users saw "0" on the meter, but behind the scenes the meter was still tracking your usage. That is why you got the warning but physically was seeing 0 on the graph.

As far as where all your usage went? I am still not convinced that the modem looping issue has been corrected. If your modem lost connection and had connection issues, there is a possibility it got stuck in a "loop", eating all your data away.

Something you could try going forward...as I have read about it on the Viasat forum. When you are not at home or the modem is not in use, turn it off. See if that makes a difference.

Good luck!

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

said by ExSatUser:

I love the "somebody is stealing your internet" excuse. One would think Exede must be one of the most stolen ISP's in the country, based on this excuse often given by Viasat! Chances are there probably isn't even somebody close enough to you to see your wifi...living in remote country.

Still can't dismiss it, it's quite possible using a directional reflector to steal wifi from a mile away.
said by ExSatUser:

As far as where all your usage went? I am still not convinced that the modem looping issue has been corrected. If your modem lost connection and had connection issues, there is a possibility it got stuck in a "loop", eating all your data away.

Something you could try going forward...as I have read about it on the Viasat forum. When you are not at home or the modem is not in use, turn it off. See if that makes a difference.

Or switch to HughesNet, I have not had any problems like this.

I could never turn the modem off as a solution for this, when I need to look something up I need access right away and satellite modems take at least 5 minutes to boot up and be ready, not to mention I need occasional remote access to my home computers.

If it's not the OP's own equipment causing it then Exede needs to credit him and if they won't he needs to cancel and get HughesNet because that is just plain wrong.
ExSatUser
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser to Jeff N

to Jeff N
Yea there probably is a ton of people out there stealing wifi service in the country with "directional reflrectors"...lol.

I agree...he should just get Hughesnet. If he thinks Exede is bad...he should love Hughesnet Gen4!
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to TheTechGuru

to TheTechGuru
"Still can't dismiss it"

One of Apple's products has a known issue of sucking up usage.
Exede Lizz
join:2013-03-06
Davenport, IA

Exede Lizz to Jeff N

to Jeff N
Jeff N,

I am not showing that we received an email from you to our Social Media team here at ViaSat. I am showing your post here on forum, and DSL Reports in regards to the issue. Please feel free to send myself, Exede Elizabeth, or Exede Zac an email to exedelistens@viasat.com so we can take a look at your account, and work on getting you resolution. In the email please include the contact telephone number listed on your account, or account number if you have it available. Thank you!
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to DrStrangLov

Premium Member

to DrStrangLov
Doc, I am curious which product you refer to that sucks up usage

google wasn't helpful for me
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

Been more than one complaint on Apple products sucking up bandwidth. OP needs to list all devices interacting.

November 7, 2011

iCloud: The hidden cost for the magic, and how to avoid it

Enabling iCloud on your iTunes and iOS devices would mean a grave increase of Internet bandwidth and might eat up your data plan really fast. Those who share the same Apple ID could face potential risk of privacy.

»www.cnet.com/8301-17918_ ··· void-it/

Thunderbird causes large Mac OS X Time Machine backups
Background: I have several email account accounts with years worth of emails saved in various Thunderbird folders (a Thunderbird folder looks like a single data file in OS X), so this translates to a lot of work for Time Machine.
»forums.mozillazine.org/v ··· t=635445
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty

Premium Member

I always warn my subs about cloud services - especially photos
Always use iTunes sync for limited/metered ISPs

I am aware of Thunderbird by default pulling down entire email history but have forgot to create awareness for my subs
I will include it in my usual 'training session' from now on

Thanks for the tip Doc, many may benefit from this info...

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium Member
join:2003-11-25
Appleton, WI

hdman to Jeff N

Premium Member

to Jeff N
Jeff, do you have DirecTV Genie and is it connected to your network? The reason I ask is because it REALLY gobbles up your bandwidth regardless if you watch On-Demand shows or not. I have been using WB then Exede for years, and only 2 months did I get capped. It took that long to figure out that my new Genie was sucking my bandwidth. The first few levels of support at Direct said no-way, it wasn't possible unless I was watching On-Demand, but finally a higher level support tech said that if I am not watching On-Demand, disconnect from the network. Once I did, my usage dropped back to normal.

I know this is true for DirecTV's Genie, and my guess is that the Dish Hopper would do the same. According to DirecTV, they still que shows, etc. to your DVR via the internet and not via the bird. Lesson learned here the hard way....
ExSatUser
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser to Jeff N

to Jeff N
Definitely in no way should you hook your Dish or DirecTv account into your Exede network. I have read too many horror stories about this sucking up bandwidth, and I guess some installers just do this as part of the installation.
JSheridan
join:2006-07-03
USA

JSheridan

The Dish Hopper uses NO measurable bandwidth unless you are streaming video or audio. I have a Hopper hooked up to Exede and it's the only thing I use the Exede for. The only bandwidth used is when I either stream video down or watch video on a remote device via sling.

The DirecTV Genie is a totally different story. It gobbles bandwidth just being plugged in.