how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

carlock12

join:2013-07-30

Internet connection dropping

Hey guys,

I live in the evansville/newburgh area and just had ultra tv installed last week. Ever since then, the internet connection has been dropping from both my wife and I's laptops. We own a macbook and a macbook pro. Seems like it happens once every hour or two and the connection drops for around 1-2 minutes before working again. When this happens the browser is at a stand still and tries to load to no avail.

Thanks for taking the time to read as this is obviously very annoying for two people who require the internet for their careers.

ClockerXP

join:2001-05-24
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:1
Do a screen shot or copy/paste your signal levels here so we see what you are getting at the house.

The address you can see your signal levels at is »192.168.100.1/

carlock12

Click for full size
Click for full size
Thanks for the ultra quick response. Hopefully I can post this right..

ClockerXP

Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Comcast
reply to carlock12
There is nothing that jumps out as being a problem with your signal levels. Normally the downstream wants to be somewhere between +10 to -10. +7 to -7 is what most people like to see. Upstream levels getting above 50 can be problematic sometimes.

I suggest you look at those levels several times per day and write them down to see if they fluctuate much. When I was with Comcast, some of the channels varied wildly throughout the day (ie they changed by as much as about 7dBmV during the day).

carlock12

Will do. Thank you very much. Seems like a lot of people have been having this issue with the Ultra TV service.

carlock12

reply to ClockerXP
Do you think setting up a router may help with this issue? Not to mention the wireless capabilities of the gateway is a joke. I have a netgear but am pretty oblivious to the complexities of static, dhcp, dns, etc.

ClockerXP

Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Comcast
I have Ultra. Have never used the wireless portion of it. I disabled the wireless radio in the config page and am using a wireless access point of my choosing to serve my wireless needs. I hear the range on the wireless signal from the UltraTV gateway is pretty bad.

Many routers have the option to set it up as a wireless access point instead of a router. I suggest you do that and connect the WAN port on the router to one of the Ethernet connections on the back of the gateway so you can use your routers wireless signal. Maybe that will work better for you.

carlock12

Click for full size
Grrr. Still happening. I took a screenshot while it was going on.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:40
said by carlock12:

Grrr. Still happening. I took a screenshot while it was going on.

I made a change to your gateway. I want to see if that helps with this issue. Please continue using your connection normally over the next few days and see if you still experience this issue as often as you have been.

carlock12

Thanks Dan, much appreciated! I'll let you know if anything changes.

adam1991

join:2012-06-16
Columbus, OH
reply to WOW_Dan
Dan,

It looks like you did something simple--no doubt something that anyone in network operations would understand and could do themselves.

Question: what do we say to first line customer service to get something like this addressed? What key words or magic beans or whatever get them to understand the issue AND the path to resolving it?

We hate to keep bugging you, Dan--and more importantly, we hate to depend on you because (a) it's not your job, and (b) we'd be lost if you hit the lottery and moved on.

carlock12

reply to WOW_Dan
Hey Dan,

Seemed like it worked for a day but it has definitely been happening the past two days. Still getting random drop outs on our laptops. Thanks for all you do on here. A technician is scheduled to come out here on Tuesday but I don't wanna get my hopes up..

carlock12

reply to adam1991
I agree Adam. Dan, your service most certainly doesn't go unnoticed, and we are very fortunate to have you on these forums.

Yeah I spent 25 minutes on the phone where the customer service rep simply refreshed the gateway - after I told her I tried that about a week and a half ago haha

Jonathan2

join:2011-12-21
reply to carlock12
For the longest time we were using a wireless router that could only use the 2.4GHz band. As soon as we got a new one that could do 5 & 2.4 simultaneously, I have noticed that my laptop will work perfectly on the 5GHz band, but as soon as it chooses the 2.4 band, it will very often lose its connection to the internet. It will say I am connected to the router just fine, but I have to turn off WiFi then turn it back on every time just to get it to load a webpage again.

After blaming everything possible for my poor internet the last couple years (WOW's hardware, my hardware, the websites, etc. etc.), I've started to conclude that the 2.4GHz WiFi band is just a piece of crap. I honestly regret waiting so long to upgrade to a simultaneous dual-band router.

carlock12

Thanks for responding. I just have the arris gateway so I have been using that built in router. How would I go about changing to 5 GHz? Sorry, I'm kind of a network amateur.

adam1991

join:2012-06-16
Columbus, OH
reply to Jonathan2
said by Jonathan2:

For the longest time we were using a wireless router that could only use the 2.4GHz band. As soon as we got a new one that could do 5 & 2.4 simultaneously, I have noticed that my laptop will work perfectly on the 5GHz band, but as soon as it chooses the 2.4 band, it will very often lose its connection to the internet. It will say I am connected to the router just fine, but I have to turn off WiFi then turn it back on every time just to get it to load a webpage again.

After blaming everything possible for my poor internet the last couple years (WOW's hardware, my hardware, the websites, etc. etc.), I've started to conclude that the 2.4GHz WiFi band is just a piece of crap. I honestly regret waiting so long to upgrade to a simultaneous dual-band router.

And, cue WOW to tell you "there's a reason we ask you to try it out hardwired directly to the cable modem before calling us"

Jonathan2

join:2011-12-21

1 edit
reply to carlock12
said by carlock12:

Thanks for responding. I just have the arris gateway so I have been using that built in router. How would I go about changing to 5 GHz? Sorry, I'm kind of a network amateur.

Since the radio on the gateway can only do 5GHz OR 2.4GHz, changing over to 5 might not be viable. It all depends on what devices you are going to want to use on the network.

Anything that must use 802.11b/g will only work with 2.4, and quite a few 802.11n devices also only work with 2.4.

Your laptops should be good to go with 5GHz, but things on our network that cannot use 5GHz include a Wii (although that is not important anymore) and iPhone 4S's. The iPhone 5 added 5GHz support.
Also, smaller, less network-intensive devices like printers and other miscellaneous media devices often only have b/g support or if they do support n it's only on the 2.4GHz band.

If you think you will be ok going all 5, then enter your gateway settings by navigating to 192.168.0.1 in your browser, log in, then select the Wireless Setup tab across the top. The band select is in the Advanced tab to the left.

A final consideration is the fact that the 5GHz band has a harder time penetrating walls and such than the 2.4. The problem with 2.4 is the fact that EVERYONE is running on it, so the interference is insane. I always have 10 or more 2.4 wireless networks in range of the device I'm using.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:40
reply to adam1991
said by adam1991:

Dan,

It looks like you did something simple--no doubt something that anyone in network operations would understand and could do themselves.

Question: what do we say to first line customer service to get something like this addressed? What key words or magic beans or whatever get them to understand the issue AND the path to resolving it?

We hate to keep bugging you, Dan--and more importantly, we hate to depend on you because (a) it's not your job, and (b) we'd be lost if you hit the lottery and moved on.

When talking with customer service, there is a tier 3 support department to escalate to, should you need high level assistance. If you ask for a tier 3 representative, you may have some wait time to get through to one, but they have additional resources and might be able to help on more technical issues.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer