spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tyrindor

join:2013-07-30

Alternative to Mediacom in the Waterloo, IA area?

I'm browsing my options. I was sent my second DMCA takedown notice for a show i've never even heard of. The first DMCA takedown notice was caused by a person who previously lived here before I even opened my account at this address. When I called to complain, the rep told me DMCA take downs are account based, and her's should not have transferred to my account. However it did, and they wouldn't remove it.

I spent over an hour on the phone with them trying to figure out why I have 2 strikes, when the first one wasn't even my account and the second one is a show i've never heard of. I am the only person that connects to the internet in my house, and my wireless is fully passworded and encrypted. Well after I got off the phone, a few hours later my virus definitions updated, and I got a virus popup. It was a trojan that was used to take control of someones internet according to NOD32. I checked my monthly bandwidth, and sure enough it was much higher than normal. Turns out someone was using my internet as proxy somehow. Mediacom simply doesn't care though.

I now have 1 more strike before they claim they will shut my internet off permanently and ban me for life. I don't even want to do business with them if they are going to threaten me with this nonsense and not allow me to appeal these DMCA takedowns.

Are there any good alternatives? I'm currently on their 50Mbps package, but I think the next best in the areas is about 12Mbps..

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:103

Hello Tyrindor, I would be happy to look into this for you. DMCA violations are found by the company that owns the original copyrighted material. Either they do this by finding it themselves or hiring another company to do so. This information is then sent to the FCC and they contact the internet service provider the person is using. Mediacom has to conform to this policy set in forth by the FCC. You can appeal these though, you should have received a letter in the mail that should contain a section that explains the appeal process. It seems you have also contacted other members of the social media team on the Mediacom forums. They have reached out to you and will have a representative contact you to explain more.
--
MediacomChad
»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/

tyrindor

1 edit

The problem with the appeal method is that I open myself up to being sued/fined. I basically have to tell them I didn't do it, give them my personal information, and let them come after me so I can fight it in court... if i'm understanding the letter correctly.

I do not have the time or resources to fight something like that, they do, and i'd assume they are professionals at it. They have proof my IP downloaded something. All I have is my word that I didn't do it, and that it was probably the virus that I found that caused it. I have heard of nightmare cases where 80 year old women are fined $250,000 or face prison time when fighting these cases. It doesn't seem like there is any safe method to appeal these. Even when I am innocent, it is not worth the risk to open myself up to this when I could just hope something like this doesn't happen again or switch ISPs when it does.

Most ISPs have adopted a 6 strike rule to help prevent cases like this from ever affecting legit users without the need to appeal. Mediacom seems to be one of the few ISPs that has only a 3 strike rule.

By the way, is it 3 strikes or 4 strikes? I've gotten mixed messages from reps. I would be much less worried knowing that i'd need to get 2 more DMCAs before termination. Chances of me getting 2 more viruses seems rare.

tyrindor

Just got the call, looks like the late night rep was misinformed and I should not be terminated if it ever happens again. Thanks for the help Chad.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

You are welcome. Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

implode

join:2009-09-06
Columbia, MO

I'm quite confused...never received a DMA notice (thank goodness). But always worry about two things happening...

1) My secured network will be somehow broken into, because either my router password or network may become compromised.

or

2) A virus will compromise my machine (occasionally even with a good Anti Virus, one will get through for average user).

Then its only a matter of someone else breaking the law. Despite all this I use complex passwords, firewall, antivirus, and avoid shady corners of the internet. Is this enough to protect my from such an issue, or are their other steps I should be taking. Seems I've seen some other users being given a hard time, and its tough for them to defend themselves once an allegation is made.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

From what you've listed it seems you should be very well protected from some sort of outside influence causing you to receive a DMCA violation. So as long as you don't do anything that would cause this you should be fine.

johninIA

join:2011-02-26
Coralville, IA
reply to tyrindor

implode,

I use a free app called wifiguard, this basically list all machines using your network and scans every so often, if a new machine pops up on your network you know right away you have a iisue and need to change the password on your wireless device - remember cell phone, tablets, tivo's, ect will show up on this list too, everything...

»www.softperfect.com/products/wifiguard/

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
reply to MediacomChad

still doesnt stop that there is no way to deal with false DMCA takedown reqests
THEY ARE NOT VIOLATIONS they are REQUESTS
they are not based in a court of law and Mediacom needs to end this stupid idea that they are proof of guilt
if i wanted Chad i could have 3 or 4 DMCA takedown requests sent to some one i didnt like just to get them kicked off Mediacom
what would you do then?
there is nothing stopping me from making false takedowns mean wile you cut off there service

THE ONLY thing Mediacom is required to do by law is forward the takedown notice to the customer NO MORE NO LESS

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

Elios,

Mediacom is informed by the FCC of these violations and according to national copyright laws we have to notate the account and keep track of them. This is our only part in the actual process.

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

1 edit

and you do you not cut people off after 3?
like i said any one can make DMCA request real or not
and you would cut off any one that got 3 of them

and YOU have no idea how DMCA notices work as the FCC plays ZERO part in it
there is NO 'national copyright law' that says you have do any thing but forward the notice to the user
your banning of users for them is uncalled for and unfair
and your way of fighting bad notices only opens your users up to law suits that are unwinable

you really should look in how DMCA Takedown notices work
as ANY ONE can send one to mediacom saying user at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx has infringed on x copyright
all you need is the ip

can you not see how this can be abused

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

elios - I am not part of the group that handles DMCA violations, nor do I manage the way the company handles that. I will gladly forward your complaint about our methods over to them so your voice can be heard. I openly admit I don't deal with the DMCA violations a lot which is why I generally have them handled by the direct department that takes care of these. If you have any other concerns about our DMCA policy, I can gladly forward them over.
--
MediacomChad
»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

here this is why mediacom needs to think about how they handle DCMA notices.

Abuse of Takedown notice

Google asserted misuse of the DMCA in a filing concerning New Zealand's copyright act,[25] quoting results from a 2005 study by Californian academics Laura Quilter and Jennifer Urban based on data from the Chilling Effects clearinghouse.[26] Takedown notices targeting a competing business made up over half (57%) of the notices Google has received, the company said, and more than one-third (37%), "were not valid copyright claims."

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:1
reply to tyrindor

Mediacom DMCA policy is bullshit! I just wish this would get more publicity and maybe force Mediacom to change the rules. Whatever Chad tells you about this policy is crap. They are required to forward the notice to you but that's it. Nothing else!

3 strikes ban is all Mediacom and appeals are almost impossible! Do you have a wife or a roommate? If you get banned just have the other person sign up...
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to MediacomChad

said by MediacomChad:

Elios,

Mediacom is informed by the FCC of these violations and according to national copyright laws we have to notate the account and keep track of them. This is our only part in the actual process.

I don't think that the FCC is involved. Agents of the copyright holders determine IP addresses of putative (Look it up!) violators. Their are any number of IP lookup tools available to determine which company owns an IP address. Agent sends DMCA takedown request direct to the owner of the IP address. Owner then forwards letter to customer. Certainly the examples I have seen from customers of the local cable service are from the copyright agents, and ISP; no mention of the FCC.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

You are right. I thought I removed that, it is not the FCC. I was mistaken.