spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SpottedCat

join:2004-06-27
Miami, FL

[Business] On business 16/2 plan -- Will speeds ever be upgraded

I've been on the 16/2 business plan since 2010. I keep hearing of new tiers being offered, consumer accounts getting free speed upgrades, and so on.

Will my 16/2 ever be upgraded? Or am I pretty much permanently locked into this speed unless I negotiate a new contract? I'm not really desperate for more speed; my current connection suits me well for what I do, but getting the same upgrades that consumer tiers get would be nice.

The Grif

join:2001-01-13
Geneva, IL

Re: [Business] On business 16/2 plan -- Will speeds ever be upgr

I feel your "pain"...

I have been with Comcast Business Class since 2010 as well. I see all the residential folks receiving their free speed upgrades...what about us loyal Business Class customers? If I did not need my static IP's I would switch back to residential.

I guess I just don't understand the logic. You would think Comcast would want to retain their generally higher revenue business class customers by at least offering what the residential folks are getting...all this is doing is making them mad.
--
"This place makes Cambodia look like Kansas..."

Speed_Tier

@comcast.net
reply to SpottedCat
said by SpottedCat:

I've been on the 16/2 business plan since 2010. I keep hearing of new tiers being offered, consumer accounts getting free speed upgrades, and so on.

Will my 16/2 ever be upgraded? Or am I pretty much permanently locked into this speed unless I negotiate a new contract? I'm not really desperate for more speed; my current connection suits me well for what I do, but getting the same upgrades that consumer tiers get would be nice.

Both business class and residential speed tiers are very much controlled by the local franchise. The fact that you have had been on a business class 16/2 speed tier since 2010 is proof of that. The national starter speed tier in 2010 was 12/2 (although some local franchises marketed it differently...6/1, 6/2, and 8/2 were I believe also quite common for the business class starter tier in some areas).

I signed up for the 12/2 tier in 2011, and that was upgraded last year to 16/3 (although my tests indicate that it is actually 17/3 sustained) with no need to negotiate or sign a new contract.

Is it possible that your modem has been connected solidly for over a year with no disconnects or reboots? My recollection was that I had to do a modem reboot to get last year's new speed activated.

FWIW, the current national Comcast Business Class service is officially 16/3 as shown in the screen shot below (taken from http://business.comcast.com/smb/services/internet/plans):

For comparison, here is a screen shot that I saved of the official plans and pricing from last year before the speed and price increase (and the loss of multiple email accounts for the higher tiers):

The Grif

join:2001-01-13
Geneva, IL
reply to SpottedCat
I am not referring to the speed bump from 12/2 to 16/3 from a while back...I am talking about the "we just doubled our speeds" promotion as seen on TV.

In my market, the Chicago area, a residential customer who was originally on 12/2 and then bumped to 16/3 is now getting 25/5.

So, my question again is...why was this latest speed increase offered to residential folks but not offered to the business class customer?
--
"This place makes Cambodia look like Kansas..."