uniqs
share rss forum feed

moochy989

join:2005-02-02
Romeoville, IL

1 edit

[TiVo] Preview vs. TiVo & RCN Netflix App - Romeoville, IL

Hi everyone,

I'm a brand new RCN customer as I just moved into the city of Chicago this month. I've done plenty of research over the past decade or so on digital cable, broadband, etc. and am excited to finally be part of this great network. Prices, throughput, and content have all been great so far!

I have many questions in regards to TiVO, as I just ordered the Whole Home package.

To my understanding, the Preview has its own tuner but can utilize network connectivity to stream content from my Q. (MoCa, Ethernet, blah blah, we all know this and it's posted a million times in this forum, right? ) I now see TiVo offers a "Mini" which seems more practical for this type of environment as the Mini can, for example, pause live TV (without having to use the somewhat strange "record then pause" workaround currently with the Preview).

1. I don't see the need for the Preview having its own tuner if, essentially, the technology exists where it can grab one of the Q's existing four tuners. Other than not interfering with the Q's 4 tuners and diminishing recording capabilities, what does the Preview offer over the Mini as an advantage?

Sub-question: How does the switch over work in terms of choosing record, then pause/rewind on the Preview? When you hit record on the remote, does it instantly command the Q to record the channel using a command over MoCa/Ethernet, then switch from Tuner mode to Stream mode (instantaneously / without end user noticing) and start streaming from the Q? Or does the Tuner never lose cable and just streams the show over MoCA/Ethernet from the Q regardless? - go ahead and ignore this if I've just confused you, haha.

2. Is there a possibility for an update of the Preview's software to allow true streaming from the Q (to allow real-time pause, rewind, etc.) For example, the user has the option to use the built-in tuner, or, use MoCa/Ethernet to steal a Q's tuner and provide a more true TiVo experience? Almost like mocking the Mini's functionality?

3. If above (#2) is a no-go, will RCN be replacing Preview devices with Minis, or offering the Mini as an equipment option?

4. On retail TiVo Premier boxes, Netflix is an app available as you may know. I've read the post RCNMAN has eluded to regarding the RCN - Netflix contract agreement for this to be available, and there has been no luck thus far. While the effort is appreciated, can someone please help me understand why RCN is a Netflix Open Connect Partner, essentially housing some buffer data for Netflix, yet there are still contract issues regarding the TiVo app? I feel like that's saying "Yeah, here, we've got this great super HD experience other broadband providers can't give you because we house some of their data. But, you still can't access the app anyway because we actually don't have an agreement with them."

Thanks in advance for even reading this huge thought ramble! Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Pacomartin

join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

Re: [TiVo] TiVo Preview vs. TiVo Mini & RCN TiVo Netflix App

said by moochy989:

1. I don't see the need for the Preview having its own tuner if, essentially, the technology exists where it can grab one of the Q's existing four tuners. Other than not interfering with the Q's 4 tuners and diminishing recording capabilities, what does the Preview offer over the Mini as an advantage?

Right now with four tuners, it is impractical to offer more than two minis. If you have more than two satellite televisions, then you must get a previews after the first two. I see Arris is offering a unit with 6 tuners, so there may be an upgrade to Tivo soon.

I know you can watch RCN's Video on Demand (VOD) from a Preview.I don't believe you can operate VOD from a mini. I have asked this question a number of times, and no one has answered me, so I am not sure.
Expand your moderator at work

sbiller1

join:2011-05-25
Tampa, FL
reply to Pacomartin

Re: [TiVo] TiVo Preview vs. TiVo Mini & RCN TiVo Netflix App

said by Pacomartin:

said by moochy989:

Right now with four tuners, it is impractical to offer more than two minis. If you have more than two satellite televisions, then you must get a previews after the first two. I see Arris is offering a unit with 6 tuners, so there may be an upgrade to Tivo soon.

I know you can watch RCN's Video on Demand (VOD) from a Preview.I don't believe you can operate VOD from a mini. I have asked this question a number of times, and no one has answered me, so I am not sure.

Jason confirmed on twitter that the Mini currently supports one VOD session per host (Premiere-Q) DVR. TiVo working on an update to support multiple VOD sessions to be released in the Q1-14 timeframe. VOD is currently streamed from the host versus IP directly to the Mini.

Pacomartin

join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

said by sbiller1:

Jason confirmed on twitter that the Mini currently supports one VOD session per host (Premiere-Q) DVR.

Right now, the only advantage I can see of Mini over a Preview is the ability to pause the TV, and a slightly smaller footprint. It has no cost advantage for rentals. It seems like the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.