spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dmcnonanon

@sunflower.com

there is a lot wrong here, but you seem to be agreeing ??

I'm too tired to respond to all the wrongness of this article. And amongst all the wrongness, upon first skim it seems like you agree with many of my core points and preferences for change. So I'll wait and comment more later today depending on how the story unfolds. But for a start, where do you get your facts exactly?? TimeWarner Broadband is so not my broadband provider. Honestly I'm so broke I don't have one other my *cough* android phone *cough*. If, AND ONLY IF, I see sanity prevail in this argument, will I likely be willing to once again pay the usual fee for fixed residential broadband, because then I would know I would have a SnowdenPRISMCrash chance in hockey sticks of getting my local broadband providers to give me the freedom of dataspeech on their networks I expect and demand (given FCC-10-201/NN). Later...

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Want to host a server? Do it in a data center, for $5 per month. You'll get a gigabit connection now, and it will be more reliable than using either the Knology connection you're posting from or the GFiber connection you for some reason despise.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
Where/which data center can I put my server for $5/month with gigabit speeds, or use one of their (real) servers?

I'd even take a VPS if it could do a gigabit..
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

iansltx

Austin, TX

1 recommendation

It's a VPS. DigitalOcean, I use them for work and we have multiple "droplets" in their SF data center.

dmcnonanon

@sunflower.com
reply to dmcnonanon
I'm still too tired to deal with this article in depth, and still hope I don't need to bother (this story seems to be running on its own well enough). But this link may clear some things up as far as my "subscriberness" history - »lwn.net/Articles/561698/ and as always, dawg@cloudsession.com works. peace...

Bengie25

join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Reviews:
·Solarus
reply to iansltx
said by iansltx:

Want to host a server? Do it in a data center, for $5 per month. You'll get a gigabit connection now, and it will be more reliable than using either the Knology connection you're posting from or the GFiber connection you for some reason despise.

Bandwidth is cheap from most datacenters, but memory and storage are not. I got a perfectly good computer laying around to run a Minecraft server and it will only cost me sub $5 in electrical costs per month, but getting the same memory, cpu, and storage would cost me hundreds per month from a datacenter.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Depends on the data center. And your "perfectly good computer" had a cost to buy in the first place.