Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
reply to dmcnonanon

Re: there is a lot wrong here, but you seem to be agreeing ??

Want to host a server? Do it in a data center, for $5 per month. You'll get a gigabit connection now, and it will be more reliable than using either the Knology connection you're posting from or the GFiber connection you for some reason despise.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw

Where/which data center can I put my server for $5/month with gigabit speeds, or use one of their (real) servers?

I'd even take a VPS if it could do a gigabit..
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

iansltx

Austin, TX

1 recommendation

It's a VPS. DigitalOcean, I use them for work and we have multiple "droplets" in their SF data center.

Bengie25

join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Reviews:
·Solarus
reply to iansltx

said by iansltx:

Want to host a server? Do it in a data center, for $5 per month. You'll get a gigabit connection now, and it will be more reliable than using either the Knology connection you're posting from or the GFiber connection you for some reason despise.

Bandwidth is cheap from most datacenters, but memory and storage are not. I got a perfectly good computer laying around to run a Minecraft server and it will only cost me sub $5 in electrical costs per month, but getting the same memory, cpu, and storage would cost me hundreds per month from a datacenter.

iansltx

Austin, TX

Depends on the data center. And your "perfectly good computer" had a cost to buy in the first place.