spc
Search similar:

uniqs

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich

[Tech Ops] Is there anyway to put live network status on webpage

Hi Guys
I am just wondering if anybody know how to put live network status on an webpage so the public can see it?
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

Re: [Tech Ops] Is there anyway to put live network status on web

said by treich:

anybody know how to put live network status on an webpage...

Many people know how to do it ... in many different ways.

»www.nagios.com/
»www.manageengine.com/
»www.solarwinds.com/
»www.paessler.com/
»www.whatsupgold.com/

Open source:
»www.jffnms.org/
»www.opennms.org/
Ellery
join:2001-01-10
Rome, GA

Ellery

Network weatherman would be great for this. »www.network-weathermap.com/
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

but if the web page is on your network which is down?
or you cannot get to the cloud to update it cuz your net is down?

treich

treich

well LLigetfa whats the best way on doing this then?
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

said by treich:

well ... whats the best way on doing this then?

If you want remote access even when the network is down, you can use plain-old POTS, cellular or satellite modem to access a very robust embedded server which boots up other servers, routers and APs.

However, you can also design the monitoring system in such a way that you can deduce what went wrong just before it went down.

treich

treich

Whats the benefits of doing an remote access when the network is down may I ask? Also what are you talking about an embedded server boots up other servers, routers, ap?

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

»www.digital-loggers.com/ ··· ing.html

battleop
join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

battleop to treich

to treich
I would not do it because it seems to attract users with obsessive compulsive disorder. Some how they think that it turns them into a NOC tech and they think it's their duty to alert you every time something turns yellow.

I've tried doing this a few times over the years and for the most part people don't use it. The few that do tend to be obsessed with it and will drive you nuts.

Rhaas
Premium Member
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO

Rhaas

Premium Member

I agree 100% with Battleop.

treich

treich

all I want to able to do is show if tower is down or up noting else.
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 recommendation

54067323 (banned) to John Galt6

to John Galt6
Gotta love those remote POE injectors, oh baby thats a 24...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· yQy7TG_Y

54067323 (banned) to battleop

to battleop
said by battleop:

I would not do it because it seems to attract users with obsessive compulsive disorder. Some how they think that it turns them into a NOC tech and they think it's their duty to alert you every time something turns yellow.

A lot of utilities use such a scheme to display outages and take reports of outages, but to successfully implement one requires a real drop dead customer front end.

In other words no way to get a human involved, an outage can be seen or reported and a status can be posted, but no interaction beyond that.

As such I don’t see it working well with a WISP, where the operator is not a PSC in the pocket monopoly who can tell the subscriber take or stick it.

54067323 (banned) to lutful

to lutful
said by lutful:

If you want remote access even when the network is down, you can use plain-old POTS, cellular or satellite modem to access a very robust embedded server which boots up other servers, routers and APs.

The access to the outage system is for the WISP subscribers, as such the OP doesn't need any of the above.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to treich

Mod

to treich
said by treich:

Whats the benefits of doing an remote access when the network is down may I ask?

Depends on why the network is down. It's hard to do any testing if you can't access your equipment.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

2 edits

lutful to treich

Premium Member

to treich
said by treich:

Whats the benefits of doing an remote access when the network is down may I ask?

You can configure settings or upload new firmware on critical equipment that has become inaccessible over the internet.
said by treich:

Also what are you talking about an embedded server boots up other servers, routers, ap?

It is usually a very reliable fanless/diskless Linux computer which connects to the phone/cellular/satellite modem.

*** looked up some relevant threads for you

»Remote reboot
»remote reboot devices

»Keeping an eye on things while on the road!
»[Tech Ops] VPN Options for Secure Access to Network Components
»network up time
»how do you supervise your net connection

»[Equipment] Rmote management of CPE
»Question : Remote CPE managment
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 edit

1 recommendation

54067323 (banned) to treich

to treich
said by treich:

Because if in-band management is lost, you can failover to out-of-band management or converesly drive to the site and stroke the problem there.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to lutful

MVM

to lutful
You missed one of the most popular graphing packages around:

MRTG

Theres also one called Cacti, but Ive never played with it.

But it depends entirely on what exactly hes trying to provide the status for. Outages? Bandwidth utilisation? Should it be automatic?

Need more detail.

battleop

battleop to treich

to treich
And a way for your competitor(s) to keep records of you outages as well.
battleop

battleop to TomS_

to TomS_
The Cactiez ISO is a nice and super easy way to play with Cacti.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

lutful to TomS_

Premium Member

to TomS_
said by TomS_:

You missed one of the most popular graphing packages around:

MRTG

Theres also one called Cacti

The tools I listed are a bit more comprehensive for network management. Of course there are many more. Here are the links for Cacti and MRTG.

»www.cacti.net/what_is_cacti.php
Cacti is a complete frontend to RRDTool, it stores all of the necessary information to create graphs and populate them with data in a MySQL database. The frontend is completely PHP driven. Along with being able to maintain Graphs, Data Sources, and Round Robin Archives in a database, cacti handles the data gathering. There is also SNMP support for those used to creating traffic graphs with MRTG.

»oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/
You have a router, you want to know what it does all day long? Then MRTG is for you. It will monitor SNMP network devices and draw pretty pictures showing how much traffic has passed through each interface.

Both use RRDtool in the background: »oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/
RRDtool is the OpenSource industry standard, high performance data logging and graphing system for time series data

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

Ah yes, and RRDtool.

Ive use it a few times to graph my own custom data points, like number of subs on an AP, and also per-sub statistics like data tx/rx rates and signal stats.

Anyone who doesnt know scripting should really give it a go. Its amazing what you can create to help make your life easier!
LLigetfa
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa to battleop

to battleop
said by battleop:

And a way for your competitor(s) to keep records of you outages as well.

Agreed. One should not air their dirty laundry in public.

battleop

battleop

EPB is well known for doing this. I know that they were going around telling the customers of one of the smaller ISPs in town that they were were going out of business because they had discontinued one of their product lines.

Never give your competition's sales people any ammo.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

TomS_ to LLigetfa

MVM

to LLigetfa
Disagree.

The ISP I used to work for lists all of their planned and unplanned outages on their site in full public view. If I was running an ISP I would be doing the same.

Most people actually appreciate openness from their providers.
gunther_01
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01

Premium Member

said by TomS_:

Disagree.

The ISP I used to work for lists all of their planned and unplanned outages on their site in full public view. If I was running an ISP I would be doing the same.

Most people actually appreciate openness from their providers.

Yes they do appreciate it. If it's a huge deal for any one to let their competitors see outages, just set your web host to allow only your IP addresses and maybe a few management ones. Pretty simple fix
LLigetfa
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

said by gunther_01:

If it's a huge deal for any one to let their competitors see outages, just set your web host to allow only your IP addresses and maybe a few management ones. Pretty simple fix

If only visible from inside your network, then when the network is down, they would not be able to access. I would assume your subs would be using an alternate (cellphone) provider to check.

I agree with notifying for planned outages and unplanned only if they are for extended times.
gunther_01
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01

Premium Member

Very True. Or sometimes we have neighbors help neighbors and such. One could also password protect the directory with a very simple/basic username and password for their customers use.