spc
Search similar:

uniqs
betam4x
join:2002-10-12
Nashville, TN

betam4x

3 options

There isn't anything wrong with what google is doing. Removing these restrictions would cause more harm than good.

1) ISPs can differentiate commercial and residential connections, placing fair restrictions on each (this is what most ISPs including Google do).
2) ISPs can jack up everyone's pricing to commercial rates ($150+ per month depending on the ISP) instead of the $20-$40 that most of us pay now.
3) ISPs can cap residential users to 20 gigs or so.

Which would you prefer?

AnonMan
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

AnonMan

Anon

Don't sell a 1Gbps service and say you are selling to to help innovate and spawn things but yet technically anything you do can be considered hosting a server and thus violate.

I got nothing against business vs. res service except for the price difference is a joke. NOW that said, I agree business class should exist still and be a little more but in return offer much better SLA, CS etc.

The internet gets cheaper every day to deliver and faster. Make it so res customers are limited to 1 static IP and business as many as they want, say you can't resell service and say on res you will get no SLA and CS during normal business hours.

Business can have SLA and 24/7 support with less hassle for help and charge maybe 1.5x more. This 3-4x+ more business get rapped is a joke.

You can't say res person using 1Gbps non stop is any worse vs. a business. You are either selling unlimited bandwidth or you're not. The only rule should be don't use it for commercial to make money off or expect any extra when needing help. That's what business should pay for but these companies use it as a way to rape based on usage though when these days business use less bandwidth vs. the home users. 5 years ago it was the other way around.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

They never claimed UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH" only a fast, symmetrical connection.
Google will be more than happy to provide you with cloud space and cloud computing and advertising and a business connection, each at additional cost.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to betam4x

Premium Member

to betam4x
Who the hell pays $20-40 for HSI? That's got to be a promo price.
betam4x
join:2002-10-12
Nashville, TN

betam4x

Back when i had fios triple play i paid $109/mo for phone, tv with all movie channels, and 35/35 internet. The internet cost was effectively $20. Now that i live in the middle of nowhere i pay $60 for internet, but could pay as little as $38 if i wanted slower speeds ($23 if i had cable tv).

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

But you WERE paying $109 altogether, which is what made FIOS a good investment to bring to your home (or would have if MOST neighbors also paid $109 plus for life)
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to tshirt

to tshirt
But Google does NOT provide business connections.

fg8578
join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

fg8578 to AnonMan

to AnonMan
said by AnonMan :

The internet gets cheaper every day to deliver and faster. Make it so res customers are limited to 1 static IP and business as many as they want, say you can't resell service and say on res you will get no SLA and CS during normal business hours.

Residential = can't resell and no SLA. I think that captures it nicely. If we all agree that residential customers cannot and will not resell service, does that mean customers can then attach a server, even allow others to "share" the customer's line, as long as the original customer isn't making money on the deal? That seems OK on the surface. But I suspect carriers will still object.