spc
Search similar:

uniqs

KeithM15
@69.90.75.x

KeithM15

Anon

Issues with new Teksavvy modem and new Asus Router

Hey there, I tried searching over the forums to find a solution to my problem, but I haven't come across one.

I recently had a new Teksavvy connection set up, and bought a thomson dcm476 for that connection. I also just bought an Asus RT-N66U Dark Knight, and went through the setup process (once the connection was activated) as I've always set up my routers.

I can connect to the router wirelessly (to change settings and setup a network), and I can even connect to the Thomson modem through the wireless network I've set up, but I can't connect to the internet.

Plugging my computer directly into the modem works, and speaking with Teksavvy it would seem that everything is fine on their end, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

For the sake of troubleshooting, I tried connecting a D-Link DIR-835 N750 (which had previously been working fine) and encountered the exact same problem. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast
Premium Member
join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON

RizzleQ

Premium Member

Is the connection type set to DHCP?
MikeyPC
join:2013-07-17
Ottawa, ON

MikeyPC to KeithM15

to KeithM15
Try unplugging the modem for 3 minutes to release the MAC lock and then hook everything back up. You can also try a factory reset on the modem by holding the reset button for 15 seconds.

oceros37
join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

oceros37 to KeithM15

to KeithM15
Yeah what Mikey said.. also try not to swap the ethernet cable from the modem to other devices - don't flip between router and PC(s). If you need to change it, unplug power to the modem first then change your cabling.

The modem can get locked to one device (mac address) - or maybe its the DHCP lease can be set for a specific mac address, and when you have the modem connected with a different mac address, the modem will just refuse to communicate or will not be able to get a new DHCP lease for another new mac address until your first DHCP lease is released (on the DHCP server side, not just released from your PC side).

Not really sure of a better explanation of mac locking with a cable modem. It is a process shrouded and mystery. Mostly I smack my head into the wall and it seems like after enough time passes, it just works. The most recent action is usually different so I have a feeling what we are really waiting for is the DHCP server to dump the lease to a particular mac address and allow a new lease to the next mac address we actually want to use.

KeithM15
@69.90.75.x

KeithM15 to MikeyPC

Anon

to MikeyPC
I've tried this, as well as doing a factory reset of the modem and the router (on separate attempts) with no luck
KeithM15

KeithM15 to RizzleQ

Anon

to RizzleQ
Yep, it is

oceros37
join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

oceros37

If your modem works plugged directly into a PC, use that PC and log into your router, and clone the mac address. Maybe reboot the router, make sure it shows the PC's mac address, and see if that gets it pulling a good IP.

Fraoch
join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
SmartRG SR808ac
TP-Link EAP225
Grandstream HT502

Fraoch to oceros37

to oceros37
said by oceros37:

The most recent action is usually different so I have a feeling what we are really waiting for is the DHCP server to dump the lease to a particular mac address and allow a new lease to the next mac address we actually want to use.

Apparently this process can take quite a long time - power down your modem and wait at least 10 minutes...could even be 30 minutes or an hour. Overnight wouldn't hurt.

Waimea
join:2010-06-30
Toronto, ON

Waimea to KeithM15

to KeithM15
I second the Mac cloning solution. it's the quickest way to get this fixed. after a few days have passed you can try to revert back to your routers default mac.

from what I've learned Rogers has a limit of two Macs and locks it up to about 72 hours.

cable4me
@teksavvy.com

cable4me to Fraoch

Anon

to Fraoch
Or you can simply release the IP address on the PC first before connecting to the router.

On windows cmd shell type in:
ipconfig /release

Powering things on/off is so level 1 tech support advice.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to KeithM15

to KeithM15
I bought an N66U two weeks ago and had some trouble getting it to work initially.

For some reason, the setup wizard was enabling the "VPN+DHCP" option by default in the WAN configuration and the router was obviously failing to establish a VPN connection since I have no such thing. Disabling that fixed my connectivity problem.
aereolis
join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON

aereolis to Waimea

to Waimea
said by Waimea:

I second the Mac cloning solution. it's the quickest way to get this fixed. after a few days have passed you can try to revert back to your routers default mac.

from what I've learned Rogers has a limit of two Macs and locks it up to about 72 hours.

It's quite a while. More like what Waimea said. Clone the ethernet mac address from the first computer you connected directly to the dcm476 to your router and presto! It'll connect in a few seconds.
mik29999
join:2008-07-21
Toronto, ON

mik29999 to KeithM15

to KeithM15
I have the same router and modem with Teksavvy. Initially I couldn't connect either, but I believe it was due to some network issues with Teksavvy and Rogers. Even when those issues were resolved, I still couldn't connect through the router. Ultimately I got it working by keeping the modem wired to the router, doing a factory reset on the modem, and unplugging the power from the modem and letting it sit for a few hours (a few minutes was insufficient), then plugging the power back in to the modem. I could suddenly get an ip on the router.

5 minutes after I got my first IP I flashed the router with the Tomato firmware and haven't had any similar problems since. I found the Asus auto-configuration irritating. Tomato seems more reliable in that regard.

KeithM15
@69.90.75.x

KeithM15

Anon

Last night we suddenly stopped getting service, even when plugged directly into the modem. We spoke with Teksavvy and eventually they decided it was something on their end, so they're sending a technician out on Saturday.

I'm definitely going to try what you said when we get service restored, and yeah I've already been advised to use Tomato so that's definitely going to happen.

wasHighwire
@teksavvy.com

wasHighwire

Anon

Instead of loading Tomato on your new Asus router, I suggest using Merlin's firmware.

Forum:
»forums.smallnetbuilder.c ··· der=desc

Downloads:
»www.mediafire.com/asuswr ··· -merlin/

KeithM15
@69.90.75.x

KeithM15 to mik29999

Anon

to mik29999
Thanks! This solved the problem! We had to do another reset of the router , but I guess for whatever reason this combination of leaving the router/modem connected and disconnecting the modem worked out. I'll be looking into Tomato now as well.

Thanks for your help everybody!
mik29999
join:2008-07-21
Toronto, ON

mik29999

Glad it worked for you too. If you flash with a non-Asus firmware, you may have to do the long power-off trick again to get an IP with Tomato the first time too. I had to do that again at least.

Fraoch
join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
SmartRG SR808ac
TP-Link EAP225
Grandstream HT502

Fraoch to cable4me

to cable4me
said by cable4me :

Or you can simply release the IP address on the PC first before connecting to the router.

On windows cmd shell type in:
ipconfig /release

Powering things on/off is so level 1 tech support advice.

That wouldn't help - the CMTS or possibly an upstream router is detecting the MAC address of the device connected behind it whether it's a router or a PC (or a different router). It will only allow one MAC and if this changes it will lock the modem. Releasing the IP address won't have any effect, you won't get an IP address at all if you're connected directly to the modem.

The modem has to be taken offline for a certain period of time (it's long, 10 minutes+) before it will release it and allow a device with a different MAC to connect.

Perhaps this isn't universal across the Rogers network, when I changed from my old WRT54GL router to the new RT-N66U I had no issues, and again when I changed from the N66 to the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter I didn't get locked out.

The DCM476 should be capable of accommodating multiple MACs connected through a switch, this is in the diagnostics page:

Configuration Parameters:
Computers Allowed by Service Provider: 2
Computers Detected by Modem: 2 

(weird, mine used to say 1 detected) but it can sometimes lock anyway.