kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to KPaul

Re: [Cable] Welp, my first TSI rant - looking for help

With all the new speeds being pushed out, is it possible you need a modem that allows 8 channel bonding versus only 4 that you can get with the 6121?
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

said by swintec:

With all the new speeds being pushed out, is it possible you need a modem that allows 8 channel bonding versus only 4 that you can get with the 6121?

•SB6120 - 4x4 channel bonding - 1.0.6.1 - approved - limited up to the 45/4 packages.
•SB6121 - 4x4 channel bonding - 1.0.6.1 - approved - limited up to the 45/4 packages.
•SB6141 - 8x4 channel bonding - 1.0.6.1 - not approved

Approved for use up to 45/4

Approved for use on 150/10
--

!- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -!
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = @TwiztedZero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by TwiztedZero:

•SB6120 - 4x4 channel bonding - 1.0.6.1 - approved - limited up to the 45/4 packages.
•SB6121 - 4x4 channel bonding - 1.0.6.1 - approved - limited up to the 45/4 packages.
•SB6141 - 8x4 channel bonding - 1.0.6.1 - not approved

With such high speeds it seems foolish to not have an 8 channel modem approved....although maybe if the speed issues have to do with this they will quickly certify the 6141?

It really is a no brainer since those three modems use the same exact firmware images which Moto did specifically to make deployment easier on the MSO.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

1 edit

Nods. You know this, I know this. Other end users know this.

But its tricksy... incumbents and tariffs stipulate the units (new modems) MUST go through an approval proccess. And for rCable for instance it costs around $8,000 something just to submit a unit for testing... I think three units or something has to be put in each time and run the testing gamut.
The end results isn't guaranteed either if they choose not to approve then thats $8K+ down the drain...

Each incumbent vendor has a different modem approval cost and rating as outlined in the tariffs each submitted to the CRTC. I think cCable was the more expensive one out of them all.

Anyways, more on that here: TPIA Modem Testing (CanadianBroadband) and various other threads via the main DSLr Search tool at the top of the boards.
--

!- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -!
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = @TwiztedZero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca