All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
BabyBackRibs4
join:2009-01-10
Gloucester, ON

BabyBackRibs4

Rogers Internet prices going up... is START's going up?

I see Rogers Cable has decided to hit their customers with another $3.00 a month increase starting August 24th. Is Start planning any kind of price increase to the base prices?

~Gary

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

Start, along with most of the other TPIA cable providers on Rogers, already adjusted their plans to meet the increased CBB costs they pay to Rogers set by the CRTC back in March. The increase on pricing to Rogers' own retail offerings are completely separate from TPIA tarrifs that set the rates an ISP like Start pays. So unless Rogers decides to petition the rates (they got an increase in March already), nothing Rogers does would affect TPIA rates.

And I don't believe Start for raise rates for the sake of more profits or price fixing, that's not who they are. Right from their slogan: "a better kind of internet", they want to give their customers a much better experience than what other ISPs may give to their own.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to BabyBackRibs4

Premium Member

to BabyBackRibs4
said by BabyBackRibs4:

I see Rogers Cable has decided to hit their customers with another $3.00 a month increase starting August 24th. Is Start planning any kind of price increase to the base prices?

~Gary

SHHHHHH !!!!!

Are you trying to START something ?!

Too late - Mister Rocca reads EVERYTHING.

tom_tom
join:2009-01-17
toronto

tom_tom to BabyBackRibs4

to BabyBackRibs4
So Rogers increases prices while Cogeco gives 10 Mbps upload for free? What's going on?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by tom_tom:

So Rogers increases prices while Cogeco gives 10 Mbps upload for free? What's going on?

they don't compete with each other. only Bell and when Bell offered unlimited for $10/30 so did Rogers.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to tom_tom

Premium Member

to tom_tom

GOUGEco charges sooooo much extra for their CBB rates in ripping off the Indie ISPs like START, and such a crazy rate of UBB to their OWN retail customers when they exceed their monthly usage caps, that they can well AFFORD to throw everyone a bone occasionally.

But they'll come up with SOME other price increase soon enough, never fear.

It's just a honeymoon period.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to tom_tom

Premium Member

to tom_tom
I wouldn't say Cogeco is giving it for 'free', they've raised their rates twice in the past year IIRC.
rocca

rocca to BabyBackRibs4

Premium Member

to BabyBackRibs4
said by BabyBackRibs4:

No, I think we're in good shape on that side of the network with where our prices are.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to rocca

to rocca
Rogers got in their second price hike for the year too, I don't know how people continue to stomach that year after year, I couldn't haha.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

I wouldn't say Cogeco is giving it for 'free'.

They've raised their rates twice in the past year IIRC....

....for their retail customers, and they already have the highest CBB rate in the industry, influencing OUR pricing from Indie ISPs such as START.

Maybe they figger that if they do something nice for everyone for a change (and BTW which costs them almost NOTHING EXTRA to provide, as upstream traffic is not even CLOSE to being congested in their bulk peering), that the negative things (like the price hikes) will fade in their subscribers' minds.

Rogers likely sees things similarly.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx

Rogers Internet Pricing effective August 24th

Ultimate $125.99 150/10mbps 250GB
Extreme Plus $77.99 45/4mbps 150GB
Extreme $67.99 35/3mbps 120GB
Express $54.99 25/2mbps 80GB
Lite $44.49
elitefx

elitefx to TypeS

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

Rogers got in their second price hike for the year too, I don't know how people continue to stomach that year after year, I couldn't haha.

Yea, it's pretty much criminal. $6 plus tax in Rogers rate hikes since Jan 2013. Don't know how they get away with it. Where's the CRTC in all this? Rogers is holding Canada hostage with their punishing broadband rates.