how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

shirishnayna

@qwest.net
reply to rocca

Re: Switching to Start questions.

Rocca - I am also going to be switching to Start and will be buying my own modem. How do I determine the firmware? Looking to buy the Cisco DPC3008 from Amazon. Thanks.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by shirishnayna :

Rocca - I am also going to be switching to Start and will be buying my own modem. How do I determine the firmware? Looking to buy the Cisco DPC3008 from Amazon. Thanks.

You can only determine the firmware that is on thew modem when you receive the modem and connect it to your computer and take a look at it.
--
Opinions expressed are my own, and may or may not reflect those of my employers or any other BCE company or division.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to shirishnayna
You should ask the seller in advance what the firmware is, ie don't just ask him if it's the right because you'll probably get a "yes" answer. Also please note that the DPC3008 is only compatible in certain areas, please review www.start.ca/services/highspeed/modems for the exact supported models and firmware releases.

Also keep in mind that by the time you pay duties/exchange it might not be quite the deal you're expecting. Ie Amazon.ca shows that price at $119, vs our DCM476 which is guaranteed to work and local exchange if there is a problem, for $100. Additionally the DCM476 is supported on both Rogers and Cogeco networks in case you move in the future. Food for thought..

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Hmm I want to pick up the Thomson DCM475 I take it I'd have no issues? Far as s frimeware Goes i can load the right one if need be.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
The firmware isn't customer-upgradable and requires some specialized gear to do. There are a couple people in the forum however that will do it for a nominal fee however. Having the firmware is very important though.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to shirishnayna
There haven't been any recent reports, but for the DPC3000 hardware version 2 Cogeco was upgrading firmware automatically. I think this is because Cogeco uses that model for their own customers. I believe the DPC3008 is also used by Cogeco's own customers, so there is a reasonable chance of automatic updates for that model too.

There is also the DCM476, which is not used by direct Cogeco customers, so I think firmware upgrades are unlikely.
--
electronicsguru.ca