Search similar:

uniqs

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

1 edit

Xstar_Lumini

LOL @ Roger's & Bell's Pathetic Radio Ad

I can't believe these faceless guys have the audacity to run such an advertisement in radio. It was this afternoon on AM 640 Toronto. It went something like this:

"Hello there, I'm John Smith and I live in Vancouver and work in the cellphone industry. Our jobs are now threatened because our government is allowing a huge American cellphone corporation to enter Canada with undeserved advantages. They are 4 times bigger than all Big 3 canadian carriers combined. They have been given unfair advantages such as getting to use existing networking infrastructure without them investing a penny on it. You as the taxpayer will be subsidizing them as you are the one that paid to place this infrastructure in place for the last 25 years, is it fair they come and just use it without putting up money of their own? Do you want canadian jobs to be taken? The only winners and the only profit here will be south of the border, most jobs will be south of the border. Don't let this happen."

(Apparently this is in response to Verizon from the U.S. coming into the canadian cellphone market)

Yeaaahhh riiight, nice try Rogers, if you really want us to stay with you why don't you just drop prices to world standards and stop gouging people? Since when have you scoundrels cared about canadian jobs when you have outsourced phone customer service to India? You should be ashamed of yourselves for this hypocrite radio ad of yours

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Same as the pathetic ad from the Canadian Wireless Association (or something to that effect) that says that Canadians cell prices are 60% lower than american, and that Canada is a world leader in wireless....

Made me freakin puke.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to Xstar_Lumini

to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

Since when have you scoundrels cared about canadian jobs when you have outsourced phone customer service to India? You should be ashamed of yourselves for this hypocrite radio ad of yours

Rogers does not and has not outsourced their customer service to India.

But I would agree this ad is quite over the top. Based on the fact that the Big 3 is throwing such a big hissy fit suggests that they probably know something we don't know and Verizon is more serious about their intentions to enter the Canadian market then they'd like to admit.

KamWest3
join:2013-03-26
Canada

KamWest3 to HiVolt

to HiVolt
The problem is that people here on the forum are enlightened about Rogers and Bell but a lot of regular people will buy that bull sob story.

The masses are mostly unaware of the games being played. So sad for us... :-(

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

1 edit

Xstar_Lumini to HiVolt

to HiVolt
I was in Central America on vacation last month. Took my unlocked Samsung Galaxy S3. I went to a plaza and there were selling cellphone chips from 7 different cellphone carriers for $5 and they came pre-loaded already with $10 dollars of talk time in them. Wow 7 different cellphone carriers in this small 3rd-world country?

Anyways, once I bought a chip I called my wife from there (she was in Toronto), the long distance call was $.07 cents a minute. How much does Rogers/Bell charge for making a direct long distance call to Central America? Anyways, to my shock my Samsung Galaxy S3 had full-blown cellphone tower internet access, it was G3 but the speeds were as fast as Roger's. Read my lips, the speeds were as blazingly fast as Rogers and yet Rogers touts a "4G" internet speed and counts itself as in the top 10 fastest in the world.

2 MB Pics loaded into Facebook as fast as Roger's purported super-fast cellphone speeds. I saw Youtube videos uninterrupted. My $10 in talk time & internet access lasted a week. I imagine talking to other local cellphones must had been 1 penny a minute. I bought the chip from a cellphone carrier called "Tigo" which years ago changed its name from "Telemovil". They sold texting packages which were 25 cents for 300 messages or 1,500 messages for 50 cents. I bought $1 (u.s.) in text messages so they gave me 3,000 text messages, more than enough to text my wife/friends the 3 weeks I was there. Incoming text messages are FREE even if they are international.

Locals told me there was an even cheaper cellphone carrier there named "Digicel" which sold 1,000 text messages for 25 cents (u.s.) and if you bought a $5 chip from them it came with $20 dollars in talk time/3G internet access.

Can a japanese tourist come to Toronto and buy a $5 phone chip and have $20 in talk time/internet preloaded on it? Can he call Japan and be charged only 7 cents a minute? Why not? If a third-world country can offer these cheap prices why can't the canadian Big Three offer similar pre-paid plans?

(Rogers lovers, please don't come here saying that Rogers invests in infrastructure, that third-world country had lots of cellphone towers and very good celltower internet speeds, so they must be investing into their ifrastructure too)

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

I absolutely don't want Verizon in Canada. They will be absolutely no different from the big 3 here already. But Robellus argument for keeping Verizon out is pathetic.

I just got back from a month in the UK. Got a SIM card for $1.50 (handling fee = it's free direct from Lycamobile) for Lycamobile from the local Grocery Store. They piggyback on several of the carriers depending on where you are (mostly Orange) and cover parts of Europe. 7.5c per minute to a landline, free to another Lycamobile subscriber, 15c to another mobile subscriber (one of the oddities of Europe where your cost is based on a gateway charge. 10c per minute to call Canada and the US.

There are others wil similar rates such as LeBara.

That said the major carriers in England such as Orange, T-Mobile etc. have much higher rates.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by sbrook:

I absolutely don't want Verizon in Canada. They will be absolutely no different from the big 3 here already. But Robellus argument for keeping Verizon out is pathetic.

My take on it is that I don't think people think Verizon will be necessarily and better than Robellus. However, an additional large competitor might help keep Robellus more honest. It may be a faint hope.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Given Verizon's (and other US carriers') behaviour in the US, I seriously doubt their own honesty. They would simply become another member of the club, and we'll be talking about Verobellus.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

But if Verizon comes here, are they gonna start in the big cities first like the existing new entrants, or are they gonna share towers with robellus?

I can't see them being relevant unless they're national, or at least cover a lot of rural areas.

Anyway, they will probably have good prices for the first couple years as to attract switchers. after that, it'll probably be the same shit like the rest of the cartel.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
I too do not want Verizon here in Canada. We will go from "The Big Three" to "The Big Three and the Really Big One". Verizon is bigger than all our telecos put together. They didn't get that big by offering dirt cheap prices that is for sure.

I understand that it will take a large investment to rollout a fourth National carrier but seeing Wind/Mobility get scooped by Verizon just doesn't seem to be in the best interest of Canadians. This seems to be in the best interest of Verizon expanding into a market that is worth the taking.

Hell there is nothing to stop them from buying up Wind and Mobility, and then once the time limit on selling the spectrum is selling them off to the highest bidder in closed room deals. Short term investment for them and they then flip the spectrum for a healthy profit.

I'm currently with Virgin aka Bhell and my wife is with Wind. I'd love to be paying what my wife has on Wind with the similar network coverage.
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

1 edit

the cerberus

I disagree.
Any new carrier is competition that will lower rates for consumers, but I really think Verizon is a good choice for a number of reasons.

1. roaming fees in the US. An American carrier could offer cheaper "North American" plans if they dont have to roam.

2. Verizon pushed FiOS and fibre optics when others(bell/rogers) wouldnt dare.
They have a history of pushing new technology that others simply dont.

3. the coverage and prices a bigger carrier could offer(think walmart) could be better/lower.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

+1

agree with all 3 points.
Epichappy
join:2012-05-14
Kitchener, ON

Epichappy to Xstar_Lumini

to Xstar_Lumini
When I was a kid all I wanted to do was watch the American g4/tech tv... But no, apparently we were not preserving Canadian culture. Honestly a country that needs to censor information is not preserving culture they are just assholes. Now we can't even have a decent wireless provider... you know one who doesn't force you into three year contracts? (although I think telus just started doing only 2 year)....YAY CANADA
mannyfresh
join:2005-07-29

mannyfresh to Xstar_Lumini

to Xstar_Lumini
Has anyone actually looked on Verizon's website? They are way more then rogers...

»www.verizonwireless.com/ ··· ing.html
Eldorados
join:2005-11-25

Eldorados

So what does it matter what they are charging down there?

I think they are smart enough to know that they need to come in here and price competitively to pull customers away from the big 3

It's foolish to think that all 4 companies will price high

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

There's too much evidence that the existing 3 price "competitively" meaning they have what appears to be a pricing cartel ... if one puts prices up, the others do too. If one puts on caps, the others do to. Even if they don't do it as a cartel, just like big oil the appearance is a cartel. After Verizon gets a good share of the customers, they are bound sure to join the same club because then they will want to maximize ARPU ... they can't get it by getting more customers ... there are only so many to go around.
mannyfresh
join:2005-07-29

mannyfresh to Xstar_Lumini

to Xstar_Lumini
Something to keep in mind... They might be here to secure roaming revenue from their customers (and maybe other US companies) in major cities. I.e. if they purchased Wind- they could charge, or include roaming in Canada at no cost.

When you look at the size of Canada compared to the market in the US (California has 4 Million people then Canada, US ~10x) why would they not just discount prices in the US where they have already made all the investment in infrastructure to get more customers?

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to KamWest3

Premium Member

to KamWest3
said by KamWest3:

The masses are mostly unaware of the games being played. So sad for us... :-(

Actually, this campaign is doing the opposite. I haven't seen anyone except the telco employees, lobbyists or those with ties to the carriers say anything in agreement to the campaign. This will backfire in a big way for the carriers after years of lies and price increases.
BACONATOR26

BACONATOR26 to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
Click for full size
After going over the Twitter responses again, I still don't see much support for this campaign.

dabonz7
join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON

dabonz7 to Xstar_Lumini

to Xstar_Lumini
Rogers Robbers Start Paddling hay if the price is right and the service knowledge is a lot better I'm getting Fed up with rogers stupidity since 1997 i have been with rogers and enuff is enuff the call service you can't even understand what there saying speaka of da english or give me someone you can speak English I'm a Canadian paying for a Canadian service

If i had Bill gates money I would just for a hobby to stick it to rogers make them bleed When my contract is over in March I got to do something I'm so Frustrated with them there maybe a couple of rogers service are ok but maybe 70% are incompetent Supervisors too

there 2 types Dumb and Dumber Bell or Rogers i just don't know who to pick
you pay for a service but they don't know the whole scoop

you know I was in Greece and this guy from TO says to me that roaming texting on wifi with iMessage to contact's with iMessages is free and it doesn't use the network Towers carrier so if its blue then its iMessage if its green then its using 3G 4G LTE

I knew about this but the rogers guy told me wifi text ins not free he should have told me about his he's the one that works for rogers he should know this stuff

he has my wireless account right in his face

I logged in my service Rogers account to see where i was on my texting plan of 200
and it showed me that was over exceeded of 65 There No Way i texed 200 in three days I'm not some young kid texts like foo Manchu So I had to get a three way calling from Greece to Canada with GF and told rogers lady about my situation

my travel pack I told them impossible in 3 days I texed 200 messages in three days
yeah maybe 20 text and day and that's be generous so 20x3=50 that's 60 Text

But today in my I go into my Product Service's and look t my travel Text Roaming messages now from 65 its back over under 75% with 200 unused and zero used that's when I hooked up to yahoo called my GF to call rogers she was nice and she logged everything and get us a reference number she was helpful

Also my travel pack has 40 minutes of voice snd now rogers is telling me that I'm 1 minute over what a bunch of clowns they are I had one found called since Sunday now where Thursday I have had but 2 phone calls from my mother and in total

6 minutes

If I get there ans start fighting I have 3 letters are going out Rogers Smarten the Fook up Rogers cuz I will quit paying you real Fast and freeze my account
Viper359
Premium Member
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON

Viper359 to mannyfresh

Premium Member

to mannyfresh
Do you see what%u2019s included in just the $80.00, 6 gig plan? It has everything, unlimited talk, including long distance, and includes voicemail, call display, and many other little addon's the Rogers just loves to charge extra for.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

said by Viper359:

Do you see what%u2019s included in just the $80.00, 6 gig plan? It has everything, unlimited talk, including long distance, and includes voicemail, call display, and many other little addon's the Rogers just loves to charge extra for.

Exactly. Also Verizon has several other plans but you have to hunt for them. One of which is a DATA ONLY plan for smartphones!

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

Given Verizon's (and other US carriers') behaviour in the US, I seriously doubt their own honesty. They would simply become another member of the club, and we'll be talking about Verobellus.

Precisely. Verizon is every bit the scumbag company that Robellus is or aspires to be. Some of the folks hear need to venture over to read some of the forums our American friends post to. The horror stories are strikingly similar and equally pathetic. The current oligopoly will be diluted, and that is what they fear.

If Verizon buys Wind, I may wait a year or so though, because the honeymoon period will likely see some bonuses and such as Verizon woos Canadians.

Mike

ex Telecom
@b2b2c.ca

ex Telecom to Ian1

Anon

to Ian1
No it won't The largest cableco in Quebec has been offering cell service for a while now, and packages are pretty much the same as robelus.
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

the cerberus

Seriously?

Why would Verizon want to join the club that just adamantly tried to keep it out of the country?
Robellus just payed large sums of money to keep Verizon out for what reason exactly?

They are scared they will have to really compete. A real threat, with lower costs(look it up and compare rogers/bell to verizon)

The small new entrants that came in never really could get the coverage, and Rogers, Bell and Telus would repeatedly buy the up (Moblicity, Fido, Virgin).
When Robellus learned they would actually have someone come in they could never buy they threw a big fit with these ads that not many buy into.
When a new carrier enters, in order to compete in the market, they will have to offer lower costs, and really ONLY big companies like Verizon can afford to do this while setting up, upgrading and expanding a new network.
elec999
join:2005-12-19

elec999 to Xstar_Lumini

to Xstar_Lumini
What's wrong with more competition on the market?

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by elec999:

What's wrong with more competition on the market?

The question isn't framed correctly. The major problem with the Canadian telecom industry is that there isn't ANY competition now. Of course Robellus is terrified at the prospect of having some.
raphaeld
Premium Member
join:2011-03-20
Scarborough, ON

raphaeld

Premium Member

Competition would still not really exist. When Target came here, people expected those prices to come here also. Go to Target and it's priced the same as all the other companies that were already here..significantly higher than USA prices.

eweazel
join:2008-12-09
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

eweazel

said by raphaeld:

Competition would still not really exist. When Target came here, people expected those prices to come here also. Go to Target and it's priced the same as all the other companies that were already here..significantly higher than USA prices.

And for that reason I don't shop at Target, But Walmart and the others lowered their prices a bit to keep people shopping at their stores. Walmart didn't do an all out media blitz demanding we keep target out, they knew they wouldn't lose customers to Target because they would fight to keep them. Its the opposite of what the big three are doing, they are increasing there costs and locking people into 3 year contracts now before the new rules kick in and at the same time trying to lock customers before Verizon comes in. At the same time using scare tactics on Canadians to force the government to block Verizon. They are not lowering their prices, they are not offering any deals.

Its going to be a personal choice, if you admire and don't mind the big 3, then stay with them. I for one am just waiting for my contract to be up with Virgin to move to wind, and
hopefully when/if Verizon comes on I will switch to them.

They will have to compete or else why would people move to them. To get market share they have to stand out. You see that with Lowes against Home Depot and Rona.

If Robellus was really that great, then why would they worry about competition. They could just stand pat and watch Verizon fail.

Another point, when you have the three coming together it shows even more how much they all talk and are really not competitors. When they bid together for the Olympics. and for the Leafs it proved that they are more friends then enemies.

I also like how they say there are 10 Companies already and that is enough Competition. When in reality they together own 8 of those companies.
appleh8r
join:2013-08-16

appleh8r to Xstar_Lumini

to Xstar_Lumini
The govt has put up a website.

»www.consumersfirst.ca/