Search similar:

uniqs
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

[Internet] new Rules for TurboHubs

Good Day,

My wife and I are DSL users who need anywhere from 60 to 160 gigs a month in bandwidth with low latency. A 5/1 connection would satisfy us for speed even, as it isn't really about speed in VPN connections.

We have both had the privilege of using Bell, Cogeco and TekSavvy at our previous residences in different areas. Since 2006.

At our current residence We have tried Xplornet 3G Sat Business 5 Mb/s down and have been using a Bell TurboHub since 2011. Wireless providers and/or homemade setups to reach a neighbour are not feasible due to trees.

We use two SIM cards to save money on the Turbo Hub, and would like to use it more, but it stops with warnings at 15 gigs each. We are using about 30 gigs bandwidth a month.

We are 1 KM line distance from DSL service, and would get DSL, but there is no interest in upgrading as we are on a dead end street, and apparently have poor phone lines (the voice quality is horrible on the lines)

We also have also have 3 land-lines coming to the house as my wife works from home connecting to assorted VPN hospitals in the north to provide medical services remotely.

1) Will the new wireless rules allow us essentially unlimited internet bandwidth (well, maybe 100 gigs a month), with the $50 cap on Turbo Hubs?

2) If any of the Bell techs can provide further insight on our situation in Petawawa/Pembroke, please PM me and I will send my address.

For the Bell people out there making the decisions on upgrades, this isn't the cast of you wouldn't be losing a more profitable TurboHub customer in my case if you provided DSL, you would be gaining someone who would still keep the Turbo Hub for travel.... and likely get the fastest package available.

I my wife and I just want to be able to download a linux distro or maybe watch a youtube video. Turbohub caps are just miserable for people who don't have DSL and rely on them full time.

R
zoid
join:2012-09-05

zoid

No, after 50$ they can't charge you more but they can cut off you Internet connection until the end of the month.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to jumpingryan

to jumpingryan
Im at tech in Ottawa and am loaned out to the valley on occasion, if you want to pm me your details I can see what we realistically have in your area. We do offer unlimited bandwith now for $10/month on dsl (if you have 3 services). Worst case if the lines on your road are bad but dsl is available, it would involve a bit of a process, in which a tech would come for the install and not be able to achieve synchronization and have to place your order with our cabling department who can repair your cable pairs back to the house and another tech would come to complete the installation.
Madwand
join:2002-12-03
Toronto, ON

Madwand to jumpingryan

to jumpingryan
Wasn't the maximum $50 data for ROAMING? i.e. outside Canada?
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to jumpingryan

to jumpingryan
The maximum for roaming will become 50$ domestic and 100$ international, if I recall correctly, when the rules take effect.

This isn't really relevant. When you go over, it's not free; your service is interrupted until you agree to additional charges.
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by Cloneman:

The maximum for roaming will become 50$ domestic and 100$ international, if I recall correctly, when the rules take effect.

This isn't really relevant. When you go over, it's not free; your service is interrupted until you agree to additional charges.

I actually just got this notification removed for both the sim cards. You just call Bell and waive it.

We monitor it ourselves, and there is no notification anymore.

I am hoping that the max will be $50, and hopefully they don't introduce any terms of service that allows a shutoff after you are reached the limit....

R