drluke

Assistance with High Corrected Blocks/Line Quality

Click for full size
Line Stats
Click for full size
Error Table
Click for full size
Bitloading Graph
I am experiencing some issues with my Uverse internet connection. I downloaded the UV Realtime app (v1.9.1.0) and let it run for a while. I am seeing a high number of corrected blocks and a few uncorrectable blocks. After viewing the BitLoading graph and reading some of the forums, I think I'm having a problem with bridge taps. I'm including some screen shots. Can someone confirm the diagnosis? How do I get help from AT&T?

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

It's a good possibility you may have some outside wiring issues. Are you actually in the 2700 foot range from the VRAD or do you have any rough idea where the cable runs and where the VRAD is? The gateways usually underestimate the distance even on a clean line. Mine says 900 feet and a SELT test showed 1323 feet from my NID and there is probably another 60-70 feet of CAT5 from the NID to my RG.

Your SN margin is pretty low for your line. Also, your max rate and profile rate are pretty close to one another which may just be another symptom of the issue. Regardless, that is probably not helping matters at all.

The tech that does the install should make sure the pairs are conditioned from the NID to the VRAD and all bridge taps should be removed. Have you made sure the line from your RG to the NID is a direct CAT5 home run? Assuming your inside wiring is clean, next time you have issues, I would open a ticket and get them to send a tech out to clean it up. If the line test clean from the NID, you might want to see if you are on an F card and can get swapped to a K card on the VRAD and possibly even swap out your 3800 for a new NVG589. Either or both of those options should improve the signal quality if all else is as good as it is going to get on your outside line.

my thoughts

Anon

Based on Max sync rate (less than 20% headroom), distance (over 2200 feet), and noise margin (less than 15) recommend RG swap for 3801.
Yes the 589 would work as well most trucks are being stocked with 2 each of the 3800, 3801 and 589,with 589 to be used when called for on install orders or frequently repair dispatches. As the OP does not meet these qualifications the correct RG is 3801.
Also agree moving from an F card to a K card would I probably improve Max sync rate but that is outside the scope of the uverse tech and lineman, needs to be planed and expedited by another dept as involves moving 48 ports on card not just single customer.

Call 1-800-288-2020 or chat on myAtt page for RG swap either shipped and do yourself at your convience or for a tech dispatch and four hour repair window.

After swap should see notably improvement.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

said by my thoughts :

Also agree moving from an F card to a K card would I probably improve Max sync rate but that is outside the scope of the uverse tech and lineman, needs to be planed and expedited by another dept as involves moving 48 ports on card not just single customer.

That is interesting that you say that. I had a tech out to repair repeated issues on my line and after running more SELT tests from various points and knowing what all had been previously swapped out, he decided, on the fly, to swap my port from an F to a K card on the VRAD. He made a phone call, drove down to the VRAD and 10 minutes later he comes back and everything is golden. Aside from the phone call, there was no planning. They just did it on the fly.
drluke
join:2005-11-30
Smyrna, GA

drluke

During the initial install, I believe the pad carried by the install tech said I was 2400 feet from the VRAD. I think the cabling from the NID to the RG is CAT3 (I'll double check this afternoon), but only 1-2 feet of it (opposite sides of an exterior wall). Between the RG and a 6 port GigE switch is about 75 feet of shielded CAT6.

If the NIDRG is CAT3, I can replace that myself and retest. If it doesn't improve, I think I'd like to get a tech onsite. Do you have any advice on getting them to take a closer look at the line? How should I ask to get moved from an F-card to a K-card? Is asking for an RG589, asking too much?

One additional question, I don't seem to have much going on about 5MHz. Is that because the configured profile rate doesn't make use of that part of the spectrum?

I appreciate any help you can give... Thanks!

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

CAT3 is probably okay, especially at such a short distance. So, that should rule out inside wiring as part of the issue. You just don't want them to come out and charge you for an inside wiring problem.

The distance data on the tech's iPad would have likely been from the VRAD self test capability. The question is where that test was run to. The handheld SELT test is typically much more accurate anyway.

If you call in complaining of intermittent outages, they should send a tech to specifically look at the line quality. You shouldn't have to tell them to test the line. If they test and they say the line appears clean, you can ask them about the possibility of a port issue. Ask them if you are on an F card. The K cards perform better on slightly longer loops out past 2000 feet.

I personally had an intermittent issue and had 3 different techs here swapping out everything when they found intermittent signal issues on the line. Eventually, the last tech said the only other thing they hadn't tried was swapping the port. It has been night and day since they did that. The tech shrugged his shoulders and said it was possible there was a borderline physical issue with the old port.

You can ask for a 589. It definitely won't hurt. But you will likely get denied at this point, unless you are eligible for pair bonding or a repeat repair issue. I would at least ask for a 3801. That should help a little.

There is always signal separation for up and downstream paths. That is why you see the empty frequencies on either side of the green. That is normal. What is not normal is that your bits per bin drop off much more rapidly than they should as you go up the spectrum and you have almost nothing to the right of the upstream frequencies. That is what is killing your line capacity. That is likely due to the SN margin being as low as it is.