spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dursmania

join:2006-07-06

[Northeast] Switching to Fios -- Can I Keep Current Home Network

Hi everyone -- we are considering switching to Fios. We've been on Cox for many years and I have an Asus Wireless N router that works well.
Cox has upped their speeds in RI but we'd be saving money going to Fios and I get tired of the outtages in the winter time when storms run through.

I realize Verizon provides their own router with Fios -- we are not getting TV service, so I am curious what I can expect in terms of whether or not I'll need to dismantle/rebuild my current home network under my Asus router.

I've read about putting the Fios routers in "bridge" mode (to use with 3rd party routers) which seems easy enough, but what other adjustments will I have to make? And will I need to change my current router ahead of time in preparation for the install?

Any advice or recommended links would be very much appreciated.

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Re: [Northeast] Switching to Fios -- Can I Keep Current Home Net

If you're not getting TV service then ditch the Actiontec and use your own router. Just make sure to have the install tech provision your line over CAT5 instead of COAX so you can use your router(you can also have it switched to CAT5 later via phone call).

»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Do I have to use the supplied router with Verizon FiOS?
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Coax or cat5 install?

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

Not sure why there is so much hate for what is actually a very good router. The only real deficiency is the wireless functionality.

If you're already fully networked it's easy enough to provision your ONT for ethernet and keep the actiontec around as backup router and never really use it.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to dursmania

Since you're not getting FIOS-TV, you can continue to use the ASUS. Just be sure to get a cat5 install as serge87 See Profile mentioned.

The downside of using the ASUS, is that if you call for support, VZ will not help you without the Actiontec being connected.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

mikev
Premium
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
reply to dursmania

I have TV, but not using VZ's boxes (so no MoCA need), and happily use an ASUS router for my internet connection.

dursmania

join:2006-07-06
reply to dursmania

So I will ask for a Cat5 install then. Can I suggest to the tech where to put the router? I'd like near my existing one because there's one part of the house where the coverage drops.

Also, is there any advantage to ordering Fios in the Verizon Store as opposed to online? Guess I'd like to get as good a deal as I can, or are the online quoted prices basically what they offer.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31

said by dursmania:

Can I suggest to the tech where to put the router?

Yes, you can suggest it. However, if running cat5 to the router is more work than using the existing coax, the tech may not honor the request. Your best bet is to run cat5 in advance to where you want the router.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.