RJW1678

join:2003-01-15
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to muzicman82

Re: Anyone UPS Protecting ONT / Router?

I have a CyberPower 1500PFCLCD 1500va UPS backing up the Motorola ONT1000GT4 box and the Actiontec MI424WR Rev.I . They use about 30va/19watts. My CyberPower 1500va UPS says I have about 2 1/2 hours of backup time on a 100% charge of the batteries. UPS units are very inefficient converting 12volt DC to 120 volt AC and therefore they do not give more than a couple of hours of backup time(even if the devices being backed up do not use much electricity). After about 20 seconds my whole house standby generator restores electricity to my house and the UPS thinks the electricity has been restored, so I do not have to worry about long UPS run time.

Later
Bob W.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
said by RJW1678:

I have a CyberPower 1500PFCLCD 1500va UPS backing up the Motorola ONT1000GT4 box and the Actiontec MI424WR Rev.I . They use about 30va/19watts. My CyberPower 1500va UPS says I have about 2 1/2 hours of backup time on a 100% charge of the batteries. UPS units are very inefficient converting 12volt DC to 120 volt AC and therefore they do not give more than a couple of hours of backup time(even if the devices being backed up do not use much electricity). After about 20 seconds my whole house standby generator restores electricity to my house and the UPS thinks the electricity has been restored.

Later
Bob W.

For many years I've been getting between 2 hours and 18 hours of runtime from my APC UPSs. Depending on the devices and the load on them. For instance my Alarm system gets 18 hours of runtime from the APC UPS it's on before the alarms internal battery takes over. My ONT and router gets up to 18 hours of runtime too on the UPS they are plugged into. And my TiVos get over 12 hours of runtime on the UPSs they are on. Although the ones that have my TVs, receivers, subwoofers, PCs, etc. only get around 2 to 5 hours of runtime depending on the load.

RJW1678

join:2003-01-15
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

4 edits
I prefer an UPS that has about a 2 1/2 hour backup and a generator for extended electric outages. Because a smaller UPS costs less and a generator is a better solution for extended electric outages. A gasoline generator with quality voltage regulation costs between $600-$1500(depending on size) - while a whole house standby generator(that runs off of natural gas) costs a lot more - but either one is a better choice in an extended electric outage. I feel that I have to look out for myself since emergency services from the government & charity org's have proven to be very limited.

Later,
Bob W.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
said by RJW1678:

I prefer an UPS that has about a 2 1/2 hour backup and a generator for extended electric outages. Because a smaller UPS costs less and a generator is a better solution for extended electric outages. A gasoline generator with quality voltage regulation costs between $600-$1500(depending on size) - while a whole house standby generator(that runs off of natural gas) costs a lot more - but either one is a better choice in an extended electric outage. I feel that I have to look out for myself since emergency services from the government & charity org's have proven to be very limited.

Later,
Bob W.

I would love to have a generator but I live in a condo so it isn't an option for me. If I lived in a house I would have one, but then I would have other things to deal with in a house which are a PITA to me.