share rss forum feed

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to muzicman82

Re: Anyone UPS Protecting ONT / Router?

I have my ONT and router on an APC BR1500 (1500VA).
Gives me several hours of backup.

I removed the battery from the BBU when the battery died since I don't have VZ's phone service.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

muzicman82

join:2011-12-05
Woodstown, NJ
said by More Fiber:

I have my ONT and router on an APC BR1500 (1500VA).
Gives me several hours of backup.

I removed the battery from the BBU when the battery died since I don't have VZ's phone service.

I am actually considering the BR1500G which looks to be the newer version of the same. Many of the reviews I have read suggested I most people will want to get the optional external battery pack. I'm thinking I don't need it for just the ONT and Router? I guess it is nice that I could start with this and add later?

Does the ONT battery ONLY do POTS or does it provide backup for the whole ONT?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
said by muzicman82:

The BBU supports TV and internet for 5 minutes in the event of a power failure.
After 5 minutes, only the phone section of the ONT is supported.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
reply to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

No alarm from the ONT without the battery?

Bob99

join:2001-12-07
Teaneck, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to muzicman82
said by muzicman82:

said by tnsprin:

Ont's are essentially UPS protected, with their battery backup. Unfortunately they let the internet and TV drop off after a few minutes leaving only phone service active.

said by More Fiber:

The BBU supports TV and internet for 5 minutes in the event of a power failure.
After 5 minutes, only the phone section of the ONT is supported.

It seems to vary depending on what ONT you have. Verizon tells you that the battery only backs up the phone, but my Alcatel-Lucent I-211M-H ONT keeps both phone and internet powered for hours. (I don't have FiOS TV.) It has never run more than a few hours on the battery, so I don't know whether it would eventually drop the internet, but it certainly gives me a lot more than 5 minutes. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I have Ethernet from the ONT to the router.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
said by Bob99:

Verizon tells you that the battery only backs up the phone, but my Alcatel-Lucent I-211M-H ONT keeps both phone and internet powered for hours.

I also have an Alcatel-Lucent I-211M-H
I've unplugged it, and ran a stopwatch test on numerous occasions, and the Ethernet and TV connection lasts exactly 15 minutes on the battery alone.

More than 5 min, but not hours.

Oh, and I do have an APC SU750XL UPS that the ONT and Router are always plugged into.

Long UPS run-time isn't really an issue though, as long as the generator fires up..
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Bob99
It is short sighted when so many subscribers have 3rd party voip... that's why I keep a cellphone at the ready.. I also have backup hansets for 911. You should be allowed to program what services it keeps running since it is your power.. it should be your choice, not Verizon's or the ont makers'. In extreme disasters, even cell & pots have been known to fail as well. Plain old CB, HAM (more recently GMRS) radios have been lifesavers in disasters going back generations. Chances are SOMEBODY in your town has one.. Assume all traditional telecom services can fail.. Between 9/11, the 2003 northeast blackout and Sandy, you should have analog resources available & an emergency kit/go bag.
I don't have a ups dedicated & connected to the fios power module, but if I needed to, I could hook it up in an emergency but it would take 5 mins for the ont to reset & the router/voip box to do their thing. Cellphone would be much quicker. I don't believe in running (personal) generators to make oil companies more rich just for electricity; it is not cost effective. We should be demanding better emergency services (equitably distributed) from government & charity org's, not ourselves.

BTW, this has been discussed plenty over the years.. but generally important to make newcomers aware of the issues and possible solutions.