All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
daggio0
join:2005-07-03

daggio0

[ALL] Contour Coming Soon...

I just received an email that Contour is coming soon. Does anyone have a description of this new service?

»contourcomingsoon.com/

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl

MVM

A very quick found this...

»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 13-03-05

...which may or may not be relevant.
daggio0
join:2005-07-03

daggio0

Yes, thanks, I saw that also. I wonder if this is just a rebranding? I wanted to move to the whole home DVR and am waiting to see what Contour is, if anything...

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX to daggio0

Premium Member

to daggio0
My guess is that "Contour" is the Cisco Videoscape Multiscreen part of the new Record 6 WHDVR

»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· dex.html

Anonguy
@cox.net

Anonguy

Anon

It is a rebranding of the Trio guide that includes the 6 tuner box plus more including a new Ipad app.

»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 13-08-01
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to daggio0

Premium Member

to daggio0
I hope the ipad app is not only going to be for Trio users since it's supposed to allow ondemand access.

cxemp
@cox.net

cxemp to Anonguy

Anon

to Anonguy
ipad app had 90 chs of live TV, on demad improved program guide that interacts with the contour(trio) cable box. plus future expandability.

mkm1998
@totaltaxservices.com

mkm1998

Anon

If it's like all the other mobile apps where you have to be on the same internet service (i.e. Cox HSI) then it's not that big a deal.

Now if it's like HBO Go where I can sign in anywhere on my iPad and watch my recorded shows anywhere (i.e. Hotel, friend's house), then we are in business!

Anonguy
@cox.net

Anonguy

Anon

It is here!

»contour.cox.com/
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to mkm1998

Premium Member

to mkm1998
the new ipad app is supposed to have all the channels apps built in, but I can't use it since I only have an IPAD V1.

NerdHerd1914
@coxfiber.net

NerdHerd1914 to mkm1998

Anon

to mkm1998
I think some of the On Demand will let you access from on the go
eekthecat
join:2009-10-15
Irvine, CA

eekthecat to daggio0

to daggio0
As much as I'd LOVE to have 6 tuners, I still have NO IDEA whether this is something that will cost me more, if it's a re-branding of what I already have (besides the hardware), or anything else. Sadly, I don't trust my local Cox store to just give me info and not try to upsell

Anonguy
@cox.net

Anonguy

Anon

said by eekthecat:

As much as I'd LOVE to have 6 tuners, I still have NO IDEA whether this is something that will cost me more, if it's a re-branding of what I already have (besides the hardware), or anything else. Sadly, I don't trust my local Cox store to just give me info and not try to upsell

Here in AZ it is $4.99 more.

Only Prerequisite here is you have to have the Whole Home DVR or the Plus package. You cannot get it by itself.
signcarver
join:2005-03-20
Phoenix, AZ

signcarver

Depends on how you look at it... the DVR fee is $4.99 more ($15/$10) but there is also a service fee of $10 and a box fee of $8.50 (same as any other box) so it is $33.50/month ($402/year) before any tv packages are even added. Tivo is looking better all the time with this pricing but I will stick with WMC.

Anonguy
@cox.net

Anonguy

Anon

said by signcarver:

Depends on how you look at it... the DVR fee is $4.99 more ($15/$10) but there is also a service fee of $10 and a box fee of $8.50 (same as any other box) so it is $33.50/month ($402/year) before any tv packages are even added. Tivo is looking better all the time with this pricing but I will stick with WMC.

And I mentioned exactly that. The prereqs were you already had to have those things.
signcarver
Phoenix, AZ

signcarver

My point for what I have using WMC and a cablecard tuner I save $31.50/month.

My main wmc setup I have 4 cablecard tuners (1 device), 2 clear qam tuners, 2 analog tuners and 2 OTA ATSC tuners and 16TB of storage and am only charged $2/month for the cablecard rental and get "all" that is provided above (a 4 tuner tivo would be a similar $2/month cablecard fee +$15/month for tivo service saving $16/month... though to be fair currently that is only 4 tuners so it really only saves $11/month since it is $5 more for the 6 tuner above but there should be a 6 tuner version out this fall). For another $300 (plus another $2/month if I use both devices) I can add another 6 tuner cablecard device... it also (at least currently) includes the plus pack channels at no additional charge (free hd). With xboxes I have whole home function for all channels and recordings... Other devices may only work with copy freely content. Only thing I am missing is access to vod but since I record "everything" anyway, I already have it on-demand.

-Note: we are only talking about the fees associated to get the 6 tuner dvr and/or cablecard rental not programming fees for the channels as those will be the same (though cox apparently charges that $5/$10 service fee to include the plus pack on their cable boxes though the fee is really for the trio guide etc. not (necessarily) the channels themselves.

avillafane
@cox.net

avillafane

Anon

well i just got the 6 turner dvr i got 2 of them its a cisco 9865 and it a fast dvr it i have 4 tb of drive space it uses the firmware 3.1.0.7302 its was installed jul 13 and if you need to get in to diag info hold the exit button until the power button blinks then push down down and the number 2 fast and your in the diag. The bad thing was it cost me 60 dollars to install and i did most of the install all needs to be done by the tech that he txt on his phone your numbers on the boxes to the headend and headend does most of the job just the tech looks at the you db number and sees it between 35-40 db and if it is your set if not he will just put this cheap balancer on the box and hook you cable in or a splitter might get the numbers up too but to me it was a rip off to pay 60 that i could have done it my self but both box are working good and the fast forward on the box is faster then the old one if you go past 6x
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

The "Contour" is an additional 9.95 a month + $79.95 install fee, no way. The TIVO is looking better. I don't have an Ianything. I'm SOL. (Android) My only issue is, would a 6 tuner tivo work for 3 sets in the house, two high def, one standard def? I'd probably have to call an electrician to run the ethernet cables, too.

-Rob
signcarver
Phoenix, AZ

signcarver

Rob_ are you basing this $10 on $5 additional for the "dvr" service and $5 additional for the "trio/countour" service? As I seem to recall it used to be only a $5 fee for PlusPack/Trio service and now it looks like it is $10 for the countour service. Or is it $10 more for the DVR service there or are you just referring to the countour service fee alone?

With tivo you can get their "mini" to serve your other TVs... they use moca so you should be ready to go if you already have cable to your two additional sets (you still may need ethernet to your primary tivo location if you don't have a moca adapter to your router (or you can wait for the SBG6782 to be approved as a modem/gateway which has built in moca). The photos/specs I have say the mini does have composite output that should serve your SD tv... but in installation instructions they only mention HDMI and Component. Each mini is $99 (purchase) + $6/month service and requires a 4 tuner (or more when they get 6 tuner models) Tivo at $249 or $399 (purchase) + $15/month service as the mini itself must use the primary tivo's tuners (unlike the additional boxes for WHDVR which have their own tuners for "live" tv, though with 6 tuners contour might also get streaming only boxes). Here any additional receivers are $8.50 each so that offsets the service for the mini (I had already mentioned how service for tivo compares).

I am hoping cox eventually allows tivo to do on-demand (it was announced a while back then nothing for more than a year) otherwise you miss out on on-demand but is that really important when you have a dvr unless the drive is full?

I also expect the countour fees to come down eventually with 24 month commitments but the first 6 months (unless everyone is avoiding it by price alone) they are only going to get it to the people willing to pay. As for pro install of WHDVR/countour, the main thing is to make sure a moca poe filter gets installed so your moca doesn't travel outside your house, and for some, their wiring and connections may need a little work as well since moca operates above 1GHz so for most I do recommend the pro install but it should not be necessary if they can provide the filter.
Rob_
Premium Member
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

Based on what the billing rep told me $9.95 a month. PLUS an additional $70.00 install fee!! Note, we already have whole home DVR and this is terrible they would do something like this. I'm on a fixed income and thought this would be something nice to get. (Already having a few conflicts with the two tuner) however, it's just television.

If there wasn't any "install fee", I'd get the upgrade.

-Rob
DarkFlow
join:2011-09-04
Lakeside, CA

DarkFlow

I have this contour thing, and I only have the plus package. I don't think you need to throw in a extra 9.95 for it.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

said by DarkFlow:

I have this contour thing, and I only have the plus package. I don't think you need to throw in a extra 9.95 for it.

do you have the record 6 dvr also? maybe you were given a special. I was told one contour fee covers the whole house.

Pig Vomit
@cox.net

Pig Vomit

Anon

I just called Cox regarding switching from Whole Home DVR on 2 TVs to Contour in Orange County. I was quoted an installation price of $39.95, discounted from their regular fee because I would be switching from Whole Home. They said the Contour service would be an additional $15 per month.

I will go by my Cox store later today to see if the boxes are faster than Whole Home. Whole Home boxes are SLOW.
Rob_
Premium Member
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

I'll pay the $40.00 install fee, not $70.00 why does this vary by market? Ugh..

-Rob

Pig Vomit
@cox.net

Pig Vomit to Pig Vomit

Anon

to Pig Vomit
FYI:

Went to my Cox Store yesterday. Tried the Contour box out. Definitely a faster box, but, unfortunately, the box still takes too long to switch between channels. Hate having to wait 1 second each time I change a channel. HATE IT. But it's the same as the Whole Home box.

At first they were going to charge me $63 and change for an installation fee.....I told them I was quoted $39.95 over the phone, which they said they'd match....but they had trouble forcing the $39.95 price onto their system. So instead they just waived the install fee (yes, free). Also, my increased bill will be $10/month for the Contour, not the $15 I was quoted over the phone.

Gets installed Wednesday.

avillafane
@cox.net

avillafane

Anon

you got lucky you got it waved i had to pay 60 to get it installed and i installed it my self all the tech did is put numbers of boxes in his cell phone and i got it on so it sucks for me i guess and the boxes are hot it can go up to 70 c so i have it on the side and it lowers the temp by 10-15c but this boxes are faster and gives you alot to record at once and 4x the hard drive space so its nice