spc
uniqs
mik29999
join:2008-07-21
Toronto, ON

mik29999 to KeithM15

to KeithM15

Re: Issues with new Teksavvy modem and new Asus Router

I have the same router and modem with Teksavvy. Initially I couldn't connect either, but I believe it was due to some network issues with Teksavvy and Rogers. Even when those issues were resolved, I still couldn't connect through the router. Ultimately I got it working by keeping the modem wired to the router, doing a factory reset on the modem, and unplugging the power from the modem and letting it sit for a few hours (a few minutes was insufficient), then plugging the power back in to the modem. I could suddenly get an ip on the router.

5 minutes after I got my first IP I flashed the router with the Tomato firmware and haven't had any similar problems since. I found the Asus auto-configuration irritating. Tomato seems more reliable in that regard.

KeithM15
@69.90.75.x

KeithM15

Anon

Last night we suddenly stopped getting service, even when plugged directly into the modem. We spoke with Teksavvy and eventually they decided it was something on their end, so they're sending a technician out on Saturday.

I'm definitely going to try what you said when we get service restored, and yeah I've already been advised to use Tomato so that's definitely going to happen.

wasHighwire
@teksavvy.com

wasHighwire

Anon

Instead of loading Tomato on your new Asus router, I suggest using Merlin's firmware.

Forum:
»forums.smallnetbuilder.c ··· der=desc

Downloads:
»www.mediafire.com/asuswr ··· -merlin/

KeithM15
@69.90.75.x

KeithM15 to mik29999

Anon

to mik29999
Thanks! This solved the problem! We had to do another reset of the router , but I guess for whatever reason this combination of leaving the router/modem connected and disconnecting the modem worked out. I'll be looking into Tomato now as well.

Thanks for your help everybody!
mik29999
join:2008-07-21
Toronto, ON

mik29999

Glad it worked for you too. If you flash with a non-Asus firmware, you may have to do the long power-off trick again to get an IP with Tomato the first time too. I had to do that again at least.