spc
Search similar:

uniqs
OrangeC
join:2013-07-07
Oelwein, IA

OrangeC

[IA] Watch out Direct TV users.

Apparently when i had internet installed the tech cut one of the direct tv wires disabling our service. The direct tv tech told us mediacom techs are very spiteful of direct tv which is very poor and pathetic in my taste. Now im not sure if they did that as an accident or if he intentionally meant to cut the cable. Just wanted to let people and some mediacom reps know about this.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Working for Mediacom so long, I can assure you that most of the time it is fully accidental. This happens both ways, we get calls where directv, DISH, etc. cut lines over and disconnected out, and vice versa. Unfortunately employees of both don't always pay the attention that they should and this occurs. I am very sorry this happened, did they have to charge you a service call fee or anything along those lines?
OrangeC
join:2013-07-07
Oelwein, IA

OrangeC

No they did not but there was no need to cut an existing wire where all they needed to to do is run a new wire from the pole and into the room. I even told them where the location of the direct tv cables were at, And yeah they were like: yeah kay but they stil ended up messing it up.

Your service is great but the technicians are not so bright sorry to say.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I can check with that technician and his supervisor on this and make sure this is not happening for any sort of malicious reason.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to OrangeC

MVM

to OrangeC
Same thing happened to me years ago, Mediacom installer cut a Dish coax, even after I told him that he needed to run a new line into the house and not to touch anything already in place.
Pringlescan
join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA

Pringlescan to OrangeC

to OrangeC
said by OrangeC:

Apparently when i had internet installed the tech cut one of the direct tv wires disabling our service. The direct tv tech told us mediacom techs are very spiteful of direct tv which is very poor and pathetic in my taste. Now im not sure if they did that as an accident or if he intentionally meant to cut the cable. Just wanted to let people and some mediacom reps know about this.

DirectTV techs are just as spiteful if not worse than MC techs. Honestly though, techs that bash other company techs are just tools.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to OrangeC

Premium Member

to OrangeC
Fwiw
I used to install satellite TV and most installers are piece workers
Generally they don't give a hoot and do whatever is easiest/fastest

I don't do TV but do have cable internet for many years and if tech was a Cox employee I got excellent service, with the subs I received marginal service - they just wanted to get ur done ASAP

Low pay often equals lower quality service (and greater stockholder returns)....
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6 to OrangeC

to OrangeC
I guess I don't quite understand what is happening -- are these installers (regardless who) just cutting all other coaxial cables within reach of where they are working for the joy of it? Or are they specifically cutting a cable so they can reuse an already drilled hole through the wall from the outside in? Or are talking about inside wiring that is being cut, such as a line to a TV? What reason is being given for the wire cutting?

OldCableGuy
@planetcr.net

OldCableGuy

Anon

It's a bit different in Cedar Rapids because we have two cable providers, but when I worked for Mediacom it was not uncommon to just cut the line off the side of the McLeodATS ground block, throw a SNS purple fitting on it, and then connect it to the Mediacom ground block, switching all the outlets over to Mediacom from Imon. Unless the customer specifically stated they wanted to keep their existing service, it was assumed when we were there to install we would be switching everything over.

Now, with minidish it may be a bit different because I would suspect that if someone is getting internet only they might be keeping their minidish, but when I worked for Mediacom minidish didn't even offer locals so there was not much competition from these providers and I can't say.
Gozinta
join:2011-09-18
Moyock, NC

Gozinta to OrangeC

to OrangeC
Another reason could be one that I encountered. I have Mediacom internet and Directv. The Mediacom cable was cut and a new one had to be installed. When they got to the box the technician stated that "they used our box and took our ground, that is illegal, they do it all the time." He was referring to the junction box on the house that was installed by Mediacom originally. He wanted to disconnect the ground and pull the wires out of the box. We compromised and all was good. You may need to be aware of what is going on and check before you sign anything and let them leave.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to OrangeC

Premium Member

to OrangeC
S**t happens! Get a contractor and he will do everything he can to cut the time spent on the job. Some of them simply don't give a damn! Some simply make a mistake.

I have done many service calls where satellite installers cut Mediacom lines.

MediaCon
@mchsi.com

MediaCon to OrangeC

Anon

to OrangeC
said by OrangeC:

I knew long time installer here in central illinois that cut lines of the competition and would say ooooops when confronted. he was thinking he was protecting his job and in all reallity
dish/direct users usually switch back to what-ever is cheapest But WORKS. so there ya have it. MediaCom might not be the greatest since sliced bread but us old 14.4 an old dial-uppers know where the quality is.