spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jrm2011
join:2013-07-28
Poplarville, MS

jrm2011

4.5 Mbps

I've had the 6mbps plan available at my address but it turns out my address couldn't support it (kept loosing connection). I wonder if I could get att to let me pay for the elite plan but throttle my speed to 4.5mbps so it wouldn't go in and out all the time?

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

It isn't about the actual data rate being transmitted. It is about the actual DSL synchronization at Layer 2. If the transport profile to support a particular speed tier is not stable, they have to bump you down to the next lower transport profile. At that point, you can only qualify for the highest speed tier for that particular profile.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to jrm2011

MVM

to jrm2011
AT&T only offers tiers. If you can't get stable sync at a higher tier, they won't let you have the tier, even at a stable lower speed. It isn't a technical matter, but policy. I was on a 9,156 foot loop with an estimated max sync of 5140:

Estimated Maxrate from SpeedStream 4100 modem.

Consequently, they only offered me 3.0 Mbps ADSL service. With the 15% ATM overhead, actual down speed was only ~2.5 Mbps.

OTOH, a local CLEC, Sonic.net, offers an ADSL2+ service from their own DSLAM; and their "Fusion" service isn't tiered, but "up to" the maximum stable rate possible:

Actual, stable sync with ADSL2+ modem.

At the sync rate shown, stable speed is 4.9 Mbps (~sync*0.85).

Unfortunately, Sonic.net is not available outside of California. But their are other, similar CLEC services in other states. You will have to search for your region.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

You might try connecting your modem at the NID and seeing if the signal to noise margin (SN or S/N) improves significantly . If it does, new inside wiring could let you do better.
jrm2011
Poplarville, MS

jrm2011

I have a direct line run to my modem from the NID. The tech did this to ensure no problems would ever be because of a problem on my end.
jrm2011

jrm2011 to NormanS

to NormanS
AT&T has a monopoly on my area. The only other option is cable, but because I live so far off of the road, it is way too expensive to get.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

1 edit

StillLearn

Premium Member

What is your S/N and attenuation?

What would have been good when you were on 6 was for them to have turned on more interleaving if possible. They may have already had interleaving to the max for you.

You could also consider a wireless provider. LTE services for data may be available to you.

That said, 3 Mb DSL is not bad at all for general browsing, and it is reasonably priced. It has pretty good ping times. I don't know where your congestion comes from, but various blockers that keep you from downloading thing you don't really want anyway can help. Why download a flash ad? Adblock Plus and Noscript give you better control.
jrm2011
Poplarville, MS

jrm2011

18 S/N and 51 Attenuation.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

That is a nice 18 S/N. Not so nice 51.

Supposedly the 6 MHz DSL should have dropped its speed automatically when things got lossy, but maybe it was not as transparent as it could have been.

You could try inquiring in the ATT Direct forum, but it may not be something they could do.

Also, there are a lot of used DSL modems out there now. Maybe somebody could identify one that works better than others with a weaker signal.
jrm2011
Poplarville, MS

jrm2011

They ended up dropping it a month after I got it from the plan offerings.
jrm2011

jrm2011

And the crazy thing was that it ended up working for about 20 days then it just decided it couldn't handle the 6mbps

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to jrm2011

Premium Member

to jrm2011
said by jrm2011:

They ended up dropping it a month after I got it from the plan offerings.

Did they drop it in response to a problem that you called in with, or just out of the blue?
jrm2011
Poplarville, MS

jrm2011

Well, they dropped it out of the blue on me after about 4 weeks, I had experienced trouble around the 3rd week. I got in touch with someone at uverse care and they got me the plan back, but the only way I could stay connected was to go back to the 3mbps plan.