All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to treich

to treich

Re: [Tech Ops] Is there anyway to put live network status on web

And a way for your competitor(s) to keep records of you outages as well.
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

said by battleop:

And a way for your competitor(s) to keep records of you outages as well.

Agreed. One should not air their dirty laundry in public.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

EPB is well known for doing this. I know that they were going around telling the customers of one of the smaller ISPs in town that they were were going out of business because they had discontinued one of their product lines.

Never give your competition's sales people any ammo.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to LLigetfa

MVM

to LLigetfa
Disagree.

The ISP I used to work for lists all of their planned and unplanned outages on their site in full public view. If I was running an ISP I would be doing the same.

Most people actually appreciate openness from their providers.
gunther_01
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01

Premium Member

said by TomS_:

Disagree.

The ISP I used to work for lists all of their planned and unplanned outages on their site in full public view. If I was running an ISP I would be doing the same.

Most people actually appreciate openness from their providers.

Yes they do appreciate it. If it's a huge deal for any one to let their competitors see outages, just set your web host to allow only your IP addresses and maybe a few management ones. Pretty simple fix
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

said by gunther_01:

If it's a huge deal for any one to let their competitors see outages, just set your web host to allow only your IP addresses and maybe a few management ones. Pretty simple fix

If only visible from inside your network, then when the network is down, they would not be able to access. I would assume your subs would be using an alternate (cellphone) provider to check.

I agree with notifying for planned outages and unplanned only if they are for extended times.
gunther_01
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01

Premium Member

Very True. Or sometimes we have neighbors help neighbors and such. One could also password protect the directory with a very simple/basic username and password for their customers use.