spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hailey

@verizon.net

[Billing] Moved but stayed w/ Verizon STILL charged termination

I signed a 2 yr contract for Verizon Fios at my old house, moved last month - tried to move my service, was told the new place doesn't have Fios yet... fine.

I tried to sign up for regular Verizon service - phone, net, TV, but they don't offer TV - they offer Satelite TV which my building won't allow.... fine I'll just get net and phone.

In the mail comes a bill for $200 early termination fee.

Is this possible?? Or is this a mistake?

If I'd known I was going to be charged this I would have gone with another provider, like say Comcast, because THEY at least can provide me with TV service.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 edit

Re: [Billing] Moved but stayed w/ Verizon STILL charged terminat

This subject has been asked quite afew times over the last few years and the answer has always been the same. If you lock in a contract and move to an area that does not have FIOS available then you are still legally obligated to that contract. The key word is legally as afew have been able to find a good customer support rep to have the contract voided.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
reply to Hailey

Heh if it makes you feel any better I got charged an early termination fee for moving my fios account from my apartment to my new house a few years back. Both locations have fios, but I still got charged the fee even though I didn't even cancel my account!

After 2 days wasted on customer service I got it removed though.

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ
reply to Hailey

I bet they did it as a disconnect and not a move order. The sales office does shit like that because it looks like they are getting a new sale.

hdsports2

@verizon.net
reply to bohratom

said by bohratom:

This subject has been asked quite afew times over the last few years and the answer has always been the same. If you lock in a contract and move to an area that does not have FIOS available then you are still legally obligated to that contract. The key word is legally as afew have been able to find a good customer support rep to have the contract voided.

I went out of contract after a couple of renewals because of the possibility that I might relocate to an area without FIOS and get charged an ETF. In all cases (at least 3 or 4 times) when the subject came up with a FIOS rep, I was told the ETF would not apply if I moved to an area thqt did not offer FIOS. However, due to reading many testimonials of customers whose experience proved to the contrary, I am glad I decided not to re-up.

Jcink

join:2005-12-19
none
reply to Hailey

When I moved, I had a different situation. I couldn't afford downtime on the connection so I made a new install, but when I cancelled the old one I'd just explained the situation. The rep was really good and understood completely and let that slide. So yes, they do normally do it, but if your rep sucked then they screwed you. Maybe you can get the charge removed if you call them up and bother enough about it.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

2 year tos NOW states that if you move you pay ETF, even if new location has FIOS.. however.. if they screw you with an ETF, why would you stay with them if you have other options and they make you pay ETF.. it makes no sense. The most they should reasonably charge is another "install fee" and in most cases an ETF should be PRORATED starting either at the beginning or at 12 months in.. because of many deals which have a lower rate and higher rate combination (stand-alone internet for example).

These are gotchas that potential Verizon customers need to read about before signing that contract.. as it is becoming more like cellular ETFs by the day..

brak22
Premium
join:2006-04-13
kudos:1
reply to Hailey

this is a billing error. what state do you reside in?