share rss forum feed

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to Ian

Re: Canadian Big 3 Turning Up The Heat

Seems to be true at the Government level. Just saw this.

Commons committee votes against wireless hearings

A House of Commons committee took less than 22 minutes Tuesday to vote down a proposal by the Opposition NDP for hearings on rules governing the wireless industry and the looming auction of radio-wave spectrum.

The New Democrats forced an extraordinary meeting of the industry committee to decide whether to hold hearings on the auction, which is slated to begin in January and is expected to generate billions for government coffers.

»www.thestar.com/business/2013/08···ngs.html

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to Ian
said by Ian:

It made no sense at all ever. "Trust us, Canadians, there's more than enough competition as it is, and to prove it we'll band together in lock-step and wage a PR campaign."

Not to mention it was self serving and a desperate campaign simply because they want that extra profit in their pockets. What's the worst that's going to happen? The execs don't get a bonus for a while and they lower prices to match? Oh boo hoo.

LondonOntGuy

join:2004-05-12
London, ON
reply to elitefx
I see the unions are now boo-hooing about Verizon coming in and them "stealing Canadian jobs". So where the FUCK were they 10 years ago when Hell outsourced their customer support to India?

donkey

join:2008-04-08
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Acanac
said by LondonOntGuy:

I see the unions are now boo-hooing about Verizon coming in and them "stealing Canadian jobs". So where the FUCK were they 10 years ago when Hell outsourced their customer support to India?

Haiti for the frenchman jobs.
--
WestLink Cable is a SCAM

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to elitefx
The CRTC is now set it's sights on the outrageous roaming charges charged by Robellus.

After capping what Robellus can charge, they now want to see the agreements they ave with the various carriers.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission is asking the country’s cellphone providers for historical data on the fees they charge their customers for using their phones in the United States, as well as for copies of all existing contracts between Canadian and American carriers that allow them to share networks when their customers travel.

Rogers is quoted as saying they're looking into and hey look over here, we're just introduced a $7.95/day roaming charge for the US!

»www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o···4051616/

They're bloody thieves $1.45/min for phone calls , 75c/text and $8/50mb of data.

--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
That's always funny. A voice call is as much as using a pay phone and data rates are just overpriced. If I ever go to the US I'm going to be paying for a roaming provider (which is still less expensive) or using a local sim.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to LondonOntGuy
said by LondonOntGuy:

Outsourcing/Overseas workers were a key factor in the TELUS strike in '05...

It's not something the Union's turned a blind eye to, trust me...

@teksavvy.com

Verizon will have 52Billion new debt shortly

»www.theguardian.com/business/201···zon-sale
do you think verizon will afford to have lower rates then the big three now?

its going to after this move have extra 52 billion in debt

notabot

@rogers.com
Corporations operate in the red all the time. Going in to debt in order to grow a company is almost universally a good idea.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
reply to Guest
Probably why they've backed away from the purchase of Wind

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to LondonOntGuy

Re: Canadian Big 3 Turning Up The Heat

said by LondonOntGuy:

Pretty sure this union only represents field operations workers. Don't even think Bell has unionized call centre workers, I think Telus is the only one that does.

rogersmogers

@start.ca
CEO Says Verizon Not Coming to Canada

The CEO of Verizon says the US telecom giant had only limited interest in Canada, and it now has no interest following the acquisition of Vodafone's stake in Verizon Wireless.

Bloomberg reports Lowell McAdam said in an interview that speculation about entering Canada was "way overblown."

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to elitefx
Well everyone can calm down now.

Looks like Verizon's CEO has spoken out and explicitly stated that they have no intentions of entering the Canadian market and that the media reports were completely overblown.

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac

1 recommendation

said by yyzlhr:

Looks like Verizon's CEO has spoken out and explicitly stated that they have no intentions of entering the Canadian market and that the media reports were completely overblown.

Translation:

Robellus gave us a big bag of money to stay out of Canada.....

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to yyzlhr
Mostly so the media outlets had an excuse to overhype US competition. Doesn't preclude someone else from coming in though. I'd still watch T-Mobile given they initially put funding in Fido years ago.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to rednekcowboy
said by rednekcowboy:

said by yyzlhr:

Translation:

Robellus gave us a big bag of money to stay out of Canada.....

Let's use some common sense here now.

MJB

join:2012-01-29
Reviews:
·VMedia
·ACN DSL
reason's why business won't change...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxsQ7jJJcEA

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
reply to elitefx
Verizon just ended up in about 50bn in debt which was laid back onto them by the sale by Vodaphone. They don't have the financing to consider Canada.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
Though they also got 2.1 billion left over from the loan. So they could gamble on it but likely won't.

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
reply to elitefx
So this got me thinking, what if this Verizon interest story was created by the vertically integrated media conglomerates to push the agenda of said conglomerates.

Simply a propaganda method leading to a means for the big three to focus lobby efforts on "leveling the playing field"
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
Probably, but all it really did was make people aware how much they actually suck.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to MJB
RIP George, you were one of the best comedians out there.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to elitefx
Pundits are saying that now that Verzion has backed off, expect prices to rise.

Analysts are saying (those that benefit the most from a healthy Robellus) that they are "sensitive" to the consumers wallets and won't raise prices (like bloody hell).

They know that the new entrants don't have the money to buy spectrum, and come next year will probably sell themselves to the Robellus.

»business.financialpost.com/2013/···e-hikes/

Kelly McParland in the National Post today is absolutely hilarious.

Moncton is saved. “Amanda,” the “call trainer” from that city, can sleep soundly again. Verizon Communications says it’s not all that interested in Canada after all. It won’t be buying up spectrum or small failing wireless companies in the near future. Canadians can go back to a safe, secure world in which people have the “right” kind of competition: a choice between three large carriers, all offering similar products. The future is safe.

»fullcomment.nationalpost.com/201···erience/

--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
said by elwoodblues:

Pundits are saying that now that Verzion has backed off, expect prices to rise.

Analysts are saying (those that benefit the most from a healthy Robellus) that they are "sensitive" to the consumers wallets and won't raise prices (like bloody hell).

They know that the new entrants don't have the money to buy spectrum, and come next year will probably sell themselves to the Robellus.

»business.financialpost.com/2013/···e-hikes/

Kelly McParland in the National Post today is absolutely hilarious.

Moncton is saved. “Amanda,” the “call trainer” from that city, can sleep soundly again. Verizon Communications says it’s not all that interested in Canada after all. It won’t be buying up spectrum or small failing wireless companies in the near future. Canadians can go back to a safe, secure world in which people have the “right” kind of competition: a choice between three large carriers, all offering similar products. The future is safe.

»fullcomment.nationalpost.com/201···erience/

That article lost all credibility to me when they claimed that Verizon got the carriers scared and forced them to introduce extremely expensive share options modeled after Verizon's offerings.

One, Rogers and Bell both had options to share data across multiple devices and the pricing for adding devices like tablets have not changed. Telus was the only holdout until recently and I'm inclined to believe that they introduced the option to share data amongst multiple devices based on competitive pressure from Bell and Rogers. Verizon wasn't even in the picture at that time.

Second, prices have gone up, not down, and the price hikes and plan changes came into effect well before the first rumors about Verizon surfaced.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
First and foremost who said prices went down? Robellus is raping consumers you and I both know that, the cost of providing service (even with a modest profit) vs what they charge out so distorted it's not funny.

Now they're going to spend billions of dollars on the 700mhz frequency, and we'll see a "700mhz spectrum recovery fee" on our bills very soon.
--

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to I_H8_Spam
said by I_H8_Spam:

So this got me thinking, what if this Verizon interest story was created by the vertically integrated media conglomerates to push the agenda of said conglomerates....

You mean the agenda of RAISING their prices ?

NEVVVERRR !

But we may see a new fee on/in our bills :

AVACF (Anti-Verizon Ad Campaign Fee)

We may not SEE it, but it will be covered by whatever hikes....

Any excuse to gouge us deeper !

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to elitefx
I'll tell you how bad it is.

NFL season starts tomorrow,but for the life of me couldn't find the NFL app in the playstore. I cheated, got it somewhere else put it in my dropbox and installed it that way.

When I went to watch vidoes/highlights, I needed a "BELL Token" to do so.

WTF, they're controlling my football now?
--

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

First and foremost who said prices went down? Robellus is raping consumers you and I both know that, the cost of providing service (even with a modest profit) vs what they charge out so distorted it's not funny.

Now they're going to spend billions of dollars on the 700mhz frequency, and we'll see a "700mhz spectrum recovery fee" on our bills very soon.

From the article you posted

"Thanks Verizon. Even just clearing your throat got us better prices for data sharing,' said Grant, managing director at the SeaBoard Group.'"

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Data sharing has always been there IIRC

SeaBoard Group is a leading technology research and strategy consulting company. IN otherwords we're shils for Robellus.