A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 recommendations

NSA Flix: Netflix for Private Information (funny)

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQHTROGrDXY

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

That was hilarious!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

HAHA that was great.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Hmm, not what I expected. I would think "NSA Flix" would stream stuff from your home to the NSA not the other way round. Same with the DVD's.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by StuartMW:

Hmm, not what I expected. I would think "NSA Flix" would stream stuff from your home to the NSA not the other way round. Same with the DVD's.

Maybe that is in the future.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

Actually I'm pretty sure that is what is going on right now
--

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

(Recycled meme)

In America, streaming video watches you!

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

Actually I'm pretty sure that is what is going on right now

Like everything else even right now and here on (DSL/B)R!

Hi NSA! How are you today on a fine Sunday morning? Did you find any juicy data so far for today? :P

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

1 recommendation

Yup. And every man and his dog is trying to get what the NSA has. That is being resisted right now but for how long?

quote:
The National Security Agency's dominant role as the nation's spy warehouse has spurred frequent tensions and turf fights with other federal intelligence agencies that want to use its surveillance tools for their own investigations, officials say.
Other Agencies Clamor for Data N.S.A. Compiles

But don't worry that data will never be used except to

• Protect us from terrorists.

• Protect the children.

On the other hand perhaps not.
--

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

I would think "NSA Flix" would stream stuff from your home to the NSA not the other way round. ...

It's a revenue enhancement project to fund more surveillance technology. Every 1-800-LAW-FIRM divorce lawyer and ambulance chaser is getting an account.

Edit - I see by your last post that mission creep to file sharing and pot dealers is being proposed. Next (I'm not kidding here) I foresee the license plate scanning data compiled by local cops will be integrated with the NSA data and shared with RIAA, civil lawyers and even bill collectors.

--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

said by EGeezer:

Every 1-800-LAW-FIRM divorce lawyer and ambulance chaser is getting an account.

Oh yeah! Divorce lawyers would just love to get a hold of all those phone records, emails, texts, tweets etc. They'd make a killing.

. o O (Who's this Carlos Danger person and why are they tweeting you naked pics?")
--

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to antdude

The Science Behind the Netflix Algorithms That Decide What You’ll Watch Next

quote:
If you liked 1960s Star Trek, the first non-Trek title that Netflix is likely to suggest to you is the original Mission: Impossible series (the one with the cool Lalo Schifrin soundtrack). Streaming the latest Doctor Who is likely to net you the supernatural TV drama Being Human (the UK version). Watch From Dusk Till Dawn and 300 and say hello to a new row on your homepage: Visually Striking Violent Action & Adventure. Trying to understand the invisible array of algorithms that power your Netflix suggestions has long been a favorite sport, but what’s actually going on in that galaxy of big data, those billions and billions of ratings stars? Turns out there are 800 Netflix engineers working behind the scenes at their Silicon Valley HQ. The company estimates that 75 percent of viewer activity is driven by recommendation. This summer it’s unveiling a profile feature enabling family members to demarcate their preferences with individual queues. In March the company shipped its 4 billionth DVD, but in the first quarter of 2013 alone, it streamed more than 4 billion hours. We spoke with Netflix’s recommendation dynamos—Carlos Gomez-Uribe, VP of product innovation and personalization algorithms (right), and Xavier Amatriain, engineering director—about how they control what you watch.
»www.wired.com/underwire/2013/08/···gorithm/

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to StuartMW

... If the next mayoral debate doesn't kick off with Weiner jumping out of a clown car and sticking his head (or other body part) inside a lion's gaping maw, we're moving to Atlantic City. ...

Source: »gothamist.com/2013/07/24/carlos_···artn.php

I must admit, the guy picked someone pretty good looking to sext with ...
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to siljaline

Those algorithms are wrong. I've never joined Netflix because it is nigh onto impossible to easily and quickly find what I want to see. I don't want to watch ANY movies. I want to watch back episodes of particular TV shows. I want to watch all of maybe 5 years of a particular drama in correct order starting with the first year. I always know EXACTLY what I want to watch (on cable TV or Netflix or Hulu or whatever). I HATE having a friend over who wants to flip aimlessly through a bunch of TV channels. That drives me nuts. You should know when the shows are on that you want to see and Netflix, for older episodes, or shows dropped after several successful seasons on TV, should be easy to find. If I did want to watch a movie on Netflix, I would know already exactly what movie I wanted to see and exactly when I would want to view it. I simply don't understand aimless wandering on a site like Netflix (or cable TV) or depending or some algorithm to decide for me what I want to watch! GEEZ....that is AWFUL. That is a complete waste of my time. I don't have the patience for it either.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

3 edits

I've never joined Netflix because it is nigh onto impossible to easily and quickly find what I want to see.

Indeed. I found it close to impossible to (1) type "Mad Men" into the Netflix search box, and (2) click "add to instant queue" on the top selection to add all-episodes-ever to my viewing queue. It took perhaps 20 seconds. What a ridiculously complicated system!

You probably don't have the search box if you're not a member (at least I didn't see it when I logged out), but this is another example of you having heated opinions on something you know little about.

Those algorithms are wrong.

(...) or depending or some algorithm to decide for me what I want to watch

It doesn't "decide". It merely makes suggestions, which you are free to ignore or not. I tend to take no notice, since having selected 5 seasons of Mad Men, for example, I don't have any free watching time for the next few months, but the suggestions don't seem too far off. You can tune the algorithm by giving a rating to something you've just watched.

How would a non-Netflix-user know the algorithms are "wrong"?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Netflix even auto selects the next episode in a series when you finish one. Gives you a pop-up if you want to start it when current episode you're watching finishes. You can watch an entire series seeing the menu once.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to dave

said by dave:

You probably don't have the search box if you're not a member (at least I didn't see it when I logged out), but this is another example of you having heated opinions on something you know little about.

No, I don't have a search box. With Hulu Plus, I could search withOUT having to first become a member. The fact that is not possible with Netflix says volumes about them. Yeah, you get the first month free with Netflix but that comes at a very high cost. Not knowing BEFORE I join whether they have the TV shows I want to see or not is a deal breaker. Hulu Plus doesn't give you a free month but you can (or could - I haven't searched them in months) search to see if they have what you want before you join. That is how Netflix should be. When I searched third party sites that attempt to index what Netflix has, TV shows were very spotty and the advice was to get Hulu Plus instead if you wanted TV shows not movies. Those sites said Netflix's search is horrible and very unreliable....that was maybe six months ago so I don't know if that is case today.

I'm not falling for Netflix's trap. I would prefer to pay for the first month so I could see before joining if they have the content I want. I don't want to give them personal information and join so I then can see if they have what I am looking for. I might cancel 30 minutes after I joined but Netflix has information about me that they will not delete for 6 months or longer and they will profit from that information I had to give them to join for 30 minutes just to see if they had the content I want. With Hulu Plus, I could even watch shows before joining (of course, there were a ton of ads but I could see how the streaming would be and this was when I still had 10/1 and wasn't sure how streaming would be).

The third party sites I visited that try to index Netflix showed big gaps in the years of the shows I wanted to see and no episodes from one show ...but Hulu Plus wasn't able to show it either because of copyright law they said...again, this was six or more months ago...they might have it now.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson