uniqs

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 edit

StuartMW

Premium Member

Synch'ed faster than service!

I've had CenturyLink 12Mbps service (12122/896) for about 18 months, This morning I did a speed test and my line is faster! Looked in my modem and it's now synch'ed at 15869/889. Guess I'll enjoy it as long as it lasts
Expand your moderator at work
StuartMW

2 edits

StuartMW

Premium Member

Re: Synch'ed faster than service!

FYI just as a test I rebooted my modem and got the same synch rate. Evidently CenturyLink made a change in my area.

PS: Checked my CenturyLink "My Account" and my service is listed as 12Mbps. In fact that's the highest choice.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to StuartMW

MVM

to StuartMW
What is your sync rate?

It is possible that that CL is giving you more bandwidth so that you can reach your advertised rate.

A lot of speed tests lie. Try some other ones and see how they compare.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Irish Shark:

What is your sync rate?

It's clearly stated in my first post.
said by Irish Shark:

It is possible that that CL is giving you more bandwidth so that you can reach your advertised rate.

I thought of that too. Possible I guess but advertised rates are for raw line throughput not internet download speeds. My download rate has been increased by about 30%.
said by Irish Shark:

Yup. Thanks for the noob advice The rate I'm getting are consistently at those in the image from multiple sites.

Boss302_1970
join:2009-12-11

Boss302_1970 to StuartMW

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

I've had CenturyLink 12Mbps service (12122/896) for about 18 months, This morning I did a speed test and my line is faster! Looked in my modem and it's now synch'ed at 15869/889. Guess I'll enjoy it as long as it lasts

take it while you can, it could change back!

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 edit

StuartMW

Premium Member

Perhaps this has something to do with my speed increase.

»Time Warner Cable Bumping Speeds Slightly [19] comments

MTBikerChris
Premium Member
join:2001-08-28
Erie, CO

MTBikerChris to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
(12122/896) Wow did not know they still had sup par uploads( less them 1 Mag) in this time of day !

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to StuartMW

MVM

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by Irish Shark:

What is your sync rate?

It's clearly stated in my first post.
said by Irish Shark:

I thought of that too. Possible I guess but advertised rates are for raw line throughput not internet download speeds. My download rate has been increased by about 30%.
said by Irish Shark:

Yup. Thanks for the noob advice The rate I'm getting are consistently at those in the image from multiple sites.

Hey, noob, I know what you posted, but is that then or now?

Do you have any logical explanation?

Get an attitude check before you post.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Irish Shark:

Hey, noob, I know what you posted, but is that then or now?

You really need to read my first post. Old and new synch rates are stated.
quote:
I've had CenturyLink 12Mbps service (12122/896) for about 18 months, This morning I did a speed test and my line is faster! Looked in my modem and it's now synch'ed at 15869/889.

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

You are correct. I either did not read your first post or totally missed it.

I can not explain it. It was right there staring in my face. That is something that I do not do.

Call me a noob on that one.

JuanV
@qwest.net

JuanV to StuartMW

Anon

to StuartMW
I've also have had CenturyLink 7Mbps service (7168/864) for about 18 months, This morning I did a speed test and my line is faster as well! Looked in my modem and it's now synched at 9214/892. Guess I'll enjoy it as long as it lasts

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 edit

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by JuanV :

...my line is faster as well!

Thank you for posting. I was interested to see if anyone else saw a change. Evidently it was an intentional change. Perhaps CL is following other ISP's.

»Time Warner Cable Bumping Speeds Slightly [19] comments
pejacoby
join:2009-02-03
Saint Paul, MN

pejacoby to StuartMW

to StuartMW
Here in MN I'm trained just under my 20MB theoretical maximum, pretty much the same as always. After checking my Actiontec PK5000 I did notice the time was off (as usual) by several days. A quick reboot fixed that but brought no extra speed :-(

chd176
join:2003-01-10
Winfield, AL
·CenturyLink

chd176 to StuartMW

to StuartMW
Still the same here, although I did sweet talk support into raising my sync level when I first signed up for 10 MB so that may be why lol I'm currently synced at 12799/894. When I first signed up it was around 11000/894 but mine has been changed a long time ago after I got someone on the phone to try to raise it for me.
kiknwing
join:2010-12-13
Ogden, UT

kiknwing to StuartMW

to StuartMW
My modem retrained last night and now I'm synced at 45 instead of 40.
colorbars
join:2003-03-20
USA

colorbars to StuartMW

to StuartMW
Another CL Utah user here. Mine went up as well. Was at 7168kbps down and upload varies between 890 and 896, currently at 9214/893. I think that justifies the $1 price increase.

They might want to point that out to users, especially those that were pissed at the additional fee.
brugar
join:2002-09-16
Las Vegas, NV

brugar

Embarq over provisioned their DSL lines to compensate for networking overhead and deliver the advertised speeds. My 10M/768K service has connected at 11.774M/984K for years. Perhaps the former Qwest territories are finally catching up.
PhoneDude9
join:2013-05-03
Houston, TX

PhoneDude9

said by brugar:

Embarq over provisioned their DSL lines to compensate for networking overhead and deliver the advertised speeds.

This is currently the CLNK policy. IIRC the over provisioning number is 18.5% over purchased speed.

LtnKreationz
Premium Member
join:2009-11-11
Mesa, AZ

LtnKreationz

Premium Member

I'm in Mesa, AZ and noticed my sync rate also went from 40 to 45.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152

Did your upload speed go up any? I'm curious as in Phoenix mine has not changed yet (although might not since i'm waiting for a tech to come out tomorrow to install pair-bonded VDSL2)
kiknwing
join:2010-12-13
Ogden, UT

kiknwing

My modem retrained again last night and now I'm at 50.

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to StuartMW

MVM

to StuartMW
Any one in Vegas see any large increase?

SkOrPn7
join:2006-02-15
Tijeras, NM

SkOrPn7 to StuartMW

to StuartMW
Over the weekend ours went from 40 to 50.111. Speed test have been extremely consistent at 37 mbps, and 3.75 up. We did not ask for a upgrade, so I hope they are not going to charge us more, lol...

I noticed it because on Saturday I was testing a new computers Wireless N adapter for my little brother when the speed test hit nearly 46 mbps (not sure how that can be on a USB 2.0 Adapter though) and I was thinking to myself "what a lie" haha. However, when I came back to my wired computer I hit nearly 48. Sure wish CenturyLink would release an official press conference prior to making changes.
DrEvil
join:2008-08-14
Broomfield, CO

DrEvil to StuartMW

to StuartMW
I have 20/5 and my speeds after the restart are now 26112/5120. I have been able to verify through downloading several big files that I am taking advantage of the higher speeds.
killer2000
join:2006-04-18
Portland, OR

1 edit

killer2000 to StuartMW

to StuartMW
I have Century Link 40/20 with a Q1000 modem. I can also confirm a new speed (50111Kbps / 20128Kbps) two days ago.

Download speeds of 47mb and upload of 17mb

I have had service for about 2.5 years, when it was still called Qwest.

SNR Downstream : 12 dB
SNR Upstream : 22 dB
Attenuation Downstream : 0 dB
Attenuation Upstream : 0 dB
Power Downstream 14.1 dBm
Power Upstream 11.4 dBm

darb
@qwest.net

darb

Anon

mine wont change at all im afraid.. currently synced at 7mb/896k. really wish they would install a closer remote terminal :|

SNR: 5 dB 6 dB
Attenuation: 42 dB 15 dB
Power: 14 dBm 10.4 dBm

djr22
@qwest.net

djr22 to StuartMW

Anon

to StuartMW
Ive been on 3.0/640 for almost 2 years. This morning it syncs every time at 5.1/888. Im on VDSL2 and probably wont get much faster unless they move the RT closer.

dalastone
@embarqhsd.net

dalastone

Anon

y'all are lucky! - I can only get a 6meg here in Vegas, and i'm syncing at 5631. speedtests show 4.3 down.
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve to LtnKreationz

to LtnKreationz
Mine has gone up from 20 to 25!