Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gapmn

join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN
reply to crazyk4952

Re: No more IP changes?

I was getting the same retrain around 5am central time. However, now that I am trained at 26 Mbps ( 20 Mbps service ), I have not seen the retrain.

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
reply to TAZ
said by TAZ :

Linksys router by any chance? I had one running for a bit awhile back and noticed session drops. On my ERL this never happens (I watch the log).

It's an ASUS RT-N66U with Tomato firmware.

TAZ

@qwest.net
reply to crazyk4952
Linksys router by any chance? I had one running for a bit awhile back and noticed session drops. On my ERL this never happens (I watch the log).

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·CircleNet
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
reply to TAZ
said by TAZ :

Your IP would only change if the PPP session is reset. I assume you haven't had any retrains since the speed change (possibly; they may be able to do it without a retrain)?

If you're using the C1000A as your authenticating device, that's probably the problem.

Hmm. Previously, my modem was not retraining its speed, yet its IP would still change periodically.

My router is the authenticating device. My C1000A is in transparent bridging mode.

TAZ

@qwest.net
reply to crazyk4952
Your IP would only change if the PPP session is reset. I assume you haven't had any retrains since the speed change (possibly; they may be able to do it without a retrain)?

If you're using the C1000A as your authenticating device, that's probably the problem.

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
reply to StuartMW
Since my modem is now trained at 50Mbps download, my IP address has not changed. It used to change every day or so (for no apparent reason).

Anyone else notice this?

firedrakes

join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL
reply to crazyk4952

Re: Synch'ed faster than service!

oh yes actiontech are crap 9 times out of ten

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·CircleNet
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
reply to TAZ
said by TAZ :

Just another thing to add to the list of dumb things the C1000A does, I suppose. I still have yet to read anything good about it.

It looks like it's "xdslctl info --show" on that modem, but I found some other threads where that output was posted and the attenuation still shows 0.

I just tried this, and yes, it does still just show 0. Oh well.

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to TAZ
The funny thing is, i was talking to the lead technician for my area when he brought my C2000T, he said that the Technicolor modems actually cost century link about $20 less per unit than the Actiontec does. We were both scratching our heads at that one as the Technicolor modem works 10x better and does not overheat.

TAZ

@qwest.net
reply to crazyk4952
Just another thing to add to the list of dumb things the C1000A does, I suppose. I still have yet to read anything good about it.

It looks like it's "xdslctl info --show" on that modem, but I found some other threads where that output was posted and the attenuation still shows 0.

I have to wonder how it's even profitable to pay $0.02 (figuratively) for a modem and send that to your customers, knowing the modem is going to be a POS. And then it fails or doesn't work in the expected way, and the customer ends up either having a replacement sent (what's that, $6 or $7 in shipping costs?) or even worse for the company, having a tech sent. You'd think they'd see the value in paying a few dollars more for a more solid solution, that would reduce support calls (both phone and in-person) and lower their overall costs. Though I suspect it's like other things in the corporate world... two different departments, they only care about themselves and couldn't care less that the other department's costs will be increasing due to the "savings" in their department.

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·CircleNet
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
reply to TAZ
said by TAZ :

If you ever get an actual attenuation number, you can calculate it from »www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_cal ··· calc.php. Unfortunately, from the stats you posted, the POS modem is reporting it at 0 dB which is bogus (unless the DSLAM happens to be in your front yard :P). Is it a C1000A?

You might be able to get a proper number over telnet.

Yeah, it is a C1000A and it is still showing a 0 dB attenuation. I can telnet into the modem, but I don't know how to view the modem stats though telnet.

TAZ

@qwest.net
reply to crazyk4952
said by crazyk4952:

said by TAZ :

It looks like the 45M is used as a test profile, and if it's stable with that then it goes up to 50M.

Good to know!

Just wanted to clarify - that was speculation on my part so don't take it as absolute truth, but it does match with what has been seen from this and Geo3's thread.

said by crazyk4952:

said by TAZ :

Just wish I was 3000 ft. closer for 40/20!

Yeah, I am really lucky to be close enough to get on the 40/20 tier. I still have not been able to figure out how close I am to the DSLAM.

If you ever get an actual attenuation number, you can calculate it from »www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_cal ··· calc.php. Unfortunately, from the stats you posted, the POS modem is reporting it at 0 dB which is bogus (unless the DSLAM happens to be in your front yard :P). Is it a C1000A?

You might be able to get a proper number over telnet.

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·CircleNet
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
reply to TAZ
said by TAZ :

Nice! I saw you got the errors fixed in the other thread. Is that still the case, and did that solve the hanging/packet loss issue?

I am getting a lot fewer errors. I think the phone line was getting pinched going through the window from the box outside to the DSL modem. The tech replaced it with another green one (the ones that come with the modem) and the errors stopped. Now, they are creeping up a little, since I have closed the cable in the window.

I am going to make my own cable using one with a flatter outer insulation jacket. Hopefully, the wires will be pinched less this way.

This did solve the hanging issue that I was having.

said by TAZ :

It looks like the 45M is used as a test profile, and if it's stable with that then it goes up to 50M.

Good to know!

said by TAZ :

Yeah, I am really lucky to be close enough to get on the 40/20 tier. I still have not been able to figure out how close I am to the DSLAM.

TAZ

@qwest.net
reply to crazyk4952
Nice! I saw you got the errors fixed in the other thread. Is that still the case, and did that solve the hanging/packet loss issue?

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·CircleNet
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP

1 edit
reply to StuartMW
I woke up this morning and found my modem trained at 50.111 Mbps download....

dello

@qwest.net
reply to crazyk4952
is anyone else getting a retrain every morning between 3-4am? anytime this is enabled I get 1 single retrain between 3-4 am. this is beyond annoying.. messes with my router and my TV isn't able to get on the internet sometimes and some other stuff. if i have them reset the line, everything is back to normal for a good 2 months then my line speeds itself up which causes the same loop.. i highly doubt its a stability issue. line doesn't retrain at all till that 3-4AM window.

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
reply to StuartMW
I am now seeing my modem connect at 45/20. Previously I was connecting at 40/20. I am also able to download at 41.8Mbps (instead of about 37Mbps).

Sportsfan

join:2012-03-26
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to former qwest
said by former qwest :

please don't lump Tucson all together. I've had 12 MB for a number of years (and no, i haven't received a "bump up"). where do you live, on the outskirts?

Yes, I live in an area near the city limit where the max available speed is 5 Mb.

TAZ

@qwest.net
reply to Technicholas
said by Technicholas:

I also was not bumped, I subscribe to 12mbps in a old qwest area.

Might want to post your stats. It's possible your line cannot attain the higher speeds.

said by Technicholas:

I am ready to dump Centurylink when I move and get 100mb from mediacom

CL has a 100/12 bonded plan in some areas. You can check for it on the small business site and it can be ordered over the phone for residential (there was a price list posted here awhile back). I'm only mentioning because it's "competition" of some sort, if it's available wherever you're moving, and hey - if it happens to be available from both places, call them both and see what kind of deals you get from both.

Technicholas
Premium
join:2010-11-11
Winterset, IA
reply to StuartMW
I also was not bumped, I subscribe to 12mbps in a old qwest area.

I am ready to dump Centurylink when I move and get 100mb from mediacom

former qwest

@qwest.net
reply to Sportsfan
please don't lump Tucson all together. I've had 12 MB for a number of years (and no, i haven't received a "bump up"). where do you live, on the outskirts?

Sportsfan

join:2012-03-26
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to StuartMW
Faster speeds have finally come to Tucson! Paying for nominal 1.5 MB (effective speed 1.25), but modem began syncing at 2272 yesterday, almost a 50% improvement

TheMayor

join:2002-05-09
reply to learo2000GT
Ok you need to clarify.. Did the rep say that you were only paying for (lets say) 20 Mbps, but saw your line was receiving 40 & lowered it ?

If you know you ordered 40 & was paying for 40, I would call them back, as there might be a disconnect between the order & the department that actually connects your line.

learo2000GT

@qwest.net
reply to D Smoke
I called tech support for a seperet issue and thanked them for the upgrade from 40 to 50 and the tech said u are not paying 40 and dropped me down. I complained and they did nothing.

D Smoke

join:2002-06-14
Minneapolis, MN
reply to StuartMW

Looks like they bumped mine as well. CenturyLink has been great in my area. Wish they upload would get bumped but can't complain about the extra speed. Seems like they are really trying to step up there game.

chd176

join:2003-01-10
Winfield, AL
reply to StuartMW
Has anyone outside of a qwest area received an increased sync rate? Like former GTE/Verizon/CenturyTel areas? Seems this is strictly for former qwest areas based on the replies.
--
10,000/768 CenturyTel PPPoE DSL line (for real this time)

TheMayor

join:2002-05-09
reply to dello
Your connection problem is probably due to your SNR being very low. Anyway you can plug the modem into the NID (box outside of the house) or if you cannot, then into the first jack wired from the outside & see if the SNR rises?

I had a low SNR for upload & it locked in at a lower rate, until I tried another jack & it went back to normal

dello

@qwest.net
reply to StuartMW
Well, It seems this change finally made it my way. I pay for 7mbps (fastest avail), modem retrained, synced @ 8mbps.. roughly 12 hours later modem retrained itself and now its synced at 6.4mbps, several reboots cause it to sync between 6.1-6.4mbps.. what have they done... Is there any way to opt out of this? Having a stable line is much better than a measly 1mbps

Also, I'm on VDSL2 and let it be known I had very few disconnects @ 7mbps.. Even with these crappy line stats.

Line stats are usually the same, with SNR downstream bouncing between 6 and 5db, but usually stays at 6
Levels Downstream Upstream
SNR: 6 dB 6 dB
Attenuation: 42 dB 15 dB
Power: 13.5 dBm 10.4 dBm

dello

@qwest.net
reply to neilsh
Does this speed increase only apply to those with the fastest speed available? Minus those with 1.5mbps (assuming these people are stuck on older ADSL tech)

verta

join:2007-05-29
Tallahassee, FL
reply to neilsh
Boy, I would really, really like a free speed upgrade. Even just a small one. But it hasn't happened yet. I don't need a lot of bandwidth although sometimes Netflix does buffer. I could almost just use my phone for my Internet needs. Almost!