share rss forum feed

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1
reply to battleop

Re: [Tech Ops] Is there anyway to put live network status on web

said by battleop:

And a way for your competitor(s) to keep records of you outages as well.

Agreed. One should not air their dirty laundry in public.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

battleop

join:2005-09-28
EPB is well known for doing this. I know that they were going around telling the customers of one of the smaller ISPs in town that they were were going out of business because they had discontinued one of their product lines.

Never give your competition's sales people any ammo.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to LLigetfa
Disagree.

The ISP I used to work for lists all of their planned and unplanned outages on their site in full public view. If I was running an ISP I would be doing the same.

Most people actually appreciate openness from their providers.

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL
said by TomS_:

Disagree.

The ISP I used to work for lists all of their planned and unplanned outages on their site in full public view. If I was running an ISP I would be doing the same.

Most people actually appreciate openness from their providers.

Yes they do appreciate it. If it's a huge deal for any one to let their competitors see outages, just set your web host to allow only your IP addresses and maybe a few management ones. Pretty simple fix
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1
said by gunther_01:

If it's a huge deal for any one to let their competitors see outages, just set your web host to allow only your IP addresses and maybe a few management ones. Pretty simple fix

If only visible from inside your network, then when the network is down, they would not be able to access. I would assume your subs would be using an alternate (cellphone) provider to check.

I agree with notifying for planned outages and unplanned only if they are for extended times.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL
Very True. Or sometimes we have neighbors help neighbors and such. One could also password protect the directory with a very simple/basic username and password for their customers use.
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net