kudos:5

1 edit

1 recommendation

Netgear GS 108 switch for under $30

Saw this on slick deals, thought some Uverse members might be interested:
»slickdeals.net/f/6191104-Netgear···-28-99AR

Direct link to Newegg (one in SD forum is blocked):
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33122111

Don't forget the promo code to take $8 off EMCXMXV45 and after the rebate you should be around $30 for it.
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

The Judd Family site!

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4

Re: Netgear GS 108 switch for

Can this one handle the multicast traffic correctly?

tr6scott

join:2002-03-23
Oxford, MI

Yes, this is what AT&T installs when they do ethernet installs.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

What Paralel defines as correctly may not be limited to working. He may be concerned that traffic is not minimized on the LAN. While most people might not care, some people apparently do.

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

I think a lot of people would care if their network was getting flooded with multicast traffic.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·ViaTalk
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Paralel

I think what you are trying to say is "Does this switch do IGMP snooping and only send multicast traffic to the ports that have clients joined to a particular multicast group?" I doubt it does because it is an unmanaged switch. It is not mentioned anywhere in the data sheet.

It does have an 8Gig bi-directional fabric, so it is non-blocking when all ports are active. It is a store and forward switch. 192K buffer per port and 30microsec latency at 10Meg, 6microsec latency at 100Meg and 4 microsec latency at Gig. It would probably perform 50-75% faster if it did cut-through. It supports 4000 MAC addresses per port, supports jumbo frames up to 9,720 bytes and does say it honors 802.1p and DSCP marking. The question is what the queue scheme is, since it is not configurable.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

1 recommendation

reply to doubleohwhat

said by doubleohwhat:

I think a lot of people would care if their network was getting flooded with multicast traffic.

I would debate that but regardless if your looking for something that matches what AT&T installs this price is not bad. A lot of other third party switches can choke or freeze up.
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

The Judd Family site!