Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to dave

Premium Member

to dave

Re: Is Microsoft liable for security flaws in Windows?

There are times I think a ground up restart is needed, but being compatible kinda kills that. I am guessing that is why Windows is a terrible tangle of legacy code, A fully new kernal and OS would be great but it would break everything. And in an age where one of the top questions from someone buying a new computer at bestbuy is "Will my printer from 1998 work with this?" well things can get ugly.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

I had some hope for BeOS as a ground up OS, but they forgot developers and it faded away into the dark deeps.

Blake
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
You know the next version of Windows that attempts to start at a new base will be hated due to lack of driver, and software support... People hated Vista for the wrong reasons, but it finally started getting 64-bit drivers coming from developers where xp 64-bit support was pathetic. We'll just get more of that unfortunately.

There needs to be something in the works, or legacy code exploits will be a problem for a long time.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

I agree they need to eventually clean out the "code fridge" or more and more exploits will be found as newer versions derived from the previous kernel keep paving over previous holes.

In some respects it reminds me of road repairs. The state saves money by repaving every few years, But rarely steps back and says "Maybe we should fix the pothole issue once and for all by ripping up the whole thing and starting over."
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Sure, but since the desktop PC market is dwindling, I suppose any new desktop PC operating system would not come to maturity until after there was no need for it.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

said by dave:

Sure, but since the desktop PC market is dwindling, I suppose any new desktop PC operating system would not come to maturity until after there was no need for it.

Not to say tablets, phones and other mobile devices are bullet proof, its the nature of the game in that it wildly favors hackers no matter what the platform.

Blake

Maven
Premium Member
join:2002-03-12
Canada

Maven to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

There needs to be something in the works, or legacy code exploits will be a problem for a long time.

Would you say that problem exists in Linux? Or is it just a Windows thing?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Why would linux be immune from this? We've just been focusing on windows where NT has been around for quite a long time, even if it has had to at least be ported, and parts rewritten as they moved to 32-bit and 64-bit. There's just so many distros of linux, but some are based on the same kernels.