spc
Search similar:

uniqs
longgone
join:2000-12-30
Culloden, WV

longgone

Charleston WV Area Internet Issues Continues

Suddenlink has been very reliable for several months, but beginning Wednesday the internet has been extremely erratic and very slow. I can only hope that it might be some type of effect related leading up to finally getting those long overdue upgrades implemented into the old system.

dhudson1984
join:2008-01-04
Charleston, WV

dhudson1984

I live just outside of Charleston to the East. Suddenlink has always been rock solid for the years we've had it. Only exceptions have been a couple of storm related outages and down for maintenance in the late night/early morning hours. PM or Email SDL L3Tech here on the forums. He'll get down to the issue it as soon as he can! Be sure to run Ping Plotter for 24 hours and go ahead and send him the report from it.
longgone
Culloden, WV

longgone

Thanks dhuson1984.

You are so correct about who to contact, but I did not do that in this instance because I'd been phoning into SL since Wednesday about the day-time Internet problems, so after calling in, and after the usual verification my telephone number and street number location and what service (Internet) support was I calling in for, then next I would hear an automated recording update announcing that there are Internet service interruptions for some in Charleston and some surrounding named locations, an apology, and an announcement that technicians are working to restore services from the problem asap. Thank you and goodbye. So phoned in Friday afternoon and received another "automated update message", and again about some service interruptions for Charleston, St Albans, Pinch and some other different and more places than before. My service comes out of Charleston and St Albans. But who knows for sure about anything? The Internet was erratic again this Saturday afternoon, but fortunately, it is stable for now, and has been in the late evening and early night-time hours, and that is something of a switch for sure. So it goes.
dhudson1984
Charleston, WV

dhudson1984 to longgone

to longgone
That's weird. I still haven't had any issues here so far. It's hard to tell what's going on... surely they couldn't be doing any kind of upgrades or installing newer equipment for Docsis 3.1 just yet. I would go ahead and download ping plotter and let it run for 24 hours sometime this weekend if it continues. Save the file and send it to SDL L3Tech explaining your issue. He'll look into it and maybe fix it on his end. If it's not possible, he'll get with the local higher level techs at the Headend to solve the issue.

theclarks1
@suddenlink.net

theclarks1

Anon

Im having issues with the quality and latency, they did a reprovision, but still looks like im getting about 65% packet loss from the speakeasy site to Chicago.
dhudson1984
Charleston, WV

dhudson1984 to longgone

to longgone
Do the above if the issue continues. They will get on it asap!

f1rstclass
join:2005-05-04
Narrows, VA

f1rstclass to dhudson1984

to dhudson1984
I downloaded the free version of ping plotter. Do I have to be manully working on the computer or can I download it and let it run and let it do its thing on its own.

I contacted SL and, like I thought, they told me everything was ok. Yeah, right.

Suppose to have a tech coming out Sat. to inform me all is good. Same run around each and every time.

If they want to spend gas to come out and tell me everything ok, so be it.
dhudson1984
Charleston, WV

dhudson1984 to longgone

to longgone
It should be ok to let it run and do what you have to do. Calling them and having the local techs come out may not fix whatever issue that's causing your problem. They can't diagnose everything down to the "T" if it's a routing issue in or behind the plant. That's where the great people like SDL L3Tech come into play with resolving whatever issue it is that your normal local lower level tech can't fix. I wish more people knew about how to get in touch with him and that they had more people like him that people could go to!

f1rstclass
join:2005-05-04
Narrows, VA

f1rstclass to longgone

to longgone
I know most who are experiencing problems are in the Charleston WV area but our internet comes out of Beckley.

Not only is it affecting internet, but phone also.

Additionally, does anyone experience audio dropouts, specifically on the HD feeds? Video stays but audio drops out and the picture pixels.

Just wondering if anyone else having these issues like we are. I can attest that it isn't just me, as others in the area are having problems also.
SDLshannon
join:2013-02-22

SDLshannon

Hi f1srclass- Shannon with Suddenlink here. I would like to research the issue you are describing further. Can you email me at shannon-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com? Thank you!
longgone
Culloden, WV

longgone

The constantly erratic internet issues still continues on the 50/3 since last Wednesday, along with still hearing those "automated update messages" about Internet service interruptions in Charleston, St. Albans and vicinity anytime I phone SL. A WV Call Center CSR informed me on Friday evening, that he couldn't find anything related to any SL service interruptions, or even anything about those automated service update messages I'd informed him of me hearing whenever I would phone SL. Well, the Internet suddenly became normal again in the midst of just discussing it all with the CSR, and it remained solid the remainder of the night, as late evening and during the night it actually has been very stable... so far. Same thing occurs even with different computers and Operating Systems, also with and without a router.

The Arris Touchstone D3 Modem Power and SRN look just fine, and there are 5 million and 9 million "corrected" and "uncorrectables" respectively on one of the four channels, but the Log does "only" show several "Lost MDD Timeouts" and "RCS Partial Service", which don't ever recall seeing before. so does anyone know what any of the modem info might indicate?

longgone

longgone

The latest SL telephone "service update message" at 6:40pm indicates that the Internet service problems are now reported as narrowed down to a closer proximity in Milton, Ona and surrounding areas. And so it goes.

I guess that modem log "RCS Partial Service" means exactly that.
dhudson1984
Charleston, WV

dhudson1984 to longgone

to longgone
Hang in there guys. Get with either SDLShannon above or SDL L3Tech to look further into your issues!
dhudson1984

dhudson1984 to longgone

to longgone
This is my speedtest. I have the 30/2 package and it's always solid like this all throughout the day.
longgone
Culloden, WV

2 edits

longgone

Does anyone have any comments about Downstream channel 4 having a lower SNR of 31 dB compared to the 37 dB on the other three channels, also about the 4th receiving a flood of Corrected and Uncorrectables very soon after a FEC Reset?

Edit: Channel 4 SNR is constantly fluctuating between 28 - 33 dB within seconds.

Downstream
DCID Freq Power SNR Modulation Octets Correcteds Uncorrectables

Downstream 1 18 729.00 MHz -0.30 dBmV 37.94 dB 256QAM 496142108 0 0

Downstream 2 17 723.00 MHz 0.57 dBmV 37.64 dB 256QAM 325760012 0 0

Downstream 3 19 735.00 MHz -0.10 dBmV 37.36 dB 256QAM 262636671 0 0

Downstream 4 20 741.00 MHz -0.11 dBmV 31.14 dB 256QAM 462764173 2532920 50010

Upstream
UCID Freq Power Channel Type Symbol Rate Modulation
Upstream 1 1 32.00 MHz 43.50 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA) 5120 kSym/s 64QAM

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

That particular frequency might be getting interference
longgone
Culloden, WV

longgone

Hope this is an indication of a return to better days.

longgone

1 edit

longgone

Click for full size
Oh No, those very erratic slow speeds did return again today, and now the D3 Arris Modem status indicates No more 4 Downstream Channel Bonding, so maybe it dropped to like a D2, because of the ongoing performance.
dhudson1984
Charleston, WV

dhudson1984 to longgone

to longgone
Have you gotten in touch with SDL L3Tech here on the forum yet? If not, why are you still complaining? PM or email him »/profi ··· /1796447 so he can track down your problem!!
longgone
Culloden, WV

2 edits

longgone

said by dhudson1984:

Have you gotten in touch with SDL L3Tech here on the forum yet? If not, why are you still complaining? PM or email him »/profi ··· /1796447 so he can track down your problem!!

Hi.
Thanks a lot, as a service tech visit is scheduled for Thursday afternoon.

Yes, there seems to be problem in the local neighborhood, but I was slow to react and seek some technical support, even after your initial post, because whenever I'd phoned into SL each day for the last week, then I'd always hear the SL service update about some maybe experiencing service interruptions in the area, so I just continued to think based on past experiences of similar service announcements and performance, and those service interruption announcements also continued each day after your initial post, so I just thought my problems were probably related to those area service interruptions, and even on Wednesday the update indicated there was service interruptions in the Milton area, and my own town, so now with also a determined problem somewhere in my local neighbor, that still needs to be found, and after hearing all those everyday SL phone announcements about their technicians are working to restore internet services in the area, and all of the very erratic Internet performance, then I'm just hoping for a quick resolve.
dhudson1984
Charleston, WV

dhudson1984 to longgone

to longgone
It shouldn't be taking that long what ever it is. Just get in touch with SDL L3Tech and he'll be able to tell you more about what is going on.
longgone
Culloden, WV

3 edits

longgone

said by dhudson1984:

It shouldn't be taking that long what ever it is. Just get in touch with SDL L3Tech and he'll be able to tell you more about what is going on.

Well. it is... even taking a longer time my friend.

I was hesitant on following up on here just yet, at least until things get hopefully resolved, as I didn't want to appear in some ways like I was continuing on with more complaining, but here you go with just a bit of information.

A tech came here on Thursday and was shown several times some very pertinent, specific, substantial information that had been technically gathered by SDL L3Tech, and indicating that the Internet performance issues are a part of a very real problem in my local neighborhood and not the node, but the service tech really couldn't or wouldn't do anything related to SDL L3techs information, as he didn't even have a replacement modem for that simple comparison check, as he had earlier checked my signal before coming here with some tool on his iPhone, and said everything was good and strong with no problems indicated anywhere. He phoned in to a staff member, and indicated the staff person was not really one of the technical assistance persons, but just staff, but was really up on the Internet, so the staff person checked into, I suppose by maybe something like that infamous "Bandwidth Usage Tool", on some of the various modem bandwidth usages located on my street, and after some of those usage findings, he then seemed to indicate that part of my problems was probably related to the fact that a neighbor down the street was constantly using up very large amounts of bandwidth, and only yesterday used 80 GB for that one day. The tech also had the modem reproed, and just pulled and replugged some of my internal hardware cables a couple times, and sometimes it would work, but it would never stick, as the speeds just returned to rapidly slowing down and all that constant fluctuating, even emphsized that maybe Tivo mini MoCA adapter could be a possible problem, so after it came back up again another time after reversing a POE filter related to the MoCA, he then decided to leave with the internet back to speed again, and indicated that was all he could do, but if the issues returned, just phone in for another service call, and he also mentioned he would send a report further on up, Well, I contacted SDL L3Tech about the tech visit experience, and although the Internet was working when the technician left, it did not stick for very long, and just like it did several times whenever the tech tried a few things, but the internet performance was and is now... even worse than ever, and remaining so, as there is no night speed recovery anymore either. The test result below is from the short time just after the tech departure of the completed service call. SDL L3Tech noticed that the problem was still there with some very significant packet loss. SDL L3Tech immediately made contact with the local management to get the right persons on the problem.

Lindsey
join:2008-12-16
Gypsy, WV

Lindsey

when I first had my speed problems years ago when first getting suddenlink, It took them nearly 5 years to finally get it mostly right..now its just the spotty crap service.
longgone
Culloden, WV

longgone

said by Lindsey:

when I first had my speed problems years ago when first getting suddenlink, It took them nearly 5 years to finally get it mostly right..now its just the spotty crap service.

I hear you, as about my only exceptionally satisfying experiences with Suddenlink has been the availability of the High-Speed Bandwidth, wherever it is actually there, and all the fantastic technical support efforts made by SDL L3Tech.
dhudson1984
Charleston, WV

dhudson1984 to longgone

to longgone
Good deal. If SDL L3Tech is just now getting with the local higher ups, it may still take a little while to diagnose the actual problem and solve it. It sucks for you guys as whatever the cause is just in your local neighbor hood. Hang in there and keep in contact with them. Sometimes it isn't just a fix that can be completed in a day or over night as your neighbor hood might need to have hardware related upgrades done.
dhudson1984

dhudson1984 to longgone

to longgone
The last one I posted was around 10 P.M. This is from just now after 3 A.M.
dhudson1984

dhudson1984 to longgone

to longgone
See what you can pull from the St. Louis server...
longgone
Culloden, WV

longgone

said by dhudson1984:

See what you can pull from the St. Louis server...

Here we go.

St. Louis is the top and bottom and each test was ran just a few minutes of the other like shown on the image. Thought the test were not even going to connect, and each traveled for a very long time dropping off badly, and probably very indicative of the very extreme packet loss shown on SDL L3's ping test to my modem.

I guess some technician(s) will be here Saturday on another service call and maybe do whatever it takes to fix the local problem.
dhudson1984
Charleston, WV

dhudson1984 to longgone

to longgone
6 P.M. hour.
longgone
Culloden, WV

longgone

Well, after 2 tech visits it remains screwed, but supposed to be a Technician here again this afternoon.