spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jonathan2

join:2011-12-21

Verizon and AT&T

I have an iPhone 4S activated on Verizon, bought it subsidized.
Account is in good standing (and would qualify for unlock request as far as I can tell).
I want to purchase a prepaid $40-60 smartphone plan from AT&T to use for about 2 weeks yearly, with the iPhone 4S. I plan on changing nothing regarding my Verizon plan; I will just keep paying monthly during the temporary switch.

Two separate questions:
1) Is this scenario technologically possible?
2) Is this scenario allowed by Verizon/AT&T policy?

I have already spoken to a real life AT&T rep in a hometown store. He fed me what I believe is false information regarding question #1. I am looking for clarification.

Finally, a less-important 3rd question:
3) If you changed all the instances of "4S" to "5", would that change the situation at all? (Note: I understand that LTE is carrier specific, but I am just talking basic 3G use and talk/text)

wizkid6

join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL

Get the Razr Maxx HD. You won't be dissapointed.

The Moto X and Droid Maxx have basically the same specs but the differences are (compared to the Razr Maxx HD):

quote:
More RAM
S4 Pro (vs S4 Plus)
Bigger screen (on Maxx)

Me, I wouldn't pay $150 more for basically the same phone.

Jonathan2

EDIT: ok you clearly just posted this in the wrong thread...

willzzz

join:2007-05-23
SE MI
reply to Jonathan2

It is technologically possible but you won't get any support from Verizon as you are attempting to switch SIM cards from Verizon's (on the 4S it is used for GSM international roaming provisioning only, it is really a re-badged Vodafone NL SIM card) to AT&T's.

If it is unlocked by Verizon, Verizon by technological restrictions allows it to be used only on foreign GSM networks (no US SIM cards) on the 4S.

To use it with a US SIM card would require jail-breaking or using a custom aftermarket SIM that fools the phone (e.g. Gevey).

If you had the iPhone 5 this would work out of the box no questions asked as Verizon leaves it unlocked for travelers and any carrier including the US. On the iPhone 5 the SIM card is also used for domestic provisioning (CSIM for CDMA USIM for LTE and USIM for CDMA/GSM roaming like AT&T). The only problem MAYBE data if you had a older AT&T SIM card but this can be fixed by manually changing the APN on the iPhone.

AT&T supports selling SIM card only prepaid plans (e.g. GoPhone) at any corporate store.

Please note that even with a Verizon iPhone 5, it does not have AT&T's LTE bands so the best you will get is AT&T HSPA+.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
reply to Jonathan2

You might want to think about getting a cheap phone and pre-pay over AT&T. Then just forward your current phone to it. Don't know if you can live without a smart phone or not, or if this is something that would work for you. Just an option you may not have thought about.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
reply to Jonathan2

You dont need to jailbreak 4S just get gevey sim
Make sure you dont update in itunes for now 6.1.3 is ok to use.

Jonathan2

reply to beck

beck: That is exactly what we did. We've used a pair of cheap phones for 2 years now. It's for the purpose of getting cell service in a remote place. So it would be nice if we could get data too.

willzzz: Thank you so much for your detailed and coherent reply. It's still just so hard to get over how silly these policies are (I buy a phone advertised as able to work on any network, and both major carriers have secret agreements to prevent fair competition). I mean in the end, if I did this, Verizon loses no money and I'm still a loyal everyday customer. (although this lack of coverage has provided plenty reason to switch... AT&T's coverage in the same exact area is very widespread.)

So, if I read you correctly, I could walk into an AT&T store with a Verizon activated iPhone 5 and walk out with an AT&T SIM & 30 days of data? If true, it would just make me even more pissed at the AT&T rep I talked to, because he told me that the US restrictions of the 4S also applied to the 5.
And now my dad (with the 5) has already left for the trip to the Verizon dead zone :\

tdumaine
Premium
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

The 5 on Verizon is LTE, all LTE vzw devices are unlocked on the sim, part of the rules the govt put on the sale of the 700mhz block vzw bought

hughesnet123

join:2012-11-08
reply to Jonathan2

When it comes to phones and computer's it isn't about spec's like in the old days. IN the 90's, the better the spec's the better the computer. Nowadays, it's about the experience and ease to use. I like android phones, but I use an iphone, ipad, and a macbook.

Usually someone with a PC will tell me they can get better spec's than my macbook or my iphone with an android or a PC. And while that's true, their experience on the machine is nothing like mine.

I wouldn't focus on spec's, use the android phone, use the iphone, and get what experience you like the most. At this point, they are all capable of doing pretty much anything you want it to do.

For example, me being a professional photographer I know a lot about camera's. An android user might say he has more megapixels than an iphone 5. While that's true, the sensor in the iphone 5 is almost always better. So, the pictures look better. In the old days megapixels meant something. Today they do not.

That is why you see pro camera's with 21 megapixels that produce images way better than a 41 megapixel camera. Because it isn't about the megapixels.

Apply that to everything.

Jonathan2

reply to Jonathan2

With the introduction of the iPhone 5s, I began contacting Apple and Verizon about whether the unlocked iPhone 5 policy would carry over to the 5s.

It seems like it has not, and the restrictions have returned just like for the 4s.

I even walked into a physical Verizon store and asked about the 5 vs. the 5s, and the rep, who seemed to be the head of the store (hopefully meaning he knew what's up), told me straight up that the iPhone 5 IS NOT unlocked to be used with United States GSM.

Can anyone comment on this situation?

kevnich24

join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

Well I know the verizon iphone 5 is a different model than the att iphone 5. I do know that the iphone 5s are the same model for both att and verizon. They have one LTE chipset that handles all the bands and frequencies for most carriers in the US excluding Sprint. Whether it comes factory unlocked remains to be seen but since Apple has the final rule on what they get, more than likely they will be factory unlocked.

Jonathan2

The 5 has different models, but the difference is only in supported LTE bands, which I don't care about because it's not as widespread anyway and isn't on the Canadian border...

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Jonathan2

said by Jonathan2:

With the introduction of the iPhone 5s, I began contacting Apple and Verizon about whether the unlocked iPhone 5 policy would carry over to the 5s.

It seems like it has not, and the restrictions have returned just like for the 4s.

I even walked into a physical Verizon store and asked about the 5 vs. the 5s, and the rep, who seemed to be the head of the store (hopefully meaning he knew what's up), told me straight up that the iPhone 5 IS NOT unlocked to be used with United States GSM.

Can anyone comment on this situation?

Verizon i5 is unlocked.
They bullshitted you.

willzzz

join:2007-05-23
SE MI
reply to Jonathan2

I need actual confirmation and am waiting on data from here or howardforums before I buy. VZW's actual agreement with the FCC for 700MHz LTE should keep it unlocked.

Never ever trust someone at a sales store because they are low on the latter and just want to sell products.

Remember the 5? Verizon actually confirmed the unlocking out of their corporate offices in New York.

I'm waiting on first hand data and confirmation.

navyson

join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to Jonathan2

I have read it several places that all 4G LTE phones on Verizon come unlocked per agreement with the FCC. They can't be used on other networks here in the US.

However, you can pluck in a GSM card to use when you are overseas.

tdumaine
Premium
Seattle, WA
reply to Jonathan2

The 5S uses Verizon's 700Mhz LTE network. Just like the iphone 5 and ANY VZW LTE DEVICE is SIM UNLOCKED right out of the box.

Ive said it so many times its silly. Doesnt matter if its an iphone, a samsung, or one ya just pooped out, if its LTE 700Mhz block, its UNLOCKED

tdumaine
Premium
Seattle, WA
reply to navyson

said by navyson:

I have read it several places that all 4G LTE phones on Verizon come unlocked per agreement with the FCC. They can't be used on other networks here in the US.

However, you can pluck in a GSM card to use when you are overseas.

Wrong. it can be used on usa carriers too. If not, care to tell me how my Verizon iphone 5 is being used on tmobile?

Jonathan2

reply to willzzz

Just wondering if anyone has heard of any firsthand attempts at USA SIMs in VZW 5s/5c phones.

I ended up speaking with someone on the phone who seemed pretty high up at Apple, but even she had no definite answer. She only said that "as far as I know, nothing has changed."
Reassuring, right?

In any case, I was willing to just buy a 5s anyway and deal with the consequences later, but since there was no stock I will likely wait till the Oct. 5th weekend, when I'm home from school, to get one.

Carl
Premium
join:2004-07-21
Opelousas, LA

said by Jonathan2:

Just wondering if anyone has heard of any firsthand attempts at USA SIMs in VZW 5s/5c phones.

I ended up speaking with someone on the phone who seemed pretty high up at Apple, but even she had no definite answer. She only said that "as far as I know, nothing has changed."
Reassuring, right?

In any case, I was willing to just buy a 5s anyway and deal with the consequences later, but since there was no stock I will likely wait till the Oct. 5th weekend, when I'm home from school, to get one.

Using my AT&T SIM
in my Verizon 5C.

Working just fine on LTE!