share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

Build for overseas family

I am throwing together a build for my family in Cebu, out of parts I've accumulated. Plan on shipping it in the coming months as I finish accumulating parts.

What I have so far:

Mainboard:

Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 DDR2/AM2/AM2+
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13128376

SMPS:

Seventeam 750W modular SMPS, heavily used, active PFC (voltage in Cebu is 220VAC)

RAM:

Don't yet have, want DDR2 667 or 800 @ 2 x 2 GB (anyone selling some, let me know).

Case:

See my case thread here, need something that will fit in a box of 18 x 17 x 28 inches, but that will support a mid range gaming card.

Video card:

A HD 4850 MSI gaming card.

HD:

USED HDs I just bought from a fellow member, a 250 Gig WD and a 500 Gig WD. Think I'll set it up with the 250 Gig for the boot drive and the bigger drive for storage.

OD:

Used IDE based DVD Burner

Keyboard and mouse:

Still need to get, want something cheap but won't easily break, will work for basic gaming.

Wireless:

Have USB thumb network controller.

Monitor:

Planning on her scaring up/buying a used monitor there, something small and cheap since the box has to hold a lot of other things.

CPU:

AMD Heka 710 3 core processor (early Phenom II).

HeatSink/Fan:

Need to get one that has a mounting that will survive the jostling of an over the sea shipment to Cebu, but cool better than a stock cooler and will be easy to clean.

Cables:

Still need IDE, 220 VAC SMPS, and video cables/adapters.

This is the first computer for a 15 year old son and 44 year old mom. They wanted a new laptop and I can't pull that off at this time. The consolation is the thing will play older games ok...

So, I still need a Case, RAM, HS/F, cables, Monitor (buying there), and anything I might have forgotten.

I thank you all.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Guys, I am thinking this cooler would be a good choice:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···35118144

I know the rack style coolers work better, but I don't know if the mounting would survive the jostling during shipment and while at sea.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
said by signmeuptoo:

Guys, I am thinking this cooler would be a good choice:

I know the rack style coolers work better, but I don't know if the mounting would survive the jostling during shipment and while at sea.

Depending on how it's mounted, regular coolers stand up to movement very well.

Case: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···11353006

Edit: I also have some 512 DDR2 RAM sticks you can have, but they are only 512.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
I ordered some nonname 2 x 2 GB off Amazon, the note claims it is PNY lifetime. I thought I had an optical drive, but had to order one too.

So I just need a cooler and keyboard and mouse.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
I would suggest this cooler (or one like it) because the tabs on the first one are tricky to remove (should you have to), and don't keep equal contact across the chip.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···35119179

Keyboard: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···23126307

Mouse: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···S0K74344

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
That's the type I want to avoid because they mount such that they will stress the board and come loose possibly, whereas a flush mount type all aluminum (lightweight) cooler might better survive the shipping:

How do you feel about what I am saying?
--

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Valid points.

As far as the cooler you picked, Zalman has always made good coolers, so it should work nicely. It may not dissipate heat as well as the other type, but it should not be an issue either.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Yeah, normally I'd choose one like you suggested, that is what I have for my Phenom II Deneb.

My kid (feels funny calling a 15 year old a kid, he's so mature) is very excited about this. It kills me I can't do more or better for him, he's such a great guy.

The mainboard or the CPU has eaten RAM when RAM was put in the first bank slot 0. I don't know if it is the CPU Memory controller (on die) or the mainboard. I think the secondary bank is ok. Might be good if I had some sacrificial RAM to test first to see...

Back to the cooler, the one thing I don't like about the Zalman's are with that radial design, the fins will clog fast near the center. Keeping this thing clean is gonna be a challenge. Maybe I'll send him a brush for dust. BIL uses a brush.

That Zalman uses a fluid bearing fan, so should last, but zero reviews...
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo
Ok, I ordered these things, based on discussion:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···S0K74344

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···27151267

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···11119227

and

»www.amazon.com/Memory-Master-PC2···duct_top

That last one is supposedly brand name RAM, we shall see.

All that I have left to get is keyboard and speakers (2.0). Waiting for a deal on them. Also, my funds are about running out.
--

ekiM
Oh Well

join:2001-01-06
/usr/home
reply to signmeuptoo
Keyboard:

»USB Keyboard $4.99 + free S/H
--
"I can't sing, I ain't pretty and my legs are thin."

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Yeah, I saw that, I've got a bad feeling it will break too easily, and I don't like the design/layout of the keys.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by signmeuptoo:

Yeah, I saw that, I've got a bad feeling it will break too easily, and I don't like the design/layout of the keys.

How about the Logitech I posted?

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
That one looks like it has decent quality, but I'm still thinking on it, partly because I've spent so much in the last couple days I need to stop for a couple days and make sure I can make my bills first. sk, do you think that keyboard could hold up to some mild gaming?
--

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by signmeuptoo:

That one looks like it has decent quality, but I'm still thinking on it, partly because I've spent so much in the last couple days I need to stop for a couple days and make sure I can make my bills first. sk, do you think that keyboard could hold up to some mild gaming?

I would say that it most likely would. Logitech makes (or made) the OEM Dell keyboards that we had at the college I once worked for. They took so much abuse from people (imagine that), but we rarely had a failure. For the most part, the biggest problem we had were people popping off the keys and rearranging them.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06

1 recommendation

reply to signmeuptoo
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···11119227
That's a great case and for the price. I'm doing my second rebuild in it and it is still nice.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to sk1939
I've donated, and thrown away many working logitech keyboards. Generally their quality is good, and one that is expensive even had a drink spilled on it to find they designed drainage holes to avoid damage. I will say I have worn off the letters off some of the keys however, and those are even on the expensive ones.

The main reason I got rid of some older keyboards were they used a ps/2 connection, or were an older rf wireless keyboard. As of right now I have two keyboards not in use, and both are logitech.

Their mice of lately have been really low quality however, I bought a couple cheap mouse and keyboard sets to have around, and those mice just were not very durable to normal wear and tear. Even some of their expensive mice have turned out to be crap as of lately.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

1 edit
Ok, I made a dumb mistake earlier. I bid on a mouse keyboard (microsoft) before seeing what the shipping charge is, and won the bid. Shipping is 13 bucks, but the mouse and keyboard were only about 11 bucks.

I'm probably gonna have to wait until next month, but I am looking at speakers, and since the voltage there is 220VAC, the speakers have to be that voltage, OR be USB powered. I'm torn, I see some nice looking speakers for less than 50 bucks, but I don't think I can swing that. She needs dental work next month and this month I already blew my food budget. I may have to settle for USB speakers.

I also have to buy a pot, pan, knife, spoon, and spatula in the next couple months, a few food and personal care items, and then I am DONE, will just have to bum a ride to the drop off location out of town.

I think I may have over extended myself, but at least I have something to show for it. Looks like rice and beans for a while!

UPDATE EDIT:

The case, HS/F, and Optical drive came today. The RAM from Amazon's partner came too, however, IT'S THE WRONG DAMNED MEMORY, they sent me laptop RAM when the product description SAYS "desktop RAM" and show a photo of desktop RAM. So now I have to wait to see if they will accept a claim, and I have to ship the damned stuff back. They didn't even package it well (anti static bag into a manila envelope, no protective packaging. Last time I'm ever dealing with this dealer! I'm waiting to hear a response.

So that cool mouse still has to arrive from TX and the keyboard/mouse from eBay seller, and cables from Monoprice.

The case is nice, though the metal is kinda thin, but good fan mounts, 2 large ones on top, one in the side, and a front and rear. Gonna have to get some fans.

Until I get some RAM, I'll have to wait to build this, darn!

--

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
What OS are you going to run on it? As for the memory, do you have any update on that? If they haven't made good on it, I have some DDR2 800 2x 2GB here I can send you. I'll need your address again though.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
I ordered RAM but the company sent me SODIMMs, and I am trying to get the order cancled. Sending PM.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Oh damnit! I got a lift to the P.O. today to pick up the keyboard and drop off the RAM to be shipped. I told the agent to add confirmation and tracking, but now I realize it appears he didn't do so. I could be out 50 bucks if the dealer denies getting the RAM. Damn it! It I wasn't such a nervous Nelly I wouldn't have messed up and let him not do that.

Anyways, I've been blessed and should have more of the parts I need thanks to you fine people. I am hoping that next month I can pull it together and test it out.
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

reply to JoelC707
UPDATE: IT'S ALIVE!

I am waiting for the replacement to the wrong RAM I was sent by an Amazon 3rd party vendor, they finally honored and shipped, but it may be a few days before it arrives. In the mean time, I yanked the RAM out of my backup system and built the box today.

It Works! Hallelujah!

Thanks to all of you, those of you who advised and those of you that made this possible. I am trying to get a phone call through to my gal so I can tell her the good news, that the system works.

So I'm not going to risk putting the RAM sticks in the first bank first slot, because I still suspect it is bad, but with the RAM in the second bank it seems fine. Gonna leave it running overnight.

5 case fans (you might say that is excessive, but remember, this thing is going to a tropical island with no air conditioning. It's a little loud, but the idea is it is gonna be cool enough to not fail.

So I wanted to ask you guys, what software I should put on this thing for her?

Gonna run Win7 64

So I thought:

Office

Firefox

anti malware (what should I install?)

AV (I get norton with my ISP so I'm gonna use that for now)

what educational stuff for a 15 year old boy and fledgling engineer?

what burner?

what multimedia?

what else?

Use of the computer:

video and audio chatting

Web browsing

document writing

listening to music and watching videos

gaming (older games)

reading ebooks

I don't yet know what else, what do you think?
--

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
Here's what I would use:

Anti-malware (if not included in the AV suite): Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware+Spybot S&D (mainly for the immunization feature)

Burning: CDBurnerXP

Multimedia: VLC

If the PC is going to have internet access, it would probably be a good idea to install remote control software, such as VNC or TeamViewer. I use TightVNC on family PCs and it works pretty well.
--
KI6RIT

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
I never learned how to use VNC, but yes, thanks for mentioning that, that IS a wise one.

I was thinking was there a free encyclopedia?

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1 edit
If you aren't familiar with VNC, then go with TeamViewer. It's free for personal use and makes remote access extremely easy. You don't have to mess around with opening ports in routers, it just works. You can download it from »www.teamviewer.com During install, select the option to "Make this computer available for remote access".

The interwebs have rendered encyclopedia programs superfluous. Check out:

»www.britannica.com/
»www.encyclopedia.com/
»www.worldbook.com/
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
»www.reference.com/

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
Also depending on what data you need:
CIA World Factbook »www.cia.gov/library/publications···actbook/

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to HarryH3
Thank you!

Now one other thing:

I've got 2 120mm fans in the ceiling, 1 in the side window, 1 in the rear, 1 in front of the HDs. They are loud. Now, it gets into the 100's there during the day. On rainy days it cools off a little. So I did need the fans as they have no AC. But I am wondring if any of you have a 5 or 6 fan speed controller for 5.25" bay to sell or if there is a dependable cheap one you can recommend.

The system is really loud (the fans I could afford are some plain Jane Rosewill RFA-120-K Fans.

Secondly, I want to get a cheap LED light strip, a small efficient one, to put in the case. I know it sounds silly, but this is a big deal gift and my 15 year old's pride and joy. I want some cool factor, and lights are cheap. Any recommends?
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

1 edit
Ok, see a controller that might work as it wouldn't increase the box size of the case (it has to fit in the shipping box):

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···11992007

It's cheap, it's simple, it matches the case.

OTOH, this is still a budget build and there are other things I need to budget first (getting a pot and pan and stuff like that for them).

It's just that the thing is loud!

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
One thing you can try doing is undervolting the CPU and chipset. That should reduce heat by a decent amount, allowing the fans to run at a lower speed.
--
KI6RIT

HappyFrappy

join:2000-10-04
North
reply to signmeuptoo
For software I'd still recommend having a hard copy of an encyclopedia as offline is useful(Word Book sells a family edition version for $10 at Staples, $25 for the Deluxe Edition with extra multimedia & educational writing aid tools), Nero/AShampoo Burning Studio can be useful if your family wants to auto-print a CD case booklet for their mix CD/data backups, misc educational CD/DVD stuff can be found for $1-5/ea at Microcenter(Oregon Trail, Amazon Trail, Crosswood puzzles, various "History Themed" stuff, etc) and classic games such as Scrabble, Jeopardy & Wheel of Fortune are good(schools still install those games on their PC/Macs).

Since you're running an AMD based machine the memory controller is part of the CPU, worrying about heat build up of a Southbridge isn't necessary so you could cut the number of fans to three--120mm fans produce enough positive airflow. My old Athlon 64(Socket 754) is still crunching along with two fans, GeForce 6600GT, 2 HDDs, DVDRW & dual floppy drives!
If Dell can build Inspiron/Vostro desktop computers with two fans(rear fan & HSF) and most notebooks I've owned have handled 90 degree temps with 90-100% humidity--modern equipment is fairly resistant. Google released a HDD reliability study of heat has zero influence upon failure rates, I've run internal HDDs with a wimpy/girly 80mm front intake fan to cool 3 HDDs and at 6yrs old they're still running strong without any SMART warnings/errors.

As far as your fan control, you can setup the non-important fans at half-speed via that control panel and slowly raise the speed to find the perfect middle ground of noise & reasonable case temp.
For LED light strips, you could mount Ikea's lighting internally if the PC case is big enough... while you're at it pimp the ride to blink/rumble/bounce like a low rider car to the music being played

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo
So I brought the system over to BIL today and we (actually, mostly he) organized the wiring. There is no wire management to speak of in that case, but we did the best we could.