rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to Stacy

Premium Member

to Stacy

Re: [Internet] TWC speed increase ALL Tiers and Division?

Oh, yeah, see comment about PowerBoost "gone" now. I was commenting on the current state of affairs and not what used to be, other than the upload rate.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Stacy

Premium Member

to Stacy
You were not getting a lot more than the speed you pay for. We would never have been inflicted with that horrible Powerboost MISLEADING GARBAGE except for folks like you. TWC knew that most users are extremely ignorant about computers and would believe their lies and would use only a total crap, utter garbage speed test from speedtest.net that has been paying TWC to get its users to use it. If you had ever done a PROPER speedtest like the OOL FTP download test you would have realized that the FALSELY INFLATED speed you were seeing on speedtest.net was not the real speed you were getting. Or if you were a Sam Knows FCC broadband tester you would have seen the REAL speed as only Sam Knows, and one other test that I know of, are capable of filtering out the very few seconds of Power Boost and showing you the REAL speed you were getting.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing is not the speed but the QUALITY OF SERVICE test. Look at Konaguy See Profile Visualware test a few posts up in this thread. He has an excellent connection at 99% QOS. That is far more important than the download speed itself which could be quite high but if he had a QOS of, say, 83% or 56%, etc it would not matter one whit that he had speed at or above his tier level in practical terms as his experience with streaming, voice (for those who have that), gaming, etc would be poor.

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich to richrockstar

to richrockstar
Well I am in Rural Ohio and for 100/100 fiber connection from TWC would cost me 1700 dollars.

TWC_User
join:2013-07-31
Los Angeles
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
(Software) pfSense
Humax BGW320-500
TP-Link EAP610

TWC_User

said by treich:

Well I am in Rural Ohio and for 100/100 fiber connection from TWC would cost me 1700 dollars.

Well yeah putting fiber and additional equipments will probably cost that much... and maybe even force you to put in a contract too.

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich

this was for an business account not residential just fyi

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to SanAntonioTx

Premium Member

to SanAntonioTx
Overnight modem lost sync at exactly 3am and something was done. Now I am on ultimate 50/5 but seems i am getting 55/5.5 now.

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 01140654

AnClar
Premium Member
join:2003-07-31
Belton, TX

AnClar to SanAntonioTx

Premium Member

to SanAntonioTx
Yeah...I seem to have gotten the slight ~10% speed increase here in central Texas.

ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

TWC knew that most users are extremely ignorant about computers and would believe their lies and would use only a total crap, utter garbage speed test from speedtest.net that has been paying TWC to get its users to use it. If you had ever done a PROPER speedtest like the OOL FTP download test you would have realized that the FALSELY INFLATED speed you were seeing on speedtest.net was not the real speed you were getting. Or if you were a Sam Knows FCC broadband tester you would have seen the REAL speed as only Sam Knows, and one other test that I know of, are capable of filtering out the very few seconds of Power Boost and showing you the REAL speed you were getting.

I am a SamKnows node and I find it agrees pretty consistently with the results I get from speedtest.net using a site about 50 miles to the west that isn't hosted by TWC.

Granted this is on D3 @50/5.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Well sure. You never had Power Boost at that speed tier so the speed on a very brief Flash test would not be distorted by Power Boost interference which is what I was referring to mostly. But the other problem with speedtest.net or any test other than Visualware's MySpeed or Web100 Java test is the fact that the ONLY result a quick Flash test can report is can you get your provisioned speed. Flash test cannot tell you whether or not you QOS is good or anything else. It's a junk test.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

4 edits

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

Click for full size
»www.Speedtest.net (actually Ookla) changed their test shortly after Powerboost became widespread. It became a longer duration test with a graph of speed vs time so Powerboost effects were much more visible and had much less of an effect on final reported speeds. To outright discount what those tests show, especially if you don't use them regularly and are able to compare them with other tests, is ignorant. Running a single test of any type can be misleading.

Shortly before that change to speedtest.net, Ookla made a QOS test available and put it on its own site, »www.pingtest.net. It's quite useful on its own. Behind the scenes both of the tests track a number of performance, client, and location statistics then log them in an extensive database. Some results are visible to end users. Others are visible to the ISPs who contract Ookla's services for their own purposes. »www.netindex.com will show you some of that.

Flash is really just another programming environment like java is. The tests created with it can be just as accurate or inaccurate as java tests. Whether the tests are made from Java, Flash, C#, C++, or what ever programming language isn't as important as the quality of results and method it uses to get its results. Also, if the results are displayed in an odd, non-standard, or inconsistent manner it can cause problems with understanding what they're actually showing.

BTW, you used to think Sam Knows tests were crap: »Re: [TWC] Big Island (Hawaii) Road Runner Speed Increase

Elyria
join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH

Elyria to Mele20

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

It's a junk test.

cleve twc
@rr.com

cleve twc to SanAntonioTx

Anon

to SanAntonioTx
Click for full size
35.5 mbps
Click for full size
5.6 mbps
Here's some screen shots...speedtest.net vs. the windows 8 task manager speed test. I have the 30/5 tier and with win 8 tests, it shows 35.5/6.5 mbps. vs. speedtest.net test of 30.6/5.6 mbps.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

What Win 8 Task Manager speed test? I don't see any speed test in Task Manager.

UKEE
join:2012-05-14
Lexington, KY

UKEE

said by Mele20:

What Win 8 Task Manager speed test? I don't see any speed test in Task Manager.

He is talking about the Network Monitor (Probably under Resource Monitor (at least in Windows 7) or something like that). Not sure if the 'Speedtest.net' test accounts for overhead or not (so is actual data throughput). I would assume the Windows resource monitor shows ALL network incoming/outgoing bytes, which would include overhead stuff....but I could be wrong.

Oh, and the numbers are shown on the bottom right side of each of his photos.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY

Racerbob to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
I see it. Thanks for the heads up cleve twc.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to UKEE

Premium Member

to UKEE
Thanks. I see it. It's not at all useful for determining quality of your connection. (But then neither is any Flash speed test). It showed me getting speed way above my 20/2 cap...sounds great...until I did some proper Java speed tests (Visualware MySpeed and Web 100 NDT tests) and both reported way too high TCP maximum delay, excessuve packet loss, duplicate acks, and extremely erratic speed.

I wish users would stop with the crap speed tests and use decent ones.