join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to William18

Premium Member

to William18

Re: [WA] Weather

said by William18:

I'm ready for winter, probably too soon for some.

Bite your tongue! Winter around here means either rainy days or cloudy days. Freezing rain or freezing fog.

I give you until mid-December until you regret those words

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

I think he lives high and east enough that he gets snow much more than people in the PDX area.

Once I was lucky enough to drive through an area shortly after a major freezing rain -- that was one of the most surreal experience I've ever had. Too bad I didn't have my camera with me.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin

Premium Member

What's PDX?

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

I think it's the Portland Airport.
William18
Premium Member
join:2010-04-18
Washougal, WA

William18 to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

Bite your tongue! Winter around here means either rainy days or cloudy days. Freezing rain or freezing fog.

Never, tongue would be too swollen by then.

@aurgathor, yep, have a much better chance of it.

Gizy
Have you thanked a soldier today?
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
Midwest

Gizy to Voxxjin

Premium Member

to Voxxjin
said by Voxxjin:

What's PDX?

It is the airport like sashwa See Profile said but its also how a lot of locals refer to the Portland area.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to Voxxjin

to Voxxjin
PD stands for PortlanD, X may stand for eXtended, but I'm not 100% sure about that letter. PDX can either mean just the airport, or the greater Portland area, depending on the context.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

it's short for KPDX which is the international AirNav code for Portland ie a very specific spot on the globe.
bigger airports have easy to understand codes like (k)SEA while newer small ones get weird ones like OGG (old/us) and and PHOG (current international standard) are both Kahului Airport maui, hi.
When ever you go anyplace by commercial aircraft a flight plan Lists many of these 3, 4 letter codes describe a series of points along the way (some are just a beacon/point on the chart)
many become slang for the town the airport is near just as Beantown (Boston) and nola (New Orleans) denote other identifiers.
Once you know the ones important to you they make a quick Google shortcut for maps and info nearby
KTCM= McChord (now joint base Lewis McChord)= and about a thousand other things doesn't work well, but ABQ= Albuquerque works much better.

Gizy
Premium Member
Midwest

Gizy to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

said by William18:

I'm ready for winter, probably too soon for some.

Can we keep the sun and at least have fall temps? This 80+ is killing me. This is my first summer in the new upstairs apartment. It's currently 83 in my front room where I'm sitting. The bedroom is warmer. The front room temp is partially due to making pasta for a late lunch. Good to know I can what the place in the winter just by cooking dinner.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by Gizy:

Can we keep the sun and at least have fall temps?

Works for me!
tshirt

3 edits

1 recommendation

tshirt to Gizy

Premium Member

to Gizy
said by Gizy :

The front room temp is partially due to making pasta for a late lunch...

BTW getting up early (a little) to make a Pasta primavera salad (spring style) for a lunch or 2 (even dinner on those killer days) avoids that high humidity of cooking pasta on hot days, one of our strategies that helps in a warm house.
»www.americastestkitchen. ··· **ASCA00
In fact dinner tonight is going to be something along these lines, with some left over (on purpose) grilled chicken, shredded in.
»www.cooks.com/recipe/i10 ··· lad.html

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

I like chilled salads, fruit or green smoothies made with frozen fruit and/or ice cubes, etc for meals this time of year

Gizy
Premium Member
Midwest

1 recommendation

Gizy

Premium Member

Take out works well too