beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck to Jonathan2

MVM

to Jonathan2

Re: Verizon and AT&T

You might want to think about getting a cheap phone and pre-pay over AT&T. Then just forward your current phone to it. Don't know if you can live without a smart phone or not, or if this is something that would work for you. Just an option you may not have thought about.
Jonathan2
join:2011-12-21

Jonathan2

beck: That is exactly what we did. We've used a pair of cheap phones for 2 years now. It's for the purpose of getting cell service in a remote place. So it would be nice if we could get data too.

willzzz: Thank you so much for your detailed and coherent reply. It's still just so hard to get over how silly these policies are (I buy a phone advertised as able to work on any network, and both major carriers have secret agreements to prevent fair competition). I mean in the end, if I did this, Verizon loses no money and I'm still a loyal everyday customer. (although this lack of coverage has provided plenty reason to switch... AT&T's coverage in the same exact area is very widespread.)

So, if I read you correctly, I could walk into an AT&T store with a Verizon activated iPhone 5 and walk out with an AT&T SIM & 30 days of data? If true, it would just make me even more pissed at the AT&T rep I talked to, because he told me that the US restrictions of the 4S also applied to the 5.
And now my dad (with the 5) has already left for the trip to the Verizon dead zone :\
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

The 5 on Verizon is LTE, all LTE vzw devices are unlocked on the sim, part of the rules the govt put on the sale of the 700mhz block vzw bought