uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1

[Off Topic] So, if Charter buys out Cox

Would you stay or go? Cox has been very good to me and even calling me about problems we've been having, assuring they are being looked at, such as TV dips during perfect weather, slow speeds, and our Christmas outage (that came back the next business day) two years ago, service has been a champ here, despite the high prices, and they want $10.00 for the 6 tuner DVR? Hell no.

TIVO looks better every day, even if it's for 3 TV's out of the 4...

What do ya'll think?

-Rob

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
Cox has not been good to me, but I've dealt with Charter before and they where much worse so I'd leave. My lease is about up and time warner isn't to far away so I'd pick a place to live NOT in cox territory. I didn't have any problems with time warner back in NC.
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1
reply to Rob_
Id rather find a place where you can get FIOS.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
I doubt we will see anything come of this. The whole thing smells of Charter just trying create a stir so it can play Cox against other providers at the negotiation table. Though it certainly warrants conversation because there is some legitimate public evidence. Check out a interesting video on Bloomberg.

»www.bloomberg.com/video/cox-char ··· a2A.html

Does anyone else know of any good sources?

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
reply to Rob_
Go where?

The only option I would have is a 3G stick for my router. Not much of an option.

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
reply to Rob_
I am opposed this charter acquiring the Cox communications!

Cox works fine for me, no issue problems. why acquire them? I see there is no need to fix anything by acquires cox into charter area if it isn't broken then don't need to fix it.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
It isn't about fixing anything, its about money. Charter wants a bigger market share so they play hard ball with the content providers (IE ESPN) who have been increasing their rates as of late. The actual solution is give up on providing content and focus on bandwidth delivery, but thats a hard pill to swallow, its the writing on the wall though.

ikyuaoki

Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit
said by Optimus2357:

It isn't about fixing anything, its about money. Charter wants a bigger market share so they play hard ball with the content providers (IE ESPN) who have been increasing their rates as of late. The actual solution is give up on providing content and focus on bandwidth delivery, but thats a hard pill to swallow, its the writing on the wall though.

Well, if Charter can't deliver the bandwidth or better service... that is broken. that would be waste of money. Charter needs go out of business in the cable industry.

I am doubt that if I could put a trust into charter... here's words: I don't trust charter communications at all, period.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

1 recommendation

Hmm, let me see how I can put this. All cable companies have to pay people like ABC, CBS, ESPN, etc to allow them to put their shows on their cable wire. When cable companies pay, they make a contract that lets them put those shows on for a certain amount of time. After the allotted time those contracts come back up for renegotiation. A cable company wants to pay as little as possible, both to keep cost down for the customer, and make more profit. Content providers (ABC,CBS,NBC, etc) keep wanting more and more money though, because of cost going up (inflation) and because they want to make more profit too. But they know if they ask for too much, the cable companies won't pay. But they also know if one cable company doesn't get a channel, people would be less likly to choose them. For instance, if Cox didn't get ABC, and Verizon did, a lot of people would switch to Verizon.

So each time a contract comes up, the two play games to try to get the best deal out of the other, kind of like a Union threatening to strike if they don't get better wages. In the end, the content providers usually "win" (get more money) and prices for cable go up. What companies like Charter want to do is buy other cable companies so that when they go to the bargaining table, they don't have to worry as much about losing customers, because there would be less companies for customers to switch to, and companies like ESPN know this, so won't be able to ask for as much. The problem with that is having less cable companies mean less competition, which usually means higher prices and a possible worst product for the customer.

So we don't want Charter to go out of business. If anything, we (the customer) want more cable companies, like small local ones, to pop up to provide more competition. But as more and more people watch Netflix and Youtube, they watch normal TV less and less. Eventually TV will be about as important as your home phone if you have a cell phone, not very important. But as more and more people stream phone and video over the internet, demand for faster and better internet will go up. Rather then spending a lot of money to buy other cable companies, they should just sit back, wait for Cable to become less important, and let the content provider come to them with cheaper prices as they realize their product is less relevant in todays market. Some companies like ESPN already know this going to happen, and thats why they have moved a lot of content off their normal TV channel, and put it online, so they can ask for more money for you to watch some of their stuff online. Make sense?

ikyuaoki

Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
(sigh) not everyone have cable TV, they have more choices to use the cable TV or not. it is up to them (customers) to make choices.

here's I choose an internet standalone so I pay just 110 dollars included rental combo gateway cable modem, I am getting more than 150Mbits on the common speed tests.

I feel that charter needs to improve the customer service since I heard that their service is terrible.

anyway, if charter does that to acquire the cox then I will drop business with them away that is I will threaten them with dropping the doing business with them.

In additional, if charter does get in a way to acquires the cox then that would be messed up the tier settings.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
Oh, trust me, I don't want Charter to buy Cox either. I was stating the reasoning because it sounded like you were missing the complexity of the matter.

ikyuaoki

Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
if that your talking about TV showing companies like a ESPN, I'm not interested in cable TV.

I understood what you are saying about demanding to hike the cable TV prices up, I'm not on that cable TV because I'm on the cable broadband only and that's it, nothing more.

in results, I do not want this creepy charter to acquire the cox because they will screws us up so very bad. again, I am oppose the acquire talking in negotiating.

SlashG42

join:2002-02-13
Metairie, LA
Your posts make my brain hurt.

I do agree that Charter taking over doesn't sound like a good deal for the consumer.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
What about the other way around Cox, buys or atleast gets to put some Cox people on the board of directors, so it's not all Charter management?

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
Hard to say what would happen, but I think Charter would do what ever was best for Charter. They have been up and down, between buying other companies and bankruptcy in 2007. If you want a scare..read their wiki page. :-(

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_Co ··· ications

bleomycin

join:2010-11-28
Newport Coast, CA
Yes, at least in southern orange county cox seems to be the worst ISP by miles. I have charter in south lake tahoe which is an incredibly tiny market compared to orange county and have had 100mbit service from them for years now! I pay more for a pathetic 400GB/month cap and 50Mbit with cox, what a joke.

Krak

@cox.net
quote:
Yes, at least in southern orange county cox seems to be the worst ISP by miles. I have charter in south lake tahoe which is an incredibly tiny market compared to orange county and have had 100mbit service from them for years now! I pay more for a pathetic 400GB/month cap and 50Mbit with cox, what a joke.
And what, specifically, makes you feel like Cox is the worst ISP out there? Lots of "problem solvers" browse these forums - for the sole reason that we like the challenge.

You could respond in here at the beginning, but if it gets to where it starts hijacking this thread - create your own.

termites

@cox.net
I Would leave cox in a heart beat....

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
reply to Rob_
Look on the bright side, if Charter buys Cox (something I think is extremely unlikely), our friend charterengr See Profile, formerly coxengr will be back to help us.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
Assuming they don't restructure and fire a whole bunch of people from both side, which is probably likely. I know some Comcast friends that lost their job that way.

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA
reply to Rob_
Not sure where I would go as Cox is the only legit player in my market.

Love monopolies