Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

[Other] A modest proposal

How about this idea for pricing:

Look at a typical offer:
Digital TV & 25 Mbps High-Speed Internet
$39.99 per month package price is a promotional rate and valid for 12 months from installation date; thereafter, months 13-24 is $47.99; months 25-36 is $55.99

Signature Digital TV & 25 Mbps High-Speed Internet & Phone
$109.99 per month package price is a promotional rate and valid for 12 months from installation date; thereafter, months 13-24 is $117.99; months 25-36 is $125.99.

What if RCN made the first year introductory rate available to longer term customers in exchange for paying 6 months at a time in advance (NONREFUNDABLE)?

Wouldn't that be a reasonable compromise? I am not sure how many people would go for it.

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg
join:2001-05-01
Elmhurst, NY

cchhat01

The idea has some merit.
However, given the situation on my block where speeds choked during peak hours. This puts me in a bad spot once I make an upfront payment, I'm stuck with them for 6 months.
Also, there needs to be a backout clause in which you can run speedtests and show them that your speeds are bad and you should be given your money back.
The good thing behind such a plan is that they can take the money upfront and run their network upgrades in a more streamlined fashion. I am sure that areas such as mine (Elmhurst, NY) are in dire need of some upgrades.

Seiko
@rcn.com

Seiko to Pacomartin

Anon

to Pacomartin
Some people have an issue with paying form service 1 month in advanced much less 6 months in advanced so sorry that portion of your idea is terrible

Pacomartin
Bethlehem, PA

1 recommendation

Pacomartin

said by Seiko :

Some people have an issue with paying form service 1 month in advanced much less 6 months in advanced so sorry that portion of your idea is terrible

Some people will object to anything.

Right now many many people are incensed by the idea that well established customers are "required to pay extra" over brand new customers.

The idea that brand new customers are entitled to "month to month payment plans" for the lower price, and established customers must pay longer term may be a little more palatable.

Consumers would much rather see a one price fits all rate plan, but most service companies want to attract new customers with teaser rates.
Pacomartin

Pacomartin

quote:
Consumers would much rather see a one price fits all rate plan, but most service companies want to attract new customers with teaser rates.
Well consumers can't get everything they want. To give you an example, I called the cable company and asked if I dropped the telephone from the triple bundle would they remove the $13 in telephone taxes and fees that are tacked on the bill every month. I said don't mess with the main charge. They said no, that would involve renegotiation of the entire package, and the monthly rate would go up only now it wouldn't include telephone.

So basically they were telling me if I wanted to remove telephone service, I had to cancel my package, and wait 30 or 60 days to re-apply under a new teaser rate. In the interim I would have to do without internet, television and phone.

I feel that companies have the right to offer teaser rates. If it was one price fits all, it wouldn't be the teaser rate. However, as some solace to long standing customers, they should be entitled to get the same teaser rate if they prepay for more than 30 days.

bradleyJ
@rcn.com

bradleyJ

Anon

Your modest proposal isn't so modest. Retail customers pay 50-100% more on service than those on teaser rates. Why would RCN give up that revenue for payment 30 days in advanced? Most customers probably pay on time and those that dont get Penalized or eventually disconnected. On top of that I'm sure many are on auto pay so RCN gets it's money while maximizing revenue. Cable companies would all go out of business if everyone was on teaser rates. Find another way to save money if you don't like what your paying.
Expand your moderator at work

Pacomartin
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin to bradleyJ

to bradleyJ

Re: [Other] A modest proposal

said by bradleyJ :

Find another way to save money if you don't like what your paying.

OK. The standby is to keep jumping from company to company to look for best teaser rate.

cdr1000
join:2004-02-18

cdr1000 to Pacomartin

to Pacomartin
1. New customers pay less.
2. Loyal customers never get a discount
3. Even after 10+ years of being RCN customer I have to threaten to leave every time.
4. They will never get it.