spc
Search similar:

uniqs
vanenk
join:2004-06-09
Cabot, AR

vanenk

[Connectivity] Time for a new modem

I have decided to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. The 2.0 modem I currently have might be having trouble, and I am considering upgrading speed in the next few months, so I might as well bite the bullet.

I'd like to hear opinions and experiences as to what brands/models might be best. I have read Suddenlink's listing of preferred and compatible modems, but I also know that because of differences in hardware, engineering, etc, some brands/models perform better than others in specific geographic locales. I'm in Cabot (central AR), so I'd really like to hear from anyone else in this area, but all input is appreciated.

So let me know your thoughts about:
1. Performance with regard to reliability and speed of connections
2. Feature set, price, quality, options, longevity, etc
3. Which modems to avoid

Thanks

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

I prefer the surfboard modems. As far as longevity, purchasing a modem pays itself off in about a year vs renting.

mtech
join:2002-10-20
·AT&T FTTP

1 edit

mtech to vanenk

to vanenk
You might consider the upgrade sooner if you currently have a purchased modem. When Suddenlink did speed upgrades in Jonesboro, AR they replaced my purchased Toshiba modem with an Arris Docsys 3 modem at no cost to me. The Arris has worked well. I also have a friend on Suddenlink in Jacksonville, AR who is using the Arris modem with no problems.

I am on the 20 mbps tier and this is a current speed test:

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6648.png
Snapped 2013-10-09 19:45:39
anklosaur
join:2003-02-16
Tyler, TX
Netgear R6400
ARRIS SB6183

anklosaur to vanenk

to vanenk
Motorola SB6120 here, purchased, in service for well over a year with no problems. Also using same at work with no problems and excellent performance. Interesting side note, when ARRIS acquired Motorola Mobility from Google back last December, they got the modem products. I'm starting to see newer Surfboards branded "ARRIS/Motorola" at retail.
thehudd
join:2006-11-06
Nixa, MO

thehudd to vanenk

to vanenk
I, too, have the Arris Docsis 3.0 modem purchased from Suddenlink for $1.00. Never had a problem with it and consistently see the 30 meg speed I'm paying for.
vanenk
join:2004-06-09
Cabot, AR

vanenk

said by thehudd:

I, too, have the Arris Docsis 3.0 modem purchased from Suddenlink for $1.00. Never had a problem with it and consistently see the 30 meg speed I'm paying for.

Where can I get the $1.00 modem? Or is that a typo?
Turbo Mach 5
join:2008-05-29
San Augustine, TX

Turbo Mach 5 to vanenk

to vanenk
Motorola Surfboard 6121 (retail not OEM). Working fine (and even felt a little speedier than the Arris 3.0 they originally issued me). Had it for a few months and I'm loving it. Like moldy and the other said, buying one pays for itself.
thehudd
join:2006-11-06
Nixa, MO

thehudd to vanenk

to vanenk
No, wasn't a typo. I think it was a special "retention" offer after I complained about the cost of service. Got the 30 mbps upgrade and the one dollar modem.