share rss forum feed

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

Bell Promos

I had an interesting conversation with Bell, yesterday. I had Bell High Speed 5 /800 package. I was paying $74.95 for that. Called Bell and asked if they could do better. They could. I ended up with Fibe 5 (no speed change, no technician visit). Cost will be $37.95. Had to buy the modem for $49.95 (one time cost, will be credited if Bell ever upgrades to higher speeds). Unlimited downloads. No modem rental. $20 bundle discount because I have three Bell services (phone, Bell TV & internet). That discount lasts as long as I have three services.

One think thing the Bell CSR noted was that sometimes, in rural areas, cancelling a dial-up phone and switching to wireless may not be the best thing to do. Bell has refused to reinstall wire service once it has been removed, even though the physical plant may be in place.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Riplin

join:2002-05-13
canada

1 edit

You were paying 74.95 for 5/800 just so you could keep your unlimited and dl under 10gb/mth?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

said by Riplin:

You were paying 74.95 for 5/800 just so you could keep your unlimited and dl under 10gb/mth?

Yup. But it was a business (home office) tax deduction for my wife. She changed jobs, so I sought out a better deal. BTW, it was a grandfathered HSLD package, so it was guaranteed unlimited. 5/800 is the fastest speed anyone can offer DSL, BTW. Rogers has faster packages, but they have crowding problems.
--

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

One think thing the Bell CSR noted was that sometimes, in rural areas, cancelling a dial-up phone and switching to wireless may not be the best thing to do. Bell has refused to reinstall wire service once it has been removed, even though the physical plant may be in place.

Interesting. I've seen them refuse to add high speed back on a line that once had it because their distance limitation criteria had changed over the years, but I haven't seen them refuse to re-activate primary phone service.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to DKS

It'll be interesting if Bell actually keeps their promise and gives you unlimited...

I'm guessing, since you have 3 services, is that they'll somehow be crediting you the $10 for the unlimited option they have now.
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

said by HiVolt:

It'll be interesting if Bell actually keeps their promise and gives you unlimited...

I'm guessing, since you have 3 services, is that they'll somehow be crediting you the $10 for the unlimited option they have now.

It is unlimited now. Here us how the order is printed:

Removed: High Speed Internet Service 75.95
Removed: Modem 4.95
Removed: McAfee® Security from Bell Good

Added: Bell Internet 5 Plus 48.95
• Non Contract, $20 off ongoing
• Included Internet Usage - 95 GB
Added: Discount 20.00cr
Added: Modem 49.95 (One Time)
Added: McAfee® Security from Bell Better

Total Changes (before taxes) 51.95cr 49.95

I'll watch. I never use more than 95 GB in a month, so I'm not worried.
--

Riplin

canada
reply to DKS

Riplin shakes his head....

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

said by Riplin:

Riplin shakes his head....

By all means. I am now paying the same as any other provider around here.
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to DKS

And Purolater left a new modem kit yesterday, although I am at the cottage and not at home. It was left by the door, in plain sight. I was told that there would be no modem exchange necessary. I now have three Bell modems. A Speedstream 4200, a 5200 and now a 2Wire. I'll make a call on Friday, when I am back in town, to figure out which option I want.
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

They still have 2wires? I thought they are only sending out Sagemcoms now.
--

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..

said by HiVolt:

They still have 2wires? I thought they are only sending out Sagemcoms now.

Yeah. 2Wires for anything at or below 7Mbps, Sagemcoms for 15Mbps+ tiers (including 15/1).

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to DKS

Installed the 2Wire and surprise! Discovered that Bell has messed with my profile. Speed tests dropped from 4.3 meg down to 3.4 meg down; still .6 meg up. I was on the 5056/800 profile, but the line was declared substandard, although I have had zero problems with it. Ping went from 80ms to 15 ms, however (good for gaming!) I have asked Bell Direct to do their thing, as they have been able to reset the speed in the past and lock Bell's little minders out.
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

Hehe, are you surprised?
--

Riplin

canada
reply to DKS

3.4 is fine for browsing and email. Should leave you right there.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

said by Riplin:

3.4 is fine for browsing and email. Should leave you right there.

Why? I do more than that. And the line is proved capable of it. The problem is that to do so takes it out of spec. When all you have is 5 meg, with no possibility of upgrade until the second coming, you fight for everything you can get.
--

delius

join:2006-07-30
Dorchester, ON

Left bell years ago for cable. 45.00. Dlrs. Free wifi hitron modem. price guarantee for 8 yrs. 200gb limit. Speed 35/3. Rogers

sm5w2
Premium
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON
reply to DKS

Why did they need to do anything about your existing modem?

Why not have you keep using your existing modem (and keep you paying the monthly modem fee)? Or why not charge you the $50 for a 1-time payment for your existing modem and drop the monthly fee?

Could you have declined the new Bell modem (with it's $50 one-time purchase fee) and instead use what-ever you have kicking around or could buy at retail for 1/2 the price ?

Aside: Is it normal / typical for Bell to offer or allow modem purchase for someone subscribing to Fibe? In other words, is monthly modem-rental fees optional for Fibe if you source your own modem? Or does it depend on whether the Fibe service is 7mb or less?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

said by sm5w2:

Could you have declined the new Bell modem (with it's $50 one-time purchase fee) and instead use what-ever you have kicking around or could buy at retail for 1/2 the price ?

I thought I had.

Aside: Is it normal / typical for Bell to offer or allow modem purchase for someone subscribing to Fibe?

No idea.
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to DKS

After posting in the Bell Direct forum, all is back to where it was before the modem exchange. Stability has returned to the world.
--