how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

scottan

join:2007-08-04

1 edit

Goodbye and thanks for all the bits

I've been with TS for over 2 years, and referred many friends and colleagues over that time. I'm dropping TS due to their ineffective customer and account service. Few months ago I ordered a phone line to work from home, they screwed up and activated it late. Now I need more upload speed so bought a new modem this week....

Me: I have this new modem, here's the info from it, can I get it working tonight?
TS: Wait 2 days
Me: I need it done tomorrow, can you please expedite?
TS: We can expedite after 2 days
Me: (TS doesn't even know what expedite means, this is bad)
... 2.5 days later...
ME: Is my new modem registered? Can I do my speed upgrade?
TS: Modem was done two days ago. Speedchange has to wait until next bill cycle.
Me: (Tries new modem)It's not working. And why the wait for speed change, just do it!
TS: Modem could be another 2 days. Monday's a holiday so maybe Tuesday (unintelligible babble from an agent who just does not know his stuff)
Me: That's a week after I called, expedite this!
TS: That's our policy

Even the TS direct support gives me the same crap. Am I the only one who expects an ISP in 2013 to respond better than this? Changing ISPs is such a pain but I can't keep paying for this "service".

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

Re: Goodbye and thaks for all the bits

anything we send to Rogers right now is delayed by 5 days.

videotron: 2-3 weeks.

not sure about the others. I'll check.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

scottan

join:2007-08-04
So your people are lying to me AND it takes 5 days to do anything. /fp

jmarlatt2

join:2006-09-20
Chatham, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
TSI is at the mercy of Rogers, bell, cogeco, etc when it comes to these things. It's stupid that if you wanted rogers or cogeco Internet they'll hop right on it and you'll get it done in no time, somehow there is a delay for all iisp work.

If you have Internet through the teleco and need service it's next day usually for my area, but they make all iisp customers wait a week or more usually, and then still mess everything up.

Guess this is ther way of competing.

If there is no reason for these delays the crtc should step up and do something.

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to scottan

Re: Goodbye and thanks for all the bits

any company you call will not give you internet in 2 days, if on another company they could not do what you wanted tsi todo within 2 days, tech support is a crap shoot depending on persons skill level and knowledge dealing with of every aspect/process of their company.
if you have a problem w/your internet(disconnected) its a min of 2 days b4 robbers will even look into it never mind trying to get a speed change

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
reply to scottan

The "2 days" you keep hearing is the amount of time it takes Rogers to even READ anything Teksavvy sends them. That's why all of this is so miserable. Your experience will be similar with any other third-party provider, sadly. It's all part of Rogers' efforts to get people to return to their overpriced, low-cap service.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile

1 recommendation

reply to scottan

Yup that's how it works.

A request goes to Rogers ... they have a 48 hour response time. Note that's a RESPONSE time, not a do it time!

It applies to nearly everything. Outages, new installs etc.

Just occasionally Rogers gets off their butts and actually surprises everybody and things happen more quickly, but it's rare. Usually though the only time Rogers moves quicker than 48 hours is when they've screwed up several times and the TPIA pushes on them with extra veracity. But it won't happen normally.

You can blame the CRTC for letting Rogers get away with this nonsense.

TSI Jonathan
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10

1 recommendation

reply to scottan

Hi scottan,

As stated by others under your posts, it usually is up to 48 hours for Rogers to reply to any of our request with confirmations.

Since the floods and the bad storms, they had all efforts put into that + our many requests for speeds changes that we are receiving as we switch to aggregated on top of all the day-to-day requests that we send them (new installs, transfers, move orders, cancellations, modem swaps, etc). We are pushing reminders to the contact center floor and have adjusted our activation time lines this week to reflect this delay. Very sorry that you were not made aware of this but we have put all efforts possible to inform our customers the best way possible and we will continue to do so as we go into our busy back to school season.

Thank you,

TSI Jonathan
--
E-Services Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

NytOwl

join:2012-09-27
canada

1 edit
reply to scottan

said by scottan:

Me: I have this new modem, here's the info from it, can I get it working tonight?

Frankly, right off the bat you're coming off as arrogant with unreasonably high expectations.

I acknowledge that you encountered a longer delay than what most would consider acceptable; I'd be upset, too.

But if you really think it's legit to expect a speed & modem change to go through almost instantaneously on the very day you make the request, you need to revise your understanding of the processes in place.

Also, I'd love to hear your reasoning for why an increase in upload speed at your residence would be so urgent. Unless you omitted something, your Internet is functional as it is. Sure, it may be slower than ultimately desirable, but where's the fire? I see no need to be so confrontational with your request.

Like others have said, TekSavvy and every other indie ISP in this country is at the mercy of the incumbents; that's the flip-side of having a lower monthly bill. The dead horse in question continues to be beaten.

Wild Willie

join:2003-08-27
Charlotte, NC
said by NytOwl:

said by scottan:

Like others have said, TekSavvy and every other indie ISP in this country is at the mercy of the incumbents; that's the flip-side of having a lower monthly bill. The dead horse in question has been beaten to death.

Then the carcass needs to be removed from the road so no one else comes along and beats on it more. ie. fix the problem

NytOwl

join:2012-09-27
canada
said by Wild Willie:

said by NytOwl:

Like others have said, TekSavvy and every other indie ISP in this country is at the mercy of the incumbents; that's the flip-side of having a lower monthly bill. The dead horse in question has been beaten to death.

Then the carcass needs to be removed from the road so no one else comes along and beats on it more. ie. fix the problem

Complain to the CRTC. This is nothing the indie ISPs, TSI or otherwise, can fix themselves.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to Wild Willie
Since you're in Charlotte NC, you'll understand how it's not easily fixable. The problem was created and can only be fixed by the Canadian equivalent of the FCC. You can enlighten them as much as you like about the problem, but they are apparently in bed with the incumbents who ensure that the problem occurs. In other words they have no intention to change the rules of interaction between the incumbent and the TPIA providers. All they will say is "that's how it is ... deal with it"

Since TPIA providers (the likes of TekSavvy) purchase last mile service from incumbents like Bell (phone) and Rogers (cable), the incumbents have everything to gain from thwarting the success of TPIAs ... the customers will run back to the incumbent due to the hassles (many having forgotten the hassles that drove them to a TPIA in the process of course).

So the incumbents who have previous employees on the CRTC (FCC equivalent) probably play golf and eat dinners with the incumbents to attempt to influence them to ensure that the status quo doesn't change.

Sound familiar?

Neo

join:2012-03-16
reply to scottan
TS should just be their own ISP with their own infrastructure.
There, problem fixed.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
No Third party provider can afford to build sufficient last mile infrastructure to provide affordable internet. Remember the phone service infrastructure was built over many years (some phone lines into homes are well over 50 years old), and the cable service leverages plant upgrade costs against internet, cable and home phone service.

Companies like TekSavvy simply don't have the cash or leveraging power to afford the billions it would cost to lay a 3rd cable (copper or fibre) to a wide spread network.

MJB

join:2012-01-29
it's the crtc the telecoms the lobbyists plus the stupid sheeple public who supports them... that's the problem.... consumer -> rogers - > lobbyists -> crtc -> repeat

it's a loophole created by the businesses...

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to sbrook
Except in the USA, the FCC does not govern the Internet

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to sbrook
Except that TK has built a last mile network; full FTTH, only later to sell it. Marc was even posting that it was sold due to it was too far away from them.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
But that's the point it's too difficult and expensive to build a last mile network to cover all the area that TekSavvy would like to cover. They need people on the ground all over the coverage area at which point you've built another Rogers or Bell.

MJB

Reviews:
·VMedia
·ACN DSL
reply to TBBroadband
nice to live on 100 dollars a month and the cost of living is more than 100 dollars.. youtube/twitch/livestreaming is my only option. i lose jobs faster than i get them... i expect that from employers who don't care about actual workers... just people who socialize all day and no work.... example staples... sell 30000 dollars of chinese garbage to people...

anyway internet is important option with issue of censorship, data caps, and speed....

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to TBBroadband
Buying a company is not building out a network. Plus it was in the middle of nowhere.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to sbrook
Plus they would need billions to get there. TSI does not have that kind of capital or access to it at all.

MJB

what is stupid is not even making an effort to lay a fiber network... not even starting... you don't need 100000000 dollars to start and you couldn't lay all that fiber in a day... ****!!!

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to 34764170
TK claimed they built that network, which is not the customers' fault that it was out in the middle of nowhere.
Expand your moderator at work

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to 34764170

Loans and loans. It's possible.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to MJB
They laid fibre into Perth. It is a comparatively easy town to do so . Laying fibre into Toronto on the other hand would be ridiculously expensive. The cost to dig up a street is just phenomenal ... there aren't tunnels everywhere. The trouble is that Toronto is the place you'd really want to lay in fibre to the home to make money because of the population density to make the money. Towns like Perth are great for a trial, but not for making money!

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to MJB
they tired, and sold it. they built it out in the middle of nowhere.
Expand your moderator at work

Etobicoke, ON
reply to TBBroadband

They (TSI) didn't build anything.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to TBBroadband
Easier said than done.